Are we living in the last days?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: From speaking with my brothers and sister, far from undermining our faith and causing confusion, the impact of coronavirus only serves to strengthen our conviction we are living in the last days and our resolve to preach the good news of the kingdom before the Lord tells us the work is complete.
For debate:

otseng
Savant

Re: Re:

Post #311

Post by otseng »

Diagoras wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:29 am
otseng wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:46 amAnd the only "evidence" they've provided is we haven't had the last days yet.

I can sorta sympathize with that point of view, but given all the evidence surrounding us around the world, their argument is not very convincing, especially given that we see events occurring that has never happened before in the history of the world (a global lockdown, synchronized falling assets, negative interest rates, negative oil prices, etc).
April now seems like a long time ago. The global economy’s not yet collapsed and there are multiple vaccines now pretty much at the ‘rollout’ stage.

I’m wondering whether some people’s fear of ‘the end of the world’ is still as strong, nine months since the quoted post above?
I don't think I've ever said it would be the "end of the world". However, I have said:
otseng wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:41 am We are in the last days of the United States as a great nation ... We are entering a global super depression that history books will be talking about for thousands of years from now (if humanity still exists).
I believe the only reason we haven't entered economic collapse yet is all the fiscal and monetary stimulus that has been injected into the economy. Congress just reached a $900 billion stimulus bill. If we are "recovering", why the need for almost another trillion in stimulus?

As for monetary policy, M1 money supply has been skyrocketing. Below is the chart since 1975. Notice what has happened this year.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M1

Without all this fiscal and monetary injection, I believe we would've collapsed economically. And highly doubtful they will ever stop injecting money. But, continually borrowing from the future is unsustainable. At some point, playing with all this funny money will come due. So, for people thinking it's smooth sailing from here since vaccines are being administered and the stock market is doing great, I maintain the view we are witnessing the US in its last days.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #312

Post by Diagoras »

otseng wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:32 amI don't think I've ever said it would be the "end of the world". However, I have said:
otseng wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:41 am We are in the last days of the United States as a great nation ... We are entering a global super depression that history books will be talking about for thousands of years from now (if humanity still exists).
Near the start of the thread, you did say:
otseng wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:51 pmYes, I think we are starting to see the fulfillment of the end times according to the Bible.

Mar 13:8 KJV - For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.

Am I certain Jesus will return soon? I'm starting to be convinced of it.
My question is: do you remain as convinced now as you were when you posted on Page 2 about biblical end times and the return of Jesus?

otseng
Savant

Post #313

Post by otseng »

Diagoras wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:52 pm
otseng wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:32 am Am I certain Jesus will return soon? I'm starting to be convinced of it.
My question is: do you remain as convinced now as you were when you posted on Page 2 about biblical end times and the return of Jesus?
As for the actual end of the world, probably say I'm not so convinced at the moment.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Are we living in the last days?

Post #314

Post by nobspeople »

otseng wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:42 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: From speaking with my brothers and sister, far from undermining our faith and causing confusion, the impact of coronavirus only serves to strengthen our conviction we are living in the last days and our resolve to preach the good news of the kingdom before the Lord tells us the work is complete.
For debate:
Every day is one more day closer to the last.
End days? People have been pushing that fearmongering (seemingly pleasantly for some odd reason) for years, but it is fear that catches peoples' attention more than most other things it seems so we shouldn't be too surprised.
Instead of focusing on that possibility, we should be living for the now and stop worrying so much about what's to come (or not to come).
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #315

Post by 2timothy316 »

otseng wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:13 pm
otseng wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:32 am Am I certain Jesus will return soon? I'm starting to be convinced of it.
As for the actual end of the world, probably say I'm not so convinced at the moment.
Based on the Bible you'd be correct. There are several things that must happen before the end of this system of things aka 'the world as we know it'. The last days, the declaration of peace and security, a sudden attack on religions, the Great Tribulation, the attack of Gog of Magog and Armageddon are all separate things.

We have been in the last days of the world as we know it since the turn of the century. The Great Tribulation is still to come. As bad as we are seeing things today, though it might be hard to fathom, this is nothing compared to what is to come. The Bible says “great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again.” (Mt 24:3, 21) We are not there yet. We are currently in the last days, as 2 Timothy 3:1-7 says.

Next on the timeline is the declaration of peace and security. "Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them, just like birth pains on a pregnant woman, and they will by no means escape." - 1 Thess 5:3. The "them" that is to receive a 'sudden destruction' is thought to be the religions of the world. The time frame between the proclamation of peace and the sudden destruction is likened to the sound thunder that follows lightening. The two events are very close to each other. It could be possible that the proclamation sparks the other. No one knows exactly how all of this is to play out. Only that it will shock and surprise many.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #316

Post by nobspeople »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:18 am
Based on the Bible you'd be correct. There are several things that must happen before the end of this system of things aka 'the world as we know it'. The last days, the declaration of peace and security, a sudden attack on religions, the Great Tribulation, the attack of Gog of Magog and Armageddon are all separate things.

We have been in the last days of the world as we know it since the turn of the century. The Great Tribulation is still to come. As bad as we are seeing things today, though it might be hard to fathom, this is nothing compared to what is to come. The Bible says “great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again.” (Mt 24:3, 21) We are not there yet. We are currently in the last days, as 2 Timothy 3:1-7 says.

Next on the timeline is the declaration of peace and security. "Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them, just like birth pains on a pregnant woman, and they will by no means escape." - 1 Thess 5:3. The "them" that is to receive a 'sudden destruction' is thought to be the religions of the world. The time frame between the proclamation of peace and the sudden destruction is likened to the sound thunder that follows lightening. The two events are very close to each other. It could be possible that the proclamation sparks the other. No one knows exactly how all of this is to play out. Only that it will shock and surprise many.
IF...we're waiting on peace and security....we'll be waiting a long, long time.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #317

Post by 2timothy316 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 am

It's a superficial proclamation of peace and security, not actual peace and security. They will be trying to heal some breakdown with a claim they have figured out how to achieve peace and safety for all. Jeremiah 8:11 says, "And they try to heal the breakdown of the daughter of my people lightly [footnote: superficially], saying, “There is peace! There is peace!” When there is no peace."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #318

Post by nobspeople »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:26 am
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 am

It's a superficial proclamation of peace and security, not actual peace and security. They will be trying to heal some breakdown with a claim they have figured out how to achieve peace and safety for all. Jeremiah 8:11 says, "And they try to heal the breakdown of the daughter of my people lightly [footnote: superficially], saying, “There is peace! There is peace!” When there is no peace."
Still, that's a long time coming in today's world IMO.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #319

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 am

That's only naturel; scripture indicates even God s people would have to pay attention. not to believe Christs return is far when he in reality is close at hand. Maybe there will be a fake "calm" for the nations to say P&S or maybe it will be pure propaganda ... who knows.

But of one thing I feel sure: only God's people will recognize the significance of the events leading up to the Great tribulation.

Vivre Royaume*!!!

* Long live the kingdom
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #320

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 am
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 am

That's only naturel; scripture indicates even God s people would have to pay attention. not to believe Christs return is far when he in reality is close at hand. Maybe there will be a fake "calm" for the nations to say P&S or maybe it will be pure propagande ... who knows. But of one thing I feel sure: only God's people will recognize the significance of the events leading up to the Great tribulation.

Vivre Royaume*!!!

* Long live the kingdom
Many of "God's people" have claimed 'the time is at hand' in the past with nothing more to show for it than a bruised ego. IMO, those that claim they will recognize it are fooling themselves.

Matthew 24:36-44 NIV
36 "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
Mark 13:32 NIV
32 "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.