Are agnostics more reasonable than atheists?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

AgnosticBoy wrote: I'll go ahead and say because of this the agnostic would be more reasonable than an atheist, in the same way atheists think they are more reasonable than Christians. The reason for this is not because of agnostics being all-knowing or arrogant, but rather it's because the PRINCIPLE that agnostics live by. Again, the principle of applying logic and evidence standard to ALL areas would mean that we use REASON more than the atheists that only applies it to matters of religion.
For debate:

William
Savant

Re: Are agnostics more reasonable than atheists?

Post #301

Post by William »

As I read one atheists write on the subject of the difference between being agnostic and being atheist;
If you define atheism as not having a belief that there is a God, then agnosticism is a subset of atheism.
If you define atheism as having a belief that there is not a God, then agnosticism opposes that.
It is interesting how Atheists define things, and it should not be surprising to look for and to find evidence of conformation bias within those definitions.

Such definitions in themselves are, at worst, products of opinion rather than of science. As such, they most likely require honest examination and tweaking.

If you define atheism as not having a belief that there is a God, you already have problems, because the definition itself is untruthful, even that it appears at first glance to being true [and therefore, reasonable.]

The statement allows for Agnosticism to be 'owned' by atheism as a 'subset' and has lead many to declare that Agnosticism is 'weak Atheism'.

Another common declaration from atheists is that because they 'lack belief in god(s)', this means that all human beings are born atheists because all human babies also 'lack belief in gods'.

This declaration enables atheists to hijack the position of Agnosticism and force it into being a subset of Atheism, rather than being a position on its own, separated from the positions of Atheism and Theism alike.

This false news perpetrated by atheists has generally been accepted by an unsuspecting audience, even to the point where many Agnostics accept the position is indeed a sub-set of the atheist side...giving the position of Atheism and undeserved sheen in the 'top-spot' of default position of
every new born entity over the face of the planet. "We all start out as Atheists and wander from that by becoming Theists."

I call foul.

If you truthfully define Atheism as a position for folk who have developed a willful belief that there is no God, then Agnosticism is not only a position in its own right, but the default position of every new born entity over the face of the planet.

The battle is for that position, and the only ones who hold that position, are Agnostics who understand their position clearly, rather than through the filtered screens of atheist opinions and misinformation.

Having said as much, I am aware that the label "Agnosticism" may also be misinformation and the default position may require a more truthful heading.

This is due to the position of Gnosticism, from where Agnosticism got its name.

Point being, wherever this sleight of hand originated, it is high time it was pinned to the table and dissected for the sake of clarity and the truthfulness clarity provides us all with.

That would be the reasonable thing to do.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #302

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:57 pm As I read one atheists write on the subject of the difference between being agnostic and being atheist;
If you define atheism as not having a belief that there is a God, then agnosticism is a subset of atheism.
If you define atheism as having a belief that there is not a God, then agnosticism opposes that.
It is interesting how Atheists define things, and it should not be surprising to look for and to find evidence of conformation bias within those definitions.
Let anyone try to stop you looking for it :P .
Such definitions in themselves are, at worst, products of opinion rather than of science. As such, they most likely require honest examination and tweaking.
No. They are the product of logic, depending on the definitions, since agnosticism is (correctly) not knowing whether there is a god or not, any atheistic claim to know that a god does not exist would be logically untenable - which is the argument you make. So atheism would inevitably have to adopt a non belief position rather than a total denial, whether atheists want it or not. You are trying to force on atheism an illogical position that it cannot actually hold.
If you define atheism as not having a belief that there is a God, you already have problems, because the definition itself is untruthful, even that it appears at first glance to being true [and therefore, reasonable.]
I found your confirmation bias - right there. You note the 'non -belief' claim, you admit that it 'seems' reasonable but you say that atheists are lying about what they believe. They Say they only have non belief, because it is logical, but atheists Really (you can read their minds) hold a total denial position, because that enables you to say it's illogical. But as I say, if so, atheism is forced to the logical non -belief position, which is logically sound, even if every atheist were to hold positive denial -beliefs. Which I only ever saw one hold, and he was corrected right away.
The statement allows for Agnosticism to be 'owned' by atheism as a 'subset' and has lead many to declare that Agnosticism is 'weak Atheism'.
Not if you use agnosticism correctly. But I get that you mean that if atheism knew for sure there was no god, then 'not being sure - agnosticism' (as a belief -position) would arguably be 'owned' by atheism. Just as not being sure about evolution is 'owned' by atheism because we know the validity of the evidence for it and they apparently don't.
Another common declaration from atheists is that because they 'lack belief in god(s)', this means that all human beings are born atheists because all human babies also 'lack belief in gods'.

This declaration enables atheists to hijack the position of Agnosticism and force it into being a subset of Atheism, rather than being a position on its own, separated from the positions of Atheism and Theism alike.

:D I agree. They are. Of course they are not atheists - not unless they can think about it, but like anything that cannot think about the god -question (and thus cannot accept it) they are technically non -believers. This includes, babies, squirrels, rocks, socks and clocks.
This false news perpetrated by atheists has generally been accepted by an unsuspecting audience, even to the point where many Agnostics accept the position is indeed a sub-set of the atheist side...giving the position of Atheism and undeserved sheen in the 'top-spot' of default position of
every new born entity over the face of the planet. "We all start out as Atheists and wander from that by becoming Theists."

