Psychopaths

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Psychopaths

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

If there's a God that determines right and wrong, why the flaming shipwreck did he give some people their own Jiminy Cricket and not others?

Sometimes I just want a magic bug that gives me the right answer. When it seems like nobody else has to think about it, and they certainly don't have to explain it to me, sometimes I don't want to have to think about it either.

Is there a good reason some people missed out?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Psychopaths

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Purple Knight wrote: If there's a God that determines right and wrong, why the flaming shipwreck did he give some people their own Jiminy Cricket and not others?
Simple answer?

There is no God anymore than there is a Santa Claus.

Why didn't Santa bring me something last year? According to the legend even if I was naughty he should have brought me a bag of coal. :D

Sometimes we just need to recognize nursery rhymes for what they are. Even when they are being sold as "Holy Books".

Keep in mind also that clearly all "Holy Books" cannot be true. Therefore some of them are necessarily nothing more than nursery rhymes. And it's a good bet that they are all nothing more than nursery rhymes.

The reason we don't all have the same Jiminy Cricket is because we are all just accidents of natural processes. Some of us just lucked out more than others. That's all.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Thomas123
Sage

Post #3

Post by Thomas123 »

Psycho Paths

With the advent of the May Madness season the topics on this sub forum are beginning to show a nuance twist. On the Incarnation thread esteemed minds hover over the concept of fanaticism within belief paths. I wish you well with this thread.

I have always been naturally impressionable and become easily inspired by the actions of others. The human possesses truly amazing abilities that appear to be rarely harnessed fully. This is an inspirational fact in itself in that the potential to harness good appears enormous.

Unfortunately, this knife cuts both ways and extreme psychopaths are evil beyond imagination. Their influence is over represented in today's entertainment industry ,for a reason, that is tragic. People have always gravitated towards terror. This is a primate troop legacy that we appear unable to shake off. Sad really! We oscillate in extremes.

I focus on the determination and the humans ability to confront their demons head on in an inspirational struggle for us all. These two examples inspire me greatly...

Watch The Dawn Wall , (climbing film)
Watch

I think reality inspiration is therapeutic but others might have alternative outlooks.

SallyF
Guru

Post #4

Post by SallyF »

Christians often LOVE stories that involve talking animals.

I remembered this one from long ago.

It involves fleas rather than crickets.

But it extends the Bible Class notion of logic in faith.

(Talking animals are really good for that.)

And it requires that we IMAGINE things ...

A tale of two fleas
by Carl Wieland

Imagine a colony of fleas living inside a motor car, the only home they have ever known. Two of them—let’s call them C and E—begin to scientifically investigate this world of theirs. By studying the processes going on in the car, they discover all the basic laws of chemistry and physics—motion, gravity, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and so on.

Everything they have learned can be proved by repeatable experiments, so they eventually agree on every conclusion. Finally a young flea asks them a fateful question: ‘How did this car come about in the first place?’

C: ‘That’s obvious—it has been built at some time in the past by an intelligent designer.’
E: ‘Whaaat? I never heard you talk like that before. Oh, I know, you’re one of those religious cranks who believes in that book in the glove compartment, the manual, supposedly written by this designer. Don’t you know that our best Fleabrew scholars now agree that it is a bunch of myths written by pre-scientific nomadic desert fleas?’
C: ‘How do you account for the car, then, without a maker?’
E: ‘Please don’t get me wrong—you can believe in a maker if you wish, but you have to realize we can’t teach that to young fleas in science classes. Obviously, the scientific processes and laws which we have been studying are and have been slowly and gradually building this car up from simpler substances.’

https://creation.com/a-tale-of-two-fleas

… and so on ….
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

Thomas123 wrote:Unfortunately, this knife cuts both ways and extreme psychopaths are evil beyond imagination. Their influence is over represented in today's entertainment industry ,for a reason, that is tragic. People have always gravitated towards terror.
I test as a psychopath (though I'm one of the anomalies that has good impulse control) and I find myself to be very creative, and I do find that a lot of it draws from a beautifully dark wellspring other men fear to gaze into.

It seems to come with a wellspring of intelligence too. The way I must analyze is different than the intuition I fear you all rely on for 99% of your judgments.

I'm basically at the point of wanting to trade it all for the magic bug, however.

But I want to ask you if you think a particular thing follows.

If God is real and benevolent, then either there are no psychopaths (we're all just faking it for whatever reason) or for every moral God wants us to follow, a way to derive that law from pure Reason must exist, since people without the magic bug exist.

Does this follow?

Thomas123
Sage

Post #6

Post by Thomas123 »

Purple Knight:If God is real and benevolent, then either there are no psychopaths (we're all just faking it for whatever reason) or for every moral God wants us to follow, a way to derive that law from pure Reason must exist, since people without the magic bug exist.

Does this follow?

Thomas123: I must apologise in advance Purple Knight, as I have been involved in a Star Wars family Lockdown fest and my thinking is full of the dark side and consequently I hope that my reply to your enquiry does not contain too much force.

