Are we living in the last days?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: From speaking with my brothers and sister, far from undermining our faith and causing confusion, the impact of coronavirus only serves to strengthen our conviction we are living in the last days and our resolve to preach the good news of the kingdom before the Lord tells us the work is complete.
For debate:

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Re:

Post #331

Post by 2timothy316 »

Diagoras wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:47 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:57 amThat is why I have this thread bookmarked. So when everything I have been taught and I repeated here comes true you'll know what the true interpretation was. That is, if this forum is still accessible to us when these things take place. Folks are always looking for some miraculous sign, well they will get it when the things posted in this thread happen in order they were given.
You’re placing quite a heavy burden on this site, if it’s being taken as ‘the true interpretation’ of what the End Times will be like.

A Google search of “interpretation of the end times” suggested there are about three hundred and four million posts and articles on the subject. It is of course possible that what you’ve been taught and repeated is the most accurate and likely source of information, but then there’s this as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconfidence_effect
It's not my burden to bare. It's the Bible's burden to bare.

Tcg
Savant

Post #332

Post by Tcg »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:57 am So when everything I have been taught and I repeated here comes true you'll know what the true interpretation was.
Those of us who reject claims like the above are often called scoffers. I will point out once again, however, that we "scoffers" have a 100% flawless record. Those making claims to know the future regarding "end times" are batting zero. They have been absolutely wrong 100% of the time. There is no reason to think this record will ever change.

Nothing you have been taught and repeated here has come true. 0%. An absolute perfect failure rate. I'd suggest reserving gloating for when we see at least a minor change in this absolute failure rate. There is of course no reason the expect any change. No reason to pop the cork.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #333

Post by 2timothy316 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:00 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:57 amThat is why I have this thread bookmarked. So when everything I have been taught and I repeated here comes true you'll know what the true interpretation was. That is, if this forum is still accessible to us when these things take place. Folks are always looking for some miraculous sign, well they will get it when the things posted in this thread happen in order they were given.
You’re placing quite a heavy burden on this site, if it’s being taken as ‘the true interpretation’ of what the End Times will be like.

A Google search of “interpretation of the end times” suggested there are about three hundred and four million posts and articles on the subject. It is of course possible that what you’ve been taught and repeated is the most accurate and likely source of information, but then there’s this as well:

Additionally, I wonder if all the varying opinions on the same topics by fellow believers, posted on this site, will come to pass.
Personally, if things happen as the poster thinks, this site would be the LAST place I'd come. Seems, to me, coming here wouldn't be productive and only allow for the elementary school "Nah nah nah na boo boo I told ya' so!" mentality.
The Bibles says how people will react in Matthew 13:36-42.

Tcg
Savant

Post #334

Post by Tcg »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:40 pm

You made this claim:
"Folks are always looking for some miraculous sign, well they will get it when the things posted in this thread happen in order they were given."
Given that this is YOUR claim, it is YOUR burden.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #335

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tcg wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:49 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:40 pm

You made this claim:
"Folks are always looking for some miraculous sign, well they will get it when the things posted in this thread happen in order they were given."
Given that this is YOUR claim, it is YOUR burden.

Tcg
Nope. You can try to make it my burden yet things were written before you or I were alive. It is also not my burden because them coming true doesn't depend on me even being alive.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #336

Post by nobspeople »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:46 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Additionally, I wonder if all the varying opinions on the same topics by fellow believers, posted on this site, will come to pass.
Personally, if things happen as the poster thinks, this site would be the LAST place I'd come. Seems, to me, coming here wouldn't be productive and only allow for the elementary school "Nah nah nah na boo boo I told ya' so!" mentality.
The Bibles says how people will react in Matthew 13:36-42.
The bible also said Moses spoke with a talking and burning bush that wasn't consumed O:)
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #337

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:16 pm

The bible also said Moses spoke with a talking and burning bush that wasn't consumed

Yes it does. So?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #338

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm

The bible also said Moses spoke with a talking and burning bush that wasn't consumed

Yes it does. So?
So it speaks of many stupid and ridiculous claims. Which was the point I'm sure you didn't miss? :tunedout:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #339

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Yes it does. So?
So it speaks of many stupid and ridiculous claims.

What is "stupid and ridiculous" about these claims? I see nothing of either in them.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #340

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:48 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Yes it does. So?
So it speaks of many stupid and ridiculous claims.

What is "stupid and ridiculous" about these claims? I see nothing of either in them.

JW
A burning bush that talks but isn't consumed is stupidly fantastic - speaking only of magic.
Resurrection? Ridiculously magical.
A jealous god that kills almost all of life on earth....with water? Surely such a being wouldn't be this inept to use water, much less entertaining a human-like emotion as jealously.
JMO of course - I'm sure that opinion is insulting to those who 'believe the ridiculous'.
Feel free, of course, to report my opinion, but remember: I once was fooled in to this utter nonsense I'm ashamed to say so I know of what I speak.