Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Buffet Christianity

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Buffet Christianity / Pick and Choose / Cherry Pick

Focus on parts of the Bible and ignore others. Claim that it is 'The word of God' also claim that parts have been superseded (God changed his mind about things?).

Paul/Saul and gospel writers disagree with many teachings of Judaism – but claim that their icon was the Jewish messiah (denied by Jews).

The NT does not list the Ten Commandments. Those come from Judaism (but are revered in Christendom). However, 600+ other rules from Judaism are cast aside as though they don't apply to Christians. Why some and not others? Did God decide which rules no longer apply – or which rules apply to which people? Or did humans decide?

Some Bible stories have come to be accepted as folklore or myth or parables (or simply ignored) – while others are fiercely defended as true accounts. Did Samson push down a large building by brute strength? Did Jonah live for three days inside a fish? Did the sea part on command? Well, maybe not literally, only figuratively.

Did Jesus come back to life? “Now wait a minute. That is a true story.”

Pick and choose.

Which stories, if any, are true and accurate accounts of events that actually happened in the real world – AND how can that be determined?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Buffet Christianity

Post #71

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:58 pm
JW lives in Finland (if memory serves correctly) where the time is several hours later than Forum time. Also JW shows indication of being she rather than he.
How exactly is my sex or nationality relevant to the discussion? What next? My skin colour? Would it not be better to concentrate on the post rather than the poster?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #72

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:45 am
Zzyzx wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:58 pm JW lives in Finland (if memory serves correctly) where the time is several hours later than Forum time. Also JW shows indication of being she rather than he.
How exactly is my sex or nationality relevant to the discussion? What next? My skin colour? Would it not be better to concentrate on the post rather than the poster?
Records show that a couple days ago you thanked my post that made the suggestion. What changed?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #73

Zzyzx wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:06 am Records show that a couple days ago you thanked my post that made the suggestion.
I thank people if I appreciate something in their post, I have NEVER thanked any poster however for pointing out my sex or location.

I REPEAT : My question was How exactly is my sex or my location relevant to the discussion? .... Would it not be better to concentrate on the post rather than the poster?

I expect better of the posters on this forum.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #74

Post by Mithrae »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:45 am Would it not be better to concentrate on the post rather than the poster?
Or perhaps more to the point, maybe it would be best to discuss the topic of the thread: Which is the 'buffet' manner in which some (perhaps minority of) Christians pick and choose from their scriptures despite claiming "100% truth and accuracy" for every passage therein. As I argued at the start of the thread, everyone picks and chooses from the range of limited information and uncertainties available to them, up to and including (or perhaps especially) their foundational values and epistemic axioms, Christians obviously being no exception, but the claim to actually possess something of absolute truth is obviously incompatible with such a buffet approach; either that claim or the picking and choosing must be irrational.

And let's face it, there's no way around the picking and choosing from the bible. The decision to treat literally dozens of 'everlasting' rules, regulations and covenants from the Torah as being now defunct or irrelevant - even while simultaneously claiming to be heirs of that covenant, in the case of the one given to the "father of many nations" Abraham - being a particular case in point.
Last edited by Mithrae on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #75

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:22 am
Zzyzx wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:06 am Records show that a couple days ago you thanked my post that made the suggestion.
I thank people if I appreciate something in their post, I have NEVER thanked any poster however for pointing out my sex or location
There was nothing else in my post -- read it -- #70

What happened? Run out of legitimate complaints?
Non-Theist

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #76

Zzyzx wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 am

There was the following ....
Be nice.

Now, I do not come here to discuss my personal life and do not expect my person to become the focus of a post have I made myself clear?

Mithrae wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:42 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:45 am Would it not be better to concentrate on the post rather than the poster?
Or perhaps more to the point, maybe it would be best to discuss the topic of the thread

Indeed and I don't believe my sex or location was "the topic of the thread". Lets hope the point is not lost on those that wish to talk about what sex I am rather than the topic at hand.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonjun
Student

Post #77

Post by tonjun »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Zzyzx wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 am

Be nice.

Now, I do not come here to discuss my personal life and do not expect my person to become the focus of a post have I made myself clear?

Mithrae wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:42 am
Or perhaps more to the point, maybe it would be best to discuss the topic of the thread

Indeed and I don't believe my sex or location was "the topic of the thread". Now would you like to actually do what you recommend ?

JW
This is why I stay away from Christianity. It really messes with your head when you can't find solutions to big problems of the faith you're taught to believe.

The breakdown before the breakthrough.

That is, if you can face reality.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #78

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Zzyzx wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 am There was nothing else in my post -- read it -- #70
Zzyzx wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:58 pm Be nice.
I see, you read 'Be nice' and didn't notice anything 'offensive' in the post at the time?

If someone posted a mistake (as I thought tonjun may have done in post #69) referring to location or gender, and if it applied to me, I would have no objection to another person attempting to correct the mistake. I certainly would not take offense – since I am not unduly sensitive about my gender or location.

Pardon me if you are tender about such things.

Perhaps it is understandable that it be made an issue by those wish to distract attention away from the OP question (to which let's return):

“Which stories, if any, are true and accurate accounts of events that actually happened in the real world – AND how can that be determined?”
Non-Theist

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #79

tonjun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:12 pm
JW just concludes after leaving everyone hanging as to what his position is to just say 'good evening' to all.
I posted my position right at the beginning of the thread. Here is the LINK
viewtopic.php?p=1014178#p1014178

I am unaware of any obligation to post in a thread forever.

JW

tonjun
Student

Post #80

Post by tonjun »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 am
tonjun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:12 pm
JW just concludes after leaving everyone hanging as to what his position is to just say 'good evening' to all.
I posted my position right at the beginning of the thread. Here is the LINK
viewtopic.php?p=1014178#p1014178

I am unaware of any obligation to post in a thread forever.

JW
That was not a conclusion in this thread.

Your post #12 was followed up with post #17. Then you posted 18 times thereafter that.

I don't see how you speak the truth to me when you have posted 18 times more after your purported conclusion from post 12.

Your postulated conclusion was then rearranged into a drawn out question that you had no answer for.

That was your real conclusion.

That you have no answer or alternative solution to your question you keep asking for.