Seriously, I have never considered God to be benevolent in any real human way that is expressly manifest.When we use a metaphorical Father or King image for God we accept that there are fundamentals in the metaphor that are apt aids to our appreciation and use of God.

On a simple level people state that a father should be benevolent to his child because he has created them. In actuality the Father is the child, and they are indivisible from each other. The sequence continues back and forward in time.
A benevolent king dispels the old Egyptian,Emperor, Blueblood notion of their being a dichotomy of nature between us and God. All the Tyrants of Communism have attempted to not topple over the edge of not being simply human. A benevolent king is our very nature, and hence the metaphor used in that way. In the old Testament many Yahweh worshipers use the tyrannical fear of kingship dependence to accentuate the more unpleasant, but no less real dynamics of human reality. This is again metaphorical and essentially a depiction of aspects of Gods presence.

Yahweh belief states this fact, that we are part of God. We are comfortable and adapted to this locale and we have everything we need to thrive here. Hence benevolence. Nothing subjectively human about God.

God from pure reason?

The prophet of Yahweh, the Jesus figure suggests that this is a near impossibility.
There is a narrow door, there is a camel to be threaded through the eye of a needle,( which is an optic possibility), there is an infantile wonder to be rekindled, there is a washing to be done, etc.
This prophet takes no delight in sticking up no entry signs. There are fire doors in all shopping centres that are one way, for obvious reasons. Look for the most convenient entrance to you. A portal towards benevolence.
There is scripture given to the Samaritan woman that suggests the form that effective Yahweh appreciation might manifest itself in once discovered.

The prophet concludes that nothing is impossible in God and that trial and error are normal consequences of enquiry. Personal honesty is the key, that will be your salt.

Ask me as many questions as you desire. I may well be a Jedi believer after all.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Psychopaths

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Purple Knight]

PSYCHOPATHY is essentially a disorder, a mental illness. Like any other mental diseases (anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, obsessive-Compulsive disorder etc), it is a malfunction of the mind.
Sickness disease or mental disorders were never part of Gods original purpose and people that presently have such conditions should not conclude that they were overlooked by God in some way. God is allowing all kinds of distressing condtions for the same reason he has allowed human suffering but people can take comfort that soon he will intervene and relieve mankind of all the conditions that cause distress.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

FURTHER READING What You Should Know About Mental Disorders?
https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201412/

To learn more go to other posts related to

SICKNESS , HUMAN SUFFERING , and ...THE MIRACLES OF JESUS CHRIST
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun May 03, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Thomas123
Sage

Post #8

Post by Thomas123 »

Psycho Paths

I hope this does not come across as an arrogant simplification of your thread's remit here ,Purple Knight, but , consider this...

A hunter uses a gun.
A theist uses a bow and arrow!
A wise person is a vegetarian.

This is a feasible psycho path or life option.
It is probably the default position.
Vegetarians thrive and enjoy many lifestyle benefits from their eating choices.

This simple adoption, at no real cost or anguish would probably achieve more to our moral development than all religion has to date. We have lost an objective boundary for meat eating and we have abandoned the vegetarian thing's salvation.

Why not even do that?

Metaphor is used as a light to hide behind ,unfortunately!

A real religion would be vegetarianism.
It is what we were designed to do!
I can't remember Jesus passing around a bowl of chicken wings, maybe he did.
His symbolism has always been the vegetarian option , bread and wine,!
Maybe that is why his deification is set up in Italy!

Thomas123
Sage

Post #9

Post by Thomas123 »

https://www.si.com/.amp/edge/2019/01/09 ... ng-routine

Caldwell is now “trending very close to vegetarian,� an environmental choice that he says has also helped him maintain the delicate strength-to-weight ratio that climbers crave.

Did you explore either of the two inspirational references that I offered.

Jesus was probably a disciplined eater, although that was probably from necessity, you can be reasonably certain that he ate fish. Tommy Caldwell, the climber is a disciplined eater. The monk in the video lived on alms, rice and water. Fasting and self discipline are psycho paths that allow entry through these narrow portals to God.

By our observation of Gods created world, there appears to be little excess or waste parralels,in this created world that reflect our indifferences to obesity and appetite fundamentals.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #10

Post by Thomas123 »

Consider alcohol consumption!

The negative statistics attached to this drug are horrendous.
The Muslim faith appears to have taken a deal-breaking, doctrinal stance on this.
With new Alcohol free beverages there are few rational excuses left for our use of this 'sedative'. Beer was once considered by working miners and navvies to be a safer form of hydration than water.
Would it be rational to at least consider the doctrine relating to this Muslim position with a view to checking it's potential for applied usefulness elsewhere.

I do not want to be a Muslim but this rational stance begs further enquiry.

Is it about oppression or is it about guidance?
Where are its origins?
Are their motivations pure?

Nothing else in the natural objective realm, intentionally hallucinates itself.