Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

“We have the facts�

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

“We have the facts�

In a current thread someone said:
But again, here is the fact of the matter. We have facts, and evidence surrounding the claims in the NT.
Correction: You have unverified TALES in a book and try to use the tales as 'facts' to support themselves or each other – OR claim that the tales must be true because many believe.

In reasoned discussion or debate one does NOT even attempt to use a source to verify itself. It makes no sense to say, 'The book is true because it says it is (or because I believe it is)' or 'Chapter one is true because chapter two tells a similar story'. It is also irrational to say, 'Many believed so it must be true' (Argumentum ad populum)

Test:
1) List Bible verses that deal with the 'resurrection'. Those are the tales to be supported.
2) List supporting facts and evidence supporting each (Not just repeating the tales or saying that many believed)

Example: Mark 16:6 Don’t be alarmed,� he [young man dressed in white robe] said “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him.

What FACTS support “He has risen� (without using tales from the NT to support tales from the NT)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Savant

Re: “We have the facts�

Post #41

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: …How could I know if the tale is true? I'm certainly willing to consider the notion -- but no one seems to have anything but a story about an empty tomb and an assumption that means the corpus came back to life and left….
Luckily it is not necessary to know that. In Biblical point of view important ting is to become righteous and that can happen without knowing surely that Jesus did what is told in the Bible.
Zzyzx wrote:…Heck no. I am not against Jewish preachers. If one of them ACTUALLY died and came back to life, I would accept them as something very special…
But is that useful? That very large group after about 2000 years calls themselves Christian (= disciples of Jesus) makes Jesus quite special. Most people are not even remembered after 2000 years. However, I don’t think it is necessary to think Jesus is special. More important and useful would be to become righteous, have the right understanding than right belief.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46