I call foul.
You are wrong. Your argument is false, untenable (fails automatically), biased, and does you and your religion no credit
If you truthfully define Atheism as a position for folk who have developed a willful belief that there is no God, then Agnosticism is not only a position in its own right, but the default position of every new born entity over the face of the planet.
Since we don't and it is, that is the bias confirmation that you spoke of, and the rest of your argument fails.
The battle is for that position, and the only ones who hold that position, are Agnostics who understand their position clearly, rather than through the filtered screens of atheist opinions and misinformation.
Since we are all agnostics (as nobody knows for sure - not even theists, who think they do) the battle is indeed one for who has the best case on evidence and logic. I can tell you now - atheism does.
Having said as much, I am aware that the label "Agnosticism" may also be misinformation and the default position may require a more truthful heading.

This is due to the position of Gnosticism, from where Agnosticism got its name.

Point being, wherever this sleight of hand originated, it is high time it was pinned to the table and dissected for the sake of clarity and the truthfulness clarity provides us all with.

That would be the reasonable thing to do.
Dissection done. The mistake (I won't call it sleight of hand) is the common mistake of confusing 'not knowing' (agnosticism) as the default position on knowledge, with the sliding scale of evidence and the interpretation of it that decides us whether we believe or not, which is what defines theists or atheists with little wiggle room between even though there is a whole sliding -scale on how sure we are about the evidence.

P.s looking at the diagram, it seems to make another slip - equating strong and weak atheism (which really means the degree of confidence about it) with apatheism (not believing and not caring much) with anti -theism, which is not the degree of atheism but whether to do something about it. They are not the same things, or so I would argue.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #303

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:29 pmRefusing to worship any God shown to you, is not an act of Atheism, once the God has been revealed to you.
It very much is, because I refuse to believe that it is God.

What makes a god different than me if I happened to be omnipotent? A god deserves worship by its nature and I don't, even if I'm very powerful. I refuse to believe there is any such being.

William
Savant

Post #304

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #302]
You are trying to force on atheism an illogical position that it cannot actually hold.
Can you show where I am trying to do that?
Just as not being sure about evolution is 'owned' by atheism because we know the validity of the evidence for it and they apparently don't.
Agnostics know the evidence for and against. They also know that either way does not answer The Question. [Do we exist within a creation?]
Of course they are not atheists - not unless they can think about it, but like anything that cannot think about the god -question...
Of course they can think about it. They just know by that, that there is not enough information to establish either way, so do not shift from the default position either way.
You are wrong. Your argument is false, untenable (fails automatically), biased, and does you and your religion no credit
Straw. I have no religion. Try again, taking into account what I actually say here.

(once I find straw in a reply, I read/reply no further, as there is no point in doing so until the problem is properly corrected.)

William
Savant

Post #305

Post by William »

Refusing to worship any God shown to you, is not an act of Atheism, once the God has been revealed to you.
[Replying to Purple Knight in post #303]
It very much is, because I refuse to believe that it is God.
Then you have not been shown a God and your response become meaningless.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #306

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:42 pmThen you have not been shown a God and your response become meaningless.
Maybe I have been shown a god and I simply refuse to believe that it is a god.

The universe might be structured in such a way that some powerful being at the very top - a god, maybe more than one of them - somehow has say over what morality is and when people do good and when they do evil. And if the universe is structured this way I'm a stubborn idiot and 100% unreasonable because even if it is shown to me that the universe works this way, that being can say kill this fellow and it is good and well knowing I am wrong I will say to him, no I won't and no it does not.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #307

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:40 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #302]
You are trying to force on atheism an illogical position that it cannot actually hold.
Can you show where I am trying to do that?
I already did. I showed that the actual position of atheism is agnostic non belief, but you insist that gnostic -type denial is actually the atheist position. What is that if not forcing on atheism a position it does not actually hold?
Just as not being sure about evolution is 'owned' by atheism because we know the validity of the evidence for it and they apparently don't.
Agnostics know the evidence for and against. They also know that either way does not answer The Question. [Do we exist within a creation?]
Aside from whether they actually do know the evidence (who can really say they know it all?) given that nothing answers the question, 'we don't know' logically mandates 'we don't believe until we do know'. That is all that atheism is.
Of course they are not atheists - not unless they can think about it, but like anything that cannot think about the god -question...
Of course they can think about it. They just know by that, that there is not enough information to establish either way, so do not shift from the default position either way.
Of course they can't. We are talking about babies, remember. And by implication animals and inanimate objects. That was the whole point you made - whether things that couldn't think about the god -question were by default, atheist.
Straw. I have no religion. Try again, taking into account what I actually say here.

(once I find straw in a reply, I read/reply no further, as there is no point in doing so until the problem is properly corrected.)
Ok, I accept your correction. Just as you should accept my correction of your strawman of atheism.

brunumb
Savant

Post #308

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #307]

:? :? :? :? :?
What's from William and what's from TRANSPONDER?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #309

Post by TRANSPONDER »

brunumb wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:14 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #307]

You're right. I hadn't noted what's from him and what's from me. I do find the quote mechanism a bit of a puzzle. I'll try to sort that in future posts.

Tcg
Savant

Post #310

Post by Tcg »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:53 am
brunumb wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:14 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #307]

You're right. I hadn't noted what's from him and what's from me. I do find the quote mechanism a bit of a puzzle. I'll try to sort that in future posts.
This tutorial may be of help.

viewtopic.php?p=5747#p5747

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom