What is the greater evil?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

What is the greater evil?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

What is the greater evil, picking up sticks on the Sabbath? Or Stoning that person to death for doing so?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

gadfly
Student

Re: What is the greater evil?

Post #11

Post by gadfly »

Elijah John wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am What is the greater evil, picking up sticks on the Sabbath? Or Stoning that person to death for doing so?
I confess I am a bit of an historian and philosopher.

Thus I might amend: What is the greater evil, picking up sticks on the Sabbath, stoning a person for doing so, or for a person born almost 4,000 years later presuming he can legally represent someone born 4,000 years earlier.

That is, It should be noted that the human author who recorded the account didn't see an injustice. It should be noted that no one saw an injustice. Even when Moses was banned from the Promised land, he did not cry out "what?! Unfair?"

If they don't, why should we?

gadfly

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by DavidLeon »

gadfly wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:58 pm I confess I am a bit of an historian and philosopher.

Thus I might amend: What is the greater evil, picking up sticks on the Sabbath, stoning a person for doing so, or for a person born almost 4,000 years later presuming he can legally represent someone born 4,000 years earlier.

That is, It should be noted that the human author who recorded the account didn't see an injustice. It should be noted that no one saw an injustice. Even when Moses was banned from the Promised land, he did not cry out "what?! Unfair?"

gadfly
Not to mention that the law was tempered with mercy. Was Joseph stoned for not reporting Mary as a fornicator when he thought that must have been the case? David from keeping his company from the bread? Jesus from keeping his disciples from plucking the grain? When a child was born 8 days before the sabbath day the priests performed the circumcision on that day.

It's important to recognize what the law was and what it's purpose was. An imperfect law foreshadowing a more perfect law and a tutor. It taught the chosen people of Israel their sin and thus their need for the messiah.

The critic will spin it either way. Jesus was a sinner for disobeying the sabbath and what a horror it is to stone a person to death for picking up sticks on the sabbath. Anyone have a scriptural reference of anyone being stoned for picking up sticks on the sabbath?
I no longer post here

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Difflugia »

DavidLeon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:05 pmAnyone have a scriptural reference of anyone being stoned for picking up sticks on the sabbath?
Numbers 15:32-36:
And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the sabbath day. Those that found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses, Aaron, and to all the congregation. They held him, because it had not been decided what should be done to him. Then Yahweh said to Moses, "The man shall surely be put to death. The entire congregation shall stone him with stones outside of the camp." The entire congregation brought him outside of the camp and stoned him to death with stones, as Yahweh commanded Moses.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #14

Post by DavidLeon »

Difflugia wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:03 am
DavidLeon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:05 pmAnyone have a scriptural reference of anyone being stoned for picking up sticks on the sabbath?
Numbers 15:32-36:
And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the sabbath day. Those that found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses, Aaron, and to all the congregation. They held him, because it had not been decided what should be done to him. Then Yahweh said to Moses, "The man shall surely be put to death. The entire congregation shall stone him with stones outside of the camp." The entire congregation brought him outside of the camp and stoned him to death with stones, as Yahweh commanded Moses.
Excellent. My favorite Bible, the NWT gives Exodus 31:14 and Leviticus 24:14-16 as references. So what is happening in those scriptures that differs from the events of Joseph, David, Jesus, and the Priests circumcising I mentioned in my earlier post above? To me it seems that the earlier cases (picking up sticks and the references given) are of an example being given on the importance of the sabbath day during it's establishment.

So, what is the significance of the sabbath? It wasn't really about pork, shellfish and picking up sticks. See the post I made here today for the answer. It's a long one, but there's a short one here.
I no longer post here

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Difflugia »

DavidLeon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:22 amSo what is happening in those scriptures that differs from the events of Joseph, David, Jesus, and the Priests circumcising I mentioned in my earlier post above?
God told Moses to kill a man.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by DavidLeon »

Difflugia wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:52 am
DavidLeon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:22 amSo what is happening in those scriptures that differs from the events of Joseph, David, Jesus, and the Priests circumcising I mentioned in my earlier post above?
For picking up sticks. Right. So why didn't God instruct the others for more serious sins? I think because he was setting an example. The bigger question, though, is, what was the reasoning behind all of it? The answer is preserving God's purpose for man to live forever.
I no longer post here

RJG
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by RJG »

gadfly wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:58 pm
Elijah John wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am What is the greater evil, picking up sticks on the Sabbath? Or Stoning that person to death for doing so?
I confess I am a bit of an historian and philosopher.

gadfly
The Bible isn't a history book.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Difflugia »

DavidLeon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 am
Difflugia wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:52 amGod told Moses to kill a man.
For picking up sticks. Right.
Is that incredulity that God would be so fickle? Is the stated reason is so outrageous that there must have been a higher purpose than the one given in the text?
DavidLeon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 amSo why didn't God instruct the others for more serious sins?
Under what circumstances is it justifiable to have a man killed as a lesson to the others?
DavidLeon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 amI think because he was setting an example. The bigger question, though, is, what was the reasoning behind all of it? The answer is preserving God's purpose for man to live forever.
What happened to "the sabbath was made for man?" Was the sabbath made for the guy that they crushed with stones?

RJG
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by RJG »

Stoning somebody to death for doing nothing wrong is the action of a psychopath.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #20

Post by Elijah John »

Difflugia wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:52 am
Not just kill a man, but to kill him in an extremely cruel manner. I would ask the defenders of this incident, how in the world is that "justice tempered with mercy"?

But I doubt very much the orders originated from God. More probably from the barbarity of the theocratic ruler known as "Moses", who it seems was using God to shore up his own iron fist.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.