Are agnostics more reasonable than atheists?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

AgnosticBoy wrote: I'll go ahead and say because of this the agnostic would be more reasonable than an atheist, in the same way atheists think they are more reasonable than Christians. The reason for this is not because of agnostics being all-knowing or arrogant, but rather it's because the PRINCIPLE that agnostics live by. Again, the principle of applying logic and evidence standard to ALL areas would mean that we use REASON more than the atheists that only applies it to matters of religion.
For debate:

RJG
Apprentice

Re: Are agnostics more reasonable than atheists?

Post #191

Post by RJG »

DavidLeon wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:37 pm
RJG wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:18 pm There is no evidence that any, 'supreme being', created the universe.
Evidence is the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid. It's subjective. The Bible is the only source of evidence regarding the alleged supreme being creating the universe. If you want to make the claim that said being didn't create the universe you have to demonstrate that to be false.
It is those who claim it to be true who need to provide the evidence of which there is none. The Bible is no sort of evidence whatsoever.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #192

Post by DavidLeon »

RJG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:45 amIt is those who claim it to be true who need to provide the evidence of which there is none. The Bible is no sort of evidence whatsoever.
If I told you that my ancestors in a specific time and place had slaves would that be evidence that they had slaves? If I showed you a wall with painting on it that told the story of my ancestors in this specific time and place were at a feast and were assisted home by their slaves would that be evidence to that effect? If there was a written recording of the same event I could show you from another place and people that corroborated the claim would that be evidence? If there were physical evidence of the event discovered from the time and place the event took place that were given in both the painting and the written record of said event would that be evidence to support it?

I need for you to tell me why the Bible isn't evidence that an extraterrestrial, highly intelligent sentient being created the universe.
I no longer post here

RJG
Apprentice

Post #193

Post by RJG »

DavidLeon wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:57 am
RJG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:45 amIt is those who claim it to be true who need to provide the evidence of which there is none. The Bible is no sort of evidence whatsoever.
If I told you that my ancestors in a specific time and place had slaves would that be evidence that they had slaves? If I showed you a wall with painting on it that told the story of my ancestors in this specific time and place were at a feast and were assisted home by their slaves would that be evidence to that effect? If there was a written recording of the same event I could show you from another place and people that corroborated the claim would that be evidence? If there were physical evidence of the event discovered from the time and place the event took place that were given in both the painting and the written record of said event would that be evidence to support it?

I need for you to tell me why the Bible isn't evidence that an extraterrestrial, highly intelligent sentient being created the universe.
I could well believe your ancestors had slaves as that is credible, most of the Bible isn't.

The god character in the Bible is a psycho and not that intelligent. It is much more likely the authors of documents making up that not so good book were trying to make out their version of an entity was more powerful than the gods of other religions.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #194

Post by DavidLeon »

RJG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 amI could well believe your ancestors had slaves as that is credible, most of the Bible isn't.
It is your contention that a book nearly 4,000 years old with far more extant manuscripts than any other, having been corroborated by secular history and archaeological discoveries, often far ahead of science and the most widely circulated, most influential book of all time, surviving tremendous opposition, often with it's readers being put to death for simply owning it to go on to be the single most inspiring work for the founding of Western civilization isn't credible?
RJG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 amThe god character in the Bible is a psycho and not that intelligent.
Subjective. Irrelevant.
RJG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 amIt is much more likely the authors of documents making up that not so good book were trying to make out their version of an entity was more powerful than the gods of other religions.
Interesting. Are you suggesting that the Bible should be evidence that the universe wasn't created by the alleged creator of said Bible?
I no longer post here

RJG
Apprentice

Post #195

Post by RJG »

I am of the opinion science will eventually discover the exact origins of the universe. When it does I am willing to bet it will have had absolutely nothing to do with the Biblical god, which is a fictional character, imo.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #196

Post by bluegreenearth »

DavidLeon wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:57 amIf I told you that my ancestors in a specific time and place had slaves would that be evidence that they had slaves? If I showed you a wall with painting on it that told the story of my ancestors in this specific time and place were at a feast and were assisted home by their slaves would that be evidence to that effect? If there was a written recording of the same event I could show you from another place and people that corroborated the claim would that be evidence? If there were physical evidence of the event discovered from the time and place the event took place that were given in both the painting and the written record of said event would that be evidence to support it?

