What would you do if you were YHWH?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What would you do if you were YHWH?

Post #1

Post by William »

If you were YHWH, would you consider now to be a good time to give Jesus the nod to return to Earth?

If yes, why - and if no - why not?

William
Savant

Re: What would you do if you were YHWH?

Post #21

Post by William »

[Replying to post 20 by brunumb]
I picked that tiny bit from your post because to me it highlights exactly how pathetic is this God, Yahweh.
I find this interesting. I explained how, in my reply to Post#10 in this thread.
From elsewhere in your post, I don't think it is necessary to start from scratch creating a new universe to do something about the mess on this tiny, insignificant planet. Let's face it, God-magic is powerful stuff. If you can use it to make an entire fine-tuned universe, it should be a snap to patch up a planet that seems to have produced some faulty life forms.
I hear ya. I am just not hearing your solution to the problem, as per the OPQ.

Are you able to show us the nuts and bolts of the snap-process you mention would 'patch up the planet'?

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Speaking as God again here: I must be getting old and tired, forgot a few things (don't pine for immortality, it sucks).

1) Stop all the worship garbage. I don't want it and you who pretend to know about me don't know Jack _______. You have no more clue than did the writers of your revered literature that purports to know me.

2) There is no afterlife so live your present life well.

3) I have adjusted your sex drive so you will stop spending your lives chasing each other for sex. Reproduce one-for-one and find something else to entertain yourselves

4) I have also boosted human intelligence and judgment several notches to encourage better decisions. See if you can improve your track record.

Can you point to any evidence of these things presently happening?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote: Can you point to any evidence of these things presently happening?
Of course there is no evidence. This is talking about GOD.

Those who talk about or for GOD are not required to deal with evidence -- but to continue telling each other imaginative stories.

Just take my word for it and earn a ticket to heaven. Don't dare question GOD or you will go to hell.

Those who deal with evidence are <shudder> scientists and realists who all participate in a grand conspiracy against GOD. They keep insisting that things be <ugh> real and that they actually work as told. What a limiting attitude.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

[Replying to post 18 by Divine Insight]

The way I interpret life on Earth is different from your own divine insight. This in itself does not signify that I am incorrect, so I bear that in mind while reading your replies to my own.

I have no problem with the idea that the planet suckles upon Herself nor do I comprehend that as disgusting or evil, or that anyone who created such a beast must truly be evil.

As Zzyzx kindly noted;

"1) Stop all the worship garbage. I don't want it and you who pretend to know about me don't know Jack _______. You have no more clue than did the writers of your revered literature that purports to know me."
I would add to that, "Stop thinking I am evil - you don't know Jack _______ about that either."

But wait...apparently we are informed that we do know about that, as we inherited the genetic tendencies to want to know about such things...but there is a difference between wanting to know and actually knowing...

So we who chose to do so, struggle to make sense of our predicament/place in the universe knowing that we don't know - but we do know it is an ongoing event.

This is why I choose to investigate the Theist branch of Humanity...because it goes somewhere, which mirrors nature perfectly, since nature too, is going somewhere.

The non-theist approach doesn't go anywhere in light of Theism. It simply has a variety of responses to inflict upon Theism. Among those is the response that if there is a Creator, then the Creator MUST be evil, and therefore the creation must be evil...

What do such non-theists really know about evil? :-k

The Theist argues that regardless of the apparent different positions, there is a shared reality in relation to knowledge of good and evil as those who have the knowledge use it to categories things with.

This is in effect 'getting to know the differences'.

We can look at nature as a neutral force in this equation, even if it was created.

Therefore it behooves us Theists to also look at the Creator as a neutral component resisting the urge to verbally defecate upon whatever image that conjures up for the individual - Theists generally have a handle on it...they see 'God' as a good, even while struggling along with the rest of Humanity throughout the ages in getting to know 'good and evil' - it is a thing still being learned.

We all of us best not think we are all the way there yet, whatever position we assume.

Sin of itself is a good thing in terms of learning empathy and 'the grey areas' - we start from scratch and work our way through, and being sinners is part of the process which enables us to cope with the situation we are within and experiencing.

Without a God, acceptance of natures meaner ways becomes an indifference to natures overall positive ways...good down to earth ways.

Without forgiveness of sin, we would not be able to survive the ordeal, because we are naturally not sinful - it is simply a costume we have to wear while experiencing this particular outpost.

So sin acts as a kind of vaccine...or serum...to push through into the greater understanding...as - again - Zzyzx kindly noted;

4) I have also boosted human intelligence and judgment several notches to encourage better decisions. See if you can improve your track record.
A recent post I made (here) underlines my commitment to the Theist initiative.

YHWH is not stuck in the past. We best not be either...it's only the most natural thing we can hope to do.

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

William wrote: Can you point to any evidence of these things presently happening?
Of course there is no evidence. This is talking about GOD.

