Why Materialism is Evil

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Swami
Sage

Why Materialism is Evil

Post #1

Post by Swami »

In materialism, everything is limited and perishable. It does not tell you about the origins and true nature of the Universe.
When people identify with such philosophy it leads to despair. You realize that there is no infinite Source of happiness, no immortality, no free-will, and most importantly, no way to transcend the wordly passions of the mind and body.

Religion points to the infinite and imperishable. Religion tells you about the true nature of reality. Spirituality allows you to experience all of this. The truths that come from the great wisdom traditions stand the test of time, whereas the truths of scientist only lasts for decades or maybe a century and then they are disproven or replaced with new theories. Religion reveals that everyone lives forever, we were already in existence even before you were born. Religion leads to infinite source of bliss.

John's Gospel chapter 4
13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”

Chandogya Upanishad 7.23
The Infinite is bliss. There is no bliss in anything finite. Infinity only is bliss. This Infinity, however, we must desire to understand.'

Why is it that some refuse to accept a system (religion) that leads you to an infinite source? Is it ignorance? Do they not know that materialism is evil?

Icey
Student

Re: Why Materialism is Evil

Post #2

Post by Icey »

Swami wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 am In materialism, everything is limited and perishable. It does not tell you about the origins and true nature of the Universe.
When people identify with such philosophy it leads to despair. You realize that there is no infinite Source of happiness, no immortality, no free-will, and most importantly, no way to transcend the wordly passions of the mind and body.

Religion points to the infinite and imperishable. Religion tells you about the true nature of reality. Spirituality allows you to experience all of this. The truths that come from the great wisdom traditions stand the test of time, whereas the truths of scientist only lasts for decades or maybe a century and then they are disproven or replaced with new theories. Religion reveals that everyone lives forever, we were already in existence even before you were born. Religion leads to infinite source of bliss.

John's Gospel chapter 4
13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”

Chandogya Upanishad 7.23
The Infinite is bliss. There is no bliss in anything finite. Infinity only is bliss. This Infinity, however, we must desire to understand.'

Why is it that some refuse to accept a system (religion) that leads you to an infinite source? Is it ignorance? Do they not know that materialism is evil?
Religion is man made (not the belief so much as the act of the believing) and, as with most (if not all) of things humanity gets it hands on, it become corrupt. Money, greed, control, hate...all hide behind religion.
This is why some don't subscribe to religion.
About materialism, it's only, like most everything, as bad as you let it become.

Swami
Sage

Post #3

Post by Swami »

Icey wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:57 pm Religion is man made (not the belief so much as the act of the believing) and, as with most (if not all) of things humanity gets it hands on, it become corrupt. Money, greed, control, hate...all hide behind religion.
This is why some don't subscribe to religion.
About materialism, it's only, like most everything, as bad as you let it become.
"Religion is corrupt"..
By nature, religion is not corrupt. By nature, materialism is corruptible and evil. Spiritual things can not become corrupt and die. The material or physical becomes corrupt and eventually dies. Therefore, religion can not become corrupt when it is in perfect harmony with spirituality. Religion can only become corrupt when it is focused on material things.

You can have religion with spirituality. You can also have religion without spirituality.
Eckhart Tolle

"Religion is man made"..
Spirituality and God are not man made. These two are innate to all existence. Scientists have found that there is a God and spiritual part of the brain. Religion is just an expression or description of that side of us.

RJG
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by RJG »

Religion has caused more problems in this world over the centuries than anything else. :-x

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

Materialism can be defined in two different ways. It can be defined as "a tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values" or as "the doctrine that nothing exists except matter and its movements and modifications" (from the Oxford Dictionary). I'm assuming you're talking about the first, are you, Swami?

I disagree with your comment that spiritual things cannot be corrupt. Satan and his demons are spiritual entities existing in the spiritual realm and they are pure evil. Paul exhorts believers to put on the full armour of God because "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (Eph. 6:12).

Satan is the father of lies (John 8:44). One of his favourite lies is that God doesn't exist. But I think he loves the lie that he himself doesn't exist even more because it leaves people wide open to his influence and manipulation without them having a clue.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

Overcomer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 pm I disagree with your comment that spiritual things cannot be corrupt.
Let's argue about the corruption of imaginary entities. We can make up whatever we like and pretend the characters we image are real.
Overcomer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 pm Satan and his demons are spiritual entities existing in the spiritual realm and they are pure evil.

