What would you do if you were YHWH?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What would you do if you were YHWH?

Post #1

Post by William »

If you were YHWH, would you consider now to be a good time to give Jesus the nod to return to Earth?

If yes, why - and if no - why not?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: What would you do if you were YHWH?

Post #31

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: So what do you think about JEHOVAH the God of the bible? I take it you have no thoughts on YHWH /Jehovah but I dont want to second guess on that.
I consider the Bible God to be equal to the other thousands of gods – equally unsupported by verifiable evidence. Bible tales attribute many deeds to 'God' that I consider evil – but I regard the tales as figments of imagination.
JehovahsWitness wrote: ...
Zzyzx wrote: I do not think any of the 'gods' are evil.
You dont think Jehovah is evil?
I consider Jehovah as no more evil than the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood – just characters in a story.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

William
Savant

Post #32

Post by William »

[Replying to post 31 by Zzyzx]
I consider the Bible God to be equal to the other thousands of gods – equally unsupported by verifiable evidence. Bible tales attribute many deeds to 'God' that I consider evil – but I regard the tales as figments of imagination.
Of cOurse.

One is wise to also consider that one's consideration of what is 'good' and what is 'evil' may also be "tales" - "simply figments of one's imagination" :-k
I consider Jehovah as no more evil than the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood – just characters in a story.
I consider Jehovah in the story to be based upon an actual Entity. Which of us are wasting our imagination on wrongful imagery?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: I consider the Bible God to be equal to the other thousands of gods – equally unsupported by verifiable evidence. Bible tales attribute many deeds to 'God' that I consider evil – but I regard the tales as figments of imagination.
One is wise to also consider that one's consideration of what is 'good' and what is 'evil' may also be "tales" - "simply figments of one's imagination"
How cute -- 20,000 comedians unemployed and another joins the ranks
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: I consider Jehovah as no more evil than the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood – just characters in a story.
I consider Jehovah in the story to be based upon an actual Entity. Which of us are wasting our imagination on wrongful imagery?
No waste on my part. I'm not emotionally invested in fantasy.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

William
Savant

Post #34

Post by William »

[Replying to post 28 by Divine Insight]
The God of your imagination can be anything you so desire. But why should I care about the God of your imagination?
How should I know why you should care? The OP Topic and Question was for those who are interested in such an event and what they would do if they were in YHWHs position.

Also, your comments regarding what constitutes an actual Christian and actual Christianity, are off-topic.

:-K

Not to say that it might not have some merit. It is a topic for another thread. I might even create one to explore the idea in more detail...

William
Savant

Post #35

Post by William »

Zzyzx wrote: .
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: I consider the Bible God to be equal to the other thousands of gods – equally unsupported by verifiable evidence. Bible tales attribute many deeds to 'God' that I consider evil – but I regard the tales as figments of imagination.
One is wise to also consider that one's consideration of what is 'good' and what is 'evil' may also be "tales" - "simply figments of one's imagination"
How cute -- 20,000 comedians unemployed and another joins the ranks
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: I consider Jehovah as no more evil than the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood – just characters in a story.
No waste on my part.
Are you imagining it that way, or do you have evidence?

Now and again I have moments of doubt, but the evidence points to something one has to consider.

I'm not emotionally invested in fantasy.
I am not emotionally invested in reaching a premature verdict. Great we can share. :)

William
Savant

Post #36

Post by William »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: ... I do not think any of the 'gods' are evil. They may be portrayed as evil characters (or heroes) in promotional tales of literature, folklore, and sermons; however, those descriptions are products of human imagination.

Is the Big Bad Wolf evil? Heck no, it is just a figment of imagination -- a character in a story -- imaginary. There is no need to get worked up emotionally one way or another about fictional characters.

So what do you think about JEHOVAH the God of the bible? I take it you have no thoughts on YHWH /Jehovah but I dont want to second guess on that.

Zzyzx wrote:... I do not think any of the 'gods' are evil.
You dont think Jehovah is evil?

JW

Hard to follow what it is Zzyzx is arguing for or against here. Some of the gods certainly are regarded 'evil', even in their day.

Every good story has the antagonist. The Wolf was written into the story as the 'evil' character. On the face of the evidence as presented by Little Red Riding The Hood - word of mouth as it was - we can agree whom the 'bad guy' is.

On the other hand, *additional evidence* has come forth which explains both Red's story and the Wolfs story, where The Wolf isn't actually guilty of any fowl-play and is, in actually fact, not even The Big Bad Wolf.

[another story entirely, involving 3 dubious pigs.]
[yt][/yt]

Perspectives, huh?

:study:
  • One person's perspective:

"I consider Jehovah as no more evil than the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood – just characters in a story."
Being an antagonist in relation to YHWH, places one at the very seat of Satan, as far as that story goes...

...which of those two is The Big Bad Wolf?

We are forced by the subtle background noise of our emotions, to invest in finding out.

:-k

For that is the driving force behind both the antagonist and the protagonist....tempered this way or that...as the story unfolds...

*Additional Evidence* re The Riding Hood Wolfy
[yt][/yt]

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote: Hard to follow what it is Zzyzx is arguing for or against here.
I'll try to simplify for those who have difficulty: I do not regard imaginary / fantasy characters as 'evil' or 'good', though they may be depicted as such in tales, folklore, fiction, and religious stories.
William wrote: Some of the gods certainly are regarded 'evil', even in their day.
Was the subject of discussion how gods of folklore WERE regarded at some time in the past?
Non-Theist

William
Savant

Post #38

Post by William »

[Replying to post 37 by Zzyzx]
I'll try to simplify for those who have difficulty: I do not regard imaginary / fantasy characters as 'evil' or 'good', though they may be depicted as such in tales, folklore, fiction, and religious stories.
So what? Why regard them at all? Did the thread subject ask you to regard them as real or imaginary? No it did not. How you regard characters in stories is not the question being asked. How difficult is that to understand?
Was the subject of discussion how gods of folklore WERE regarded at some time in the past?
No. It came about due to a non-theist expressing his animosity for the character of YHWH. I cannot help it if folk crash threads just to advertise their opinions about that.

The subject of the thread is "What would you do if you were YHWH?" not "Do you believe YHWH is a real entity or a fictional character?" or "Do you think YHWH was 'good' or 'evil'?"

One best not complain about threads changing direction when one is participating in that oneself. :-k

Tcg
Savant

Post #39

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: If you were YHWH, would you consider now to be a good time to give Jesus the nod to return to Earth?

If yes, why - and if no - why not?
Have you read Revelation? If I were YHWH and I cared about humans, the best I could do would be to deny my son the ability to ever visit earth. Of course I'd also have to banish myself as well.

This answer is of course based on the far fetched idea that YHWH exists and that any of the concepts concerning Jesus' return have any basis in reality.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

pleinmont
Student

Post #40

Post by pleinmont »

Once Jesus died he stayed dead like any other human.