Those who talk about or for GOD are not required to deal with evidence -- but to continue telling each other imaginative stories.

Just take my word for it and earn a ticket to heaven. Don't dare question GOD or you will go to hell.

Those who deal with evidence are <shudder> scientists and realists who all participate in a grand conspiracy against GOD. They keep insisting that things be <ugh> real and that they actually work as told. What a limiting attitude.

So you have no evidence. Theists see the reality you speak of as self evidently in a bit of a pickle, and I dare say they do have a point.

But the OPQ give opportunity for investigating what the critics would do differently, and that they are claiming they are doing it, even as we speak.

I am of the Theistic opinion that the Creator has not been absent in those processes but rather, has been the significant reason for those processes.

It is best not to get ahead of ourselves...see my previous post for more on that.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote: I would add to that, "Stop thinking I am evil - you don't know Jack _______ about that either."
That admonition is wasted on me since I do not think any of the 'gods' are evil. They may be portrayed as evil characters (or heroes) in promotional tales of literature, folklore, and sermons; however, those descriptions are products of human imagination.

Is the Big Bad Wolf evil? Heck no, it is just a figment of imagination -- a character in a story -- imaginary. There is no need to get worked up emotionally one way or another about fictional characters.

Many claim to know the attributes of one or more of the thousands of 'gods'. I do not pretend such knowledge.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote: So you have no evidence.
Well, I do have evidence but you won't believe it.

See that tree, that is evidence. God made it. See those stars, God made them too.

How do I know? I have a book that says so -- and my preacher says so. If you want to be SAVED, just BELIEVE (and feel sinful). Don't be a <shudder> skeptic and roast in hell for eternity (where you won't see Grandma again).
Non-Theist

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #28

Post by Divine Insight »

William wrote: [Replying to post 18 by Divine Insight]

The way I interpret life on Earth is different from your own divine insight. This in itself does not signify that I am incorrect, so I bear that in mind while reading your replies to my own.

I have no problem with the idea that the planet suckles upon Herself nor do I comprehend that as disgusting or evil, or that anyone who created such a beast must truly be evil.

I believe that I had already addressed this.

I have no reason to care about your own imaginary YHWH. All you've done here is take a term that had previously been defined by Hebrew mythology and redefine it to suit your own imaginary God.

Not only do I have no reason to care about your imaginary God, but I wouldn't even have a clue how you might be defining it.

You posted this in Christianity and Apologetics. As far as I'm concerned your own personally defined YHWH has nothing to do with Christian theology. So it's hardly going to serve as an apology for Christian theology.

And this is true even if the God you invented actually has no flaws. It would still be a different God from what had been described in Hebrew mythology (i.e. the Bible).

This is actually a problem for many wannabe Christian Apologists. I've heard people trying to defend the God of the Bible by claiming that he can do whatever he wants and we are in no position to say otherwise. But this is actually incompatible with Biblical theology. According to Biblical theology (and especially Christian theology) God is supposed to be righteous, trustworthy and just.

So the idea that the Christian God can just do whatever he wants isn't compatible with the original theology. Zeus could do anything he wants because there's nothing in Greek theology that claims that Zeus is righteous, trustworthy or just. Zeus can strike you dead just because he feels like it and for no other reason.

The Christian God cannot do this. A God who strikes people dead just because he feels like it is not a righteous and just God, and certainly not a God that anyone can trust.

The same applies with your imaginary non-Biblical YHWH. If he has no problem with creating animals that eat each other just because he felt like doing that, then he can't be said to be a righteous, just, or trustworthy God.

So yes William. I agree with you. The God of your imagination can be anything you so desire. But why should I care about the God of your imagination? :-k
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

William
Savant

Post #29

Post by William »

William wrote: So you have no evidence.
Well, I do have evidence but you won't believe it.

See that tree, that is evidence. God made it. See those stars, God made them too.

How do I know? I have a book that says so -- and my preacher says so. If you want to be SAVED, just BELIEVE (and feel sinful). Don't be a <shudder> skeptic and roast in hell for eternity (where you won't see Grandma again).

I appreciate your position in regard to the OP topic and question. The thing I don't appreciate is why you felt it necessary to use it as an opportunity to proselytize.

That you do not believe there is a creator, has nothing to do with the topic.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #30

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote: ... I do not think any of the 'gods' are evil. They may be portrayed as evil characters (or heroes) in promotional tales of literature, folklore, and sermons; however, those descriptions are products of human imagination.

Is the Big Bad Wolf evil? Heck no, it is just a figment of imagination -- a character in a story -- imaginary. There is no need to get worked up emotionally one way or another about fictional characters.

So what do you think about JEHOVAH the God of the bible? I take it you have no thoughts on YHWH /Jehovah but I dont want to second guess on that.

Zzyzx wrote:... I do not think any of the 'gods' are evil.
You dont think Jehovah is evil?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8