“I have a book that says so” and “I think they are real.” Evidence that anyone interested can verify?
Overcomer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 pm Paul exhorts believers to put on the full armour of God because "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (Eph. 6:12).
That is one way to sell religion to Gentiles – create an imaginary problem for people then offer a solution that you can provide at no cost. Great business plan.
Overcomer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 pm Satan is the father of lies (John 8:44).
Did the writer of “John” (whoever that may have been) KNOW Satan or have first-hand knowledge of his 'lies'?
Overcomer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 pm One of his favourite lies is that God doesn't exist.
Has Satan said that? References.

How do you know so much about Satan?
Overcomer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 pm But I think he loves the lie that he himself doesn't exist even more because it leaves people wide open to his influence and manipulation without them having a clue.
Is that a lie? Kindly provide verifiable evidence to show it is a lie as you seem to think.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #7

Post by bluegreenearth »

Swami wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 amWhy is it that some refuse to accept a system (religion) that leads you to an infinite source? Is it ignorance? Do they not know that materialism is evil?
It is not that I "refuse to accept a system (religion) that leads me to an infinite source" but that I'm not convinced by fallacious arguments.

Swami
Sage

Post #8

Post by Swami »

Overcomer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 pm Materialism can be defined in two different ways. It can be defined as "a tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values" or as "the doctrine that nothing exists except matter and its movements and modifications" (from the Oxford Dictionary). I'm assuming you're talking about the first, are you, Swami?
Jesus said the world is evil. As for your question, I am referring to
I am speaking of both. Jesus talks about not going by sight and how the world is evil. My worldview takes this further. What we perceive is not the true state of things. Not knowing the truth leads to limitations and ignorance, and these two lead to suffering. This is why I view materialism as the greatest evil developed by man.
Overcomer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 pmI disagree with your comment that spiritual things cannot be corrupt. Satan and his demons are spiritual entities existing in the spiritual realm and they are pure evil. Paul exhorts believers to put on the full armour of God because "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (Eph. 6:12).

Satan is the father of lies (John 8:44). One of his favourite lies is that God doesn't exist. But I think he loves the lie that he himself doesn't exist even more because it leaves people wide open to his influence and manipulation without them having a clue.
I will not dispute your experience. What we have in common is the belief that religion leads to the infinite. Materialism leads to the finite.

brunumb
Savant

Post #9

Post by brunumb »

Swami wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 am In materialism, everything is limited and perishable.
Energy/matter cannot be created or destroyed.
It does not tell you about the origins and true nature of the Universe.
In reality, nor does religion.
When people identify with such philosophy it leads to despair.
Unsupported claim and not necessarily true. Lots of things may lead to despair.
You realize that there is no infinite Source of happiness, no immortality, no free-will, and most importantly, no way to transcend the wordly passions of the mind and body.
So what? If that is in fact true you make do with the reality you have, not an invented fictional one.
Religion points to the infinite and imperishable.
But not necessarily the real.
Religion tells you about the true nature of reality.
No. It only makes that unsupported claim.
Spirituality allows you to experience all of this.
It allows you to imagine that you experience all of this.
The truths that come from the great wisdom traditions stand the test of time,
They don't even stand the test of close scrutiny.
whereas the truths of scientist only lasts for decades or maybe a century and then they are disproven or replaced with new theories.
The beauty of the scientific method is that it is self-correcting and constantly improves on our theories and understanding of the world.
Religion reveals that everyone lives forever, we were already in existence even before you were born.
It reveals no such thing. It merely makes these unsupported claims for the gullible to consume.
Religion leads to infinite source of bliss.
Tell that to the countless human beings who have suffered as a direct consequence of religion.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #10

Post by Bust Nak »

Swami wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 am In materialism, everything is limited and perishable. It does not tell you about the origins and true nature of the Universe.

Taking everything you said here for granted, you still haven't made the case that materialism is evil, only they are different. Are unhappy beliefs inherently evil to you?