Why do you care if people believe your god tales?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From a current thread:
Tcg wrote: Holding a negative view of atheists seems to be a requirement to bolster up some theologies. Holding a realistic view would cause to many cherished doctrines to crash to the ground.
"It is all a big conspiracy. The five percent (5%) who are Atheists are ganged up against we seventy percent (70%) who are Christians -- and they have a bunch of smart people and scientists on their side."

Of course, the spread of non-belief threatens the livelihood and status of preachers. But, why does it seem to so upset everyday believers? Does disbelief of others affect their own beliefs?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Re: Why do you care if people believe your god tales?

Post #111

Post by brunumb »

Overcomer wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm It's about entering into a relationship with God through the person of Jesus Christ by means of the Holy Spirit.
My apologies. I prefer to base being a good person on empathy and understanding of my fellow human beings without relying on fictional characters as a prop.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Why do you care if people believe your god tales?

Post #112

Post by Clownboat »

I'm sorry, but I don't think you understand what Christianity is about at all. It's about entering into a relationship with God through the person of Jesus Christ by means of the Holy Spirit.

Besides threats of hell, this relationship nonsense is another tool we used on others and ourselves to maintain some self indoctrination.

I use to tout that I had a relationship with a god. What a joke though when the claim is actually analyzed. Talking to an imaginary being would not be a relationship, how is talking to god concepts any different?

Anyone that has actual relationships with humans should know the difference. One is real and the other a religious platitude.
It isn't about wanting to get someone to be a good person by following a bunch of rules. It's about wanting to help someone re-establish that relationship with God, a relationship that has been broken by sin.
The relationship is a joke.
It's about going into the world and making disciples of all men. I'm just pointing out that this goal is best met by dealing with children. Threatening them with hell and promising a heaven is a mechanism that not only worked on me as a child, but one I used myself as a teenager.
It isn't about threatening people into the Kingdom of God.
Correct, it is not just about that. It is a mechanism I as a Christian used and one that was used on me though.
It's about loving them.
Religions and the gods are not needed for this. It is delusion that it appears you may have bought in to that would make you think you would be an unloving person without your beliefs IMO.
If your experience with Christianity has been otherwise, then you have been in the wrong church.
My church and the people in it were not a problem. I had a very good childhood and the church was a large part of it. It's the beliefs that can cause harm from my experience. Yours may vary.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb