Will Jesus be Prime Minister?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Will Jesus be Prime Minister?

Post #1

Post by marco »

I have just read this somewhere, a prediction about our future planetary history:

God's Kingdom is a government ( a rulership with a domain or territory to rule over) that is comprised of144,000 individuals headed by Jesus, who will rule over the territory of the entire planet earth.

Had I been told this as a boy I would have welcomed atheism. Unfortunately I was given piety sandwiches and holy drinks, with poems about the meek being blessed. Not only did the Light Brigade of Tennyson's poem enter the valley of death, I was invited there to fear none ill. It was nice stuff with no intrusive politics.

What makes the above passage so obviously hostile to reason? Why would we discard it as soon as we had read planet earth?

My question is: If people can be driven to accepting this as truth is our education system useless?
If this is the turn taken by Christianity, has it finally lost all rationality?

William
Savant

Post #11

Post by William »

Isn't a Prime Minister voted in? :-k

According to the overall story, the impression I get is that the world is taken over by force and the character Jesus sits in the position of benefactor-dictator...

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Zzyzx »

Sounds like a dictator

Matthew 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

It seems as though Bible writers really disliked goats. Could that be because goats are not as docile and easily led (or duped) than sheep?

With all the 'angels' running (or flying) around, might they breed with human females and produce a race of terrible giants?

Genesis 6 When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.�4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. 5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

Oh woe is us -- right?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

SallyF
Guru

Post #13

Post by SallyF »

This is how a future Right Honourable Jesus H Christ would govern as Prime Minister …

(Presumably under the seal of his dad, King Yahweh, with the Holy Ghost acting as Lord Chamberlain and with the wise counsel of 144,000 specially-privileged members of the Jehovah's Witnesses sect.)

Which is just a whole BUNCH worse than any of these dictators …

I tossed the notion that the possibly fictional Jesus character was my Lord and Saviour who had died for my sins into the do-not-recycle bin decades ago …

And I sincerely hope he never becomes Prime Minister of the Genesis One Dome of Heaven where we now live.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

marco
Savant

Post #14

Post by marco »

Overcomer wrote:
I'm guessing that is from a Jehovah's Witness tract. As such, it is NOT a "turn taken by Christianity". The tip-off is the "144,000 individuals headed by Jesus". JWs mistakenly think the number refers to those who rule with Jesus. However, that is a misinterpretation. The number comes from Rev. 7:4:

And I heard the number of the sealed, 144,000, sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel

The passage states clearly that they represent the 12 tribes of Israel -- 12,000 from each. That is how it has been understood historically by Christians and how Christians still understand it today.
We gaze on any form of Christianity and we gaze on what has been interpreted from the Evangelists. It matters little that David's interpretation differs from Daniel's, nor what ceremonies each adopts. I suppose the old lady with her rosaries is happy in her brand of holiness so why remove them? I find beliefs derived from Revelation rather sad; people could occupy themselves with the actual wonders of the knowledge humanity has worked for over the centuries since Jesus died.

That folk think Christ will change personality altogether and be some Prime Minister, a new Jesus and a new format, is surely a sign of man's dreadful imperfections. Jesus is a bit more than Gladstone and a bit less than Churchill.

marco
Savant

Re: Will Jesus be Prime Minister?

Post #15

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

Well if that's what you believe, then you are not saying the scripture cannot be pointing to 1914 - so we have not issue. Unless you wish me to discuss your feelings on the above (which you have already generously shared) , I'm not sure what else I can add.
You need add nothing; that you confess the statement in the OP is what you endorse speaks more than a million words. I hope that somewhere some small discerning part does question the association of the inglorious year, 1914, with some biblical detail.

If Jesus landed then he came, as TS Eliot wrote, not with a bang but a whimper. Man made the bang and Jesus came incognito. Sad.

marco
Savant

Post #16

Post by marco »

William wrote: Isn't a Prime Minister voted in? :-k

According to the overall story, the impression I get is that the world is taken over by force and the character Jesus sits in the position of benefactor-dictator...

I wonder what part the legions of angels play in the future legislature. There is nothing in the Nazarene's reported character that suggests he's ready to be a dictator. But perhaps he has been spending that last two millennia gaining the qualification. Isn't it strange we even give words to such thoughts.

marco
Savant

Post #17

Post by marco »

Zzyzx wrote:

The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

Oh woe is us -- right?
And simultaneously people sing: The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. Who would have thought the shepherd suffered from schizophrenia? I suppose if one accepts nonsensical tales of beings from above courting young ladies below it's a short step to make Christ Prime Minister.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Well if that's what you believe, then you are not saying the scripture cannot be pointing to 1914 - so we have not issue. Unless you wish me to discuss your feelings on the above (which you have already generously shared) , I'm not sure what else I can add.
You need add nothing; that you confess the statement in the OP is what you endorse speaks more than a million words.

I sincerely hope so, at least for the only person that really counts on matters of faith in my opinion.

I and millions of others believe that Jesus is presently a KING that heads a government for a sovereign (so arguable could be described as a PRIME MINISTER) . I answered your question as best I could and will continue to do so despite your implyjng that it hurts your feelings and makes you feel "sad". I find that accepting one cannot make other people accept ones worldview goes a long way to protecting me against the sadness that might otherwise arise from being exposed to alternative points of view.

Despite your sadness Marco, please try and have a peaceful and upbuilding weekend,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

marco
Savant

Post #19

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
marco wrote:

You need add nothing; that you confess the statement in the OP is what you endorse speaks more than a million words.

I sincerely hope so, at least for the only person that really counts on matters of faith in my opinion.
I am humbled by such flattery. I can but echo the centurion's words that I am unworthy. All the same it is nice to know Marco does have some influence.

I and millions of others believe that Jesus is presently a KING that heads a government for a sovereign (so arguable could be described as a PRIME MINISTER) .
If numbers were truth the Pope would be even happier than you. Sadly, numbers often indicate something very different.
Despite your sadness Marco, please try and have a peaceful and upbuilding weekend,

Out of the depths of my affliction I wish you a similar peace this weekend. Perhaps the Lord will do something about our incarceration, for he did say he would set prisoners free. I trust he will use some discernment in doing so. Go well.

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

[Replying to post 16 by marco]
Isn't it strange we even give words to such thoughts.
Words are the thousand words to a picture...