The claim that your ancestors owned human slaves is reasonable to believe because it describes something that has an "implicit" empirical basis. There is empirical evidence for the existence of people and empirical evidence for the capability of someone to own other people as property. This empirical evidence does not directly prove that your ancestors owned slaves but at least demonstrates the possibility. The painting, written record, corroboration by external sources, and archaeological artifacts could potentially increase the claim's plausibility given the fact that its possibility has already been established by the implicit empirical evidence.

Alternatively, had you claimed that your ancestors were a race of magical wizards with the power to fly without the aid of technology, there would be no reasonable justification for anyone to believe such a story because it lacks an implicit empirical basis. There is no empirical evidence demonstrating the existence of magic or people with the ability to fly without the aid of technology. The existence of paintings, written records, corroboration by external sources, or archaeological artifacts from the geographic area where the historical claim originated would do nothing to increase the plausibility of the story because its possibility must first be demonstrated. This isn't to suggest the story is completely false but to acknowledge where there is no reasonable justification to affirm a positive belief in the extraordinary claim. In fact, the additional supporting evidence could potentially increase the plausibility of the claim's less extraordinary components that do have an implicit empirical basis. For instance, archaeological artifacts might lend support for the claim that the geographic area described in the story historically existed.

So, for the Bible to be considered evidence that an extraterrestrial and highly intelligent sentient being created the universe, someone must first demonstrate the claim has an "implicit" empirical basis. To my knowledge, this necessary objective has not yet been accomplished. Therefore, at best, the Bible may only be considered as evidence in support of less extraordinary claims that have an implicit empirical basis for us to know they are at least possible. For example, the Bible may reasonably be considered evidence for the historical claim that an apocalyptic Jewish preacher named Jesus was crucified in Jerusalem during the 1st century. However, we have no reasonable justification to believe the supernatural claims in the Biblical narratives because they have no implicit empirical basis for us to know such things are even possible. Now, if someone could demonstrate the existence of a supernatural creator god, that empirical evidence would provide the necessary implicit empirical basis from which we could know the extraordinary claims in the Bible are at least possible. As previously clarified, this isn't to suggest these extraordinary claims cannot be possible but to acknowledge where there is no reasonable justification to affirm a positive belief in them given the lack of an implicit empirical basis.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #197

Post by DavidLeon »

RJG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:30 am I am of the opinion science will eventually discover the exact origins of the universe. When it does I am willing to bet it will have had absolutely nothing to do with the Biblical god, which is a fictional character, imo.
Excellent, RJG. Not that it's any of my business but I respect everyone's opinion and belief or lack thereof. You have faith in science based upon your knowledge and experience. I too have some faith in science, though not total faith, and yet I can benefit from science to an extent. Likewise, you can benefit from Jehovah God's creation. However, should you reject the promises made by the creator and reject the benefit from those, that is also a decision you make based upon your knowledge and experience. That is to be respected as well.
I no longer post here

Icey
Student

Post #198

Post by Icey »

otseng wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:06 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: I'll go ahead and say because of this the agnostic would be more reasonable than an atheist, in the same way atheists think they are more reasonable than Christians. The reason for this is not because of agnostics being all-knowing or arrogant, but rather it's because the PRINCIPLE that agnostics live by. Again, the principle of applying logic and evidence standard to ALL areas would mean that we use REASON more than the atheists that only applies it to matters of religion.
For debate:
That's a large, over reaching claim for someone to make. None of us know every person that has or does exist so we can't say for sure. But it sure seems like YES, normally, agnostics are more reasonable than theists and atheists alike. At least a lot more honest (in the sense of religion at least).

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #199

Post by Zzyzx »

A thought:

An agnostic position (not an agnostic person) is a very reasonable position since there is no known way to verify the existence of supernatural entities. "I don't know" seems to fit quite well.

An atheistic position (not person) is also tenable provided that it means "Without belief in gods" (not denial of gods)

Denial of the existence of gods is the opposite extreme of the continuum from claims of existence of gods. Neither can be / have been shown to be true (or false). Both are speaking beyond knowledge and are properly labeled opinions or speculation.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #200

Post by Tcg »

How could, "I don't know" (agnostic position) be more reasonable than, "I don't believe" (atheist position)? This question is especially poignant given that some who claim they don't know, believe anyway. Is, "I don't know, but I believe" more reasonable than, "I neither know nor believe?"

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom