A more preposterous hypothesis

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

A more preposterous hypothesis

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Many of you have probably heard of Eric, the god-eating penguin.
"God can't exist because of Eric The God-Eating Penguin. Since Eric is God-Eating by definition, he has no choice but to eat God. So, if God exists, He automatically ceases to exist as a result of being eaten. Unless you can prove that Eric doesn't exist, God doesn't exist. Even if you can prove that Eric doesn't exist, that same proof will also be applicable to God. There are only two possibilities - either you can prove that Eric doesn't exist or you can't - in both cases it logically follows that God doesn't exist."
-- Mark
Eric is not the point of this post.
The point that:
I propose that there is nothing you can posit about god, or God, that a more preposterous claim can be made that still is more logical than God.

We can use Eric as a starting point, God is posited, Eric is posited, preposterously as demonstrating God cannot exist, yet still logically defeats the idea in both cases.

I believe this is true about anything that can be said about God.

Am I wrong? Can anyone think of anything?

Willum
Savant

Re: A more preposterous hypothesis

Post #61

Post by Willum »

1213 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:19 am
Willum wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:16 pm It isn't difficult, every religion, unless compeled by death, like Christianity, has atheists. China, Japan are nations of them, there have been notable atheists since the gods of Egypt were worshiped. Your religion is a very new one, that didn't have the entire world. To you, everyone worshiping a false god would be an atheists, OF SORTS, no?
No. And also, my “religion” is the belief in the God of Adam and Eve, I believe it is the first one.
You may believe it, but you have no good reason too, unless you can show me wrong?
Willum wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:16 pmLove
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/love
Ok, thanks. So, we have a different definition. And because Bible is older than that, I keep its definition, it is better.
Since your “definition” is not only fantasy, but undefined, I am going to have to call you on that.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #62

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:19 am No. And also, my “religion” is the belief in the God of Adam and Eve, I believe it is the first one.
If Adam and Eve are fictional characters, is the 'god' also fictional?
1213 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:19 am So, we have a different definition. And because Bible is older than that, I keep its definition, it is better.
Interesting attitude – use oldest definition for words. That must be quite a help in modern communication.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Post #63

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:19 am So, we have a different definition. And because Bible is older than that, I keep its definition, it is better.
What exactly is the Bible definition of love? Please don't give us the old, meaningless furphy of "God is love". That is not a definition. It's not even a deepity as far as I can tell.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #64

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:20 pm ...
You may believe it, but you have no good reason too, ...
I think Bible is good reason to believe. And I believe it, because I think people are too evil and ignorant to make it on their own, without God, but good and not good seem to be matters of opinions, which are not useful here.

Savant

Post #65

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:30 pm ...
Interesting attitude – use oldest definition for words. That must be quite a help in modern communication.
At least it is helpful, if one wants to understand what is written in the Bible.

Savant

Post #66

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 am ...What exactly is the Bible definition of love? Please don't give us the old, meaningless furphy of "God is love". That is not a definition. It's not even a deepity as far as I can tell.
By what the Bible tells, love is spirit. And if love influences in people, it shows in that person cares and doesn’t do anything evil/wrong to others. I think best would be to read the whole Bible, to understand what it means, but maybe this helps little:

Love is patient and is kind; love doesn't envy. Love doesn't brag, is not proud, doesn't behave itself inappropriately, doesn't seek its own way, is not provoked, takes no account of evil; doesn't rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will be done away with. Where there are various languages, they will cease. Where there is knowledge, it will be done away with.
1 Cor. 13:4-8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #67

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:44 pm
Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:30 pm Interesting attitude – use oldest definition for words. That must be quite a help in modern communication.
At least it is helpful, if one wants to understand what is written in the Bible.
What a shame that Bible translators and editors don't know as much as anonymous internet posters.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Post #68

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:44 pm By what the Bible tells, love is spirit.
That doesn't really give us a definition of love. What is spirit?

The rest of your post may indicate what love does, but doesn't actually say what it is. So we are left with very good dictionary definitions which make the Bible somewhat deficient in that regard.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Willum
Savant

Post #69

Post by Willum »

1213 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:44 pm
By what the Bible tells, love is spirit. And if love influences in people, it shows in that person cares and doesn’t do anything evil/wrong to others. I think best would be to read the whole Bible, to understand what it means, but maybe this helps little:

Love is patient and is kind; love doesn't envy. Love doesn't brag, is not proud... knowledge, it will be done away with.
1 Cor. 13:4-8
Super! Yes! You have done it again! Thank you! Another more preposterous hypothesis.

That description of love, if you read the entire Bible is a preposterous description of God.

For God so loved the world that he drowned everyone in it!
For God so loved the Hebrew that he put them in slavery many times and tortured them while in it.
For God so loved the world he authorized the genocide of many peoples.
For God so loved the world he gives instructions on when rape is possible.
For God so loved the world he put no provisions or punishments against child abuse or pedophilia - leading to hideous tradition of the acts by Rabbi and Priests for millennium.

Yes, well done.

And since your original post was we do not know love without God, well, we clearly do know these things without God.

Well done again.

You have created a bifurcated line of reasoning where, once you break them down, you find both solutions lead to the idea of God being preposterous.

Savant

Post #70

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 am ...For God so loved the world that he drowned everyone in it! …
Everyone? So, you think evil should continue forever? I am not surprised.
Willum wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 am ...For God so loved the Hebrew that he put them in slavery many times and tortured them while in it…
By what the Bible tells, God has not tortured.
Willum wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 am ...For God so loved the world he gives instructions on when rape is possible…
Really, where are those instructions?
Willum wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 am ...For God so loved the world he put no provisions or punishments against child abuse or pedophilia - leading to hideous tradition of the acts by Rabbi and Priests for millennium…
If people would obey the rules God has given, no child abuse would exist.