Which Jesus was the real one?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Which Jesus was the real one?

Post #1

Post by marco »

People today worship or honour a variety of Christs. One is God, independent from the Father; one is a strange incarnation of God, who made a temporary appearance on earth; another is a very good man chosen by God to tell people good news, whatever that is; another is a wandering preacher full of good words but just a man like other men; some think Jesus is eternally present and can even advise them today.

Unfortunately the folk who gave us the photos were perhaps fake photographers, such as Matthew who had no problem in making things up for a good story. John confused the issue by writing there was the word and it had a bit to do with God - No, it was actually God. We can spend a few hours trying to make sense of that. If the carriers of truth are themselves vague or untruthful, where do you find truth?

Is Christ a multi-coloured invention? God, goodness, truth, shepherd, misunderstood preacher, blasphemer, redeemer....?

Is it possible to make a decision on who Christ was, or is?

Or should we accept the advice of religious experts of the time, the Jews who rejected him?

marco
Savant

Re: Which Jesus was the real one?

Post #2

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

The problem in looking for truth in Christ is sentimentality. He laid down his life for people in parts of Lebanon, Croatia, the Falkland Islands and New Zealand though they were in no apparent danger. He spoke not one single word that would indicate knowledge beyond the superstitions of his time: "And lo people will look at pictures from afar and see now what is happening a world away: amen I tell you that disease will be destroyed not by miracle but by the humblest of God's growths; I tell you truly that man shall one day fly above the clouds and even wander on the moon's wilderness. Instead we have storms and fevers and gnashing teeth. What a chance he missed to shine!

It would seem he gets his life from those who built him later into what he never claimed to be. He is Frankenstein Matthew's lovable monster maybe.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

My vote is that Jesus was a failed, apocalyptic prophet who was used by God anyway to (ultimately) bring ethical monotheism to the Nations. (Gentiles).

Yes, he said he was only sent to preach repentance to the "lost children of Israel" but his universally applicable message was picked up by Paul, who ran with it. It seems Jesus message was spread beyond his wildest dreams.

And Mohammed too, spread Jesus message of ethical monotheism, via his prophet status as indicated in the Qur'an.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: ...Is it possible to make a decision on who Christ was, or is?
Yes, it is possible. I have done that. I have decided Jesus is what Bible tells he is. :)

polonius
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by polonius »

1213 wrote:
Yes, it is possible. I have done that. I have decided Jesus is what Bible tells he is. :)
QUESTIONS:

When did Jesus die and when were the gospels written?

Did the writers of the gospels have any personal knowledge of Jesus?

Why were the gospels written?

Is your decision to believe what the Gospels say about Jesus founded on facts?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

1213 wrote:
What does the Bible say about who Jesus is?

According to Trinitarians, they see evidence of Jesus Divinity in the Bible, God the Son.
According to Jehovah's Witnesses and others, they see the Son of God, who was the "firstborn of all creation, though whom all things were created". But they do not see him as God.

What do you think the Bible says about who Jesus is?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

Great question! I believe the "real" Jesus is the Jesus portrayed by the gospel writers of the first century, not the one of the religious mythology built around him through subsequent centuries.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

Elijah John wrote: My vote is that Jesus was a failed, apocalyptic prophet who was used by God anyway to (ultimately) bring ethical monotheism to the Nations. (Gentiles).
I think the association of "anyway" with God's plan is perhaps flawed, EJ. The choice seems to be to accept the whole divine package or leave the stuff alone. Once accepted, the package can be put in its various compartments to satisfy Anglicans, Catholics, Lutherans and anybody else who's interested.

And Mohammed too, spread Jesus message of ethical monotheism, via his prophet status as indicated in the Qur'an.
I associate Muhammad more with camels and raiding parties as well as wives and concubines. Of course it was ingenious to enlist the help of the Jewish and Christian God and to place baby Jesus under a palm tree where almost immediately he spoke fluent Arabic. Clever baby! Christ is indeed what we make him.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]

This is what a real Jesus would have looked like:

Neither a four eyed, three mouthed creature nor a supermodel with perfectly quaffed hair.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #10

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:
I'm glad you show a sense of humour, 1213. Picking a page at random and accepting the translation, relying entirely on one's interpretational skills, is a big order. But you never know - Jesuits can do it, the Pope can do it , Baptists and Jehovah's Witnesses can do it as well. But maybe the Jesus they find isn't the one you find. Still, there's fun in pretending!