Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

The Impact Of God's Objective Morality

Post #1

Post by Miles »

In my wanderings I came across the following:

"What is Objective Morality?

Objective morality, in the simplest terms, is the belief that morality is universal, meaning that it isn't up for interpretation. Some people may think of objective morality as commandments from God, while other people may think the universe has some objective rules we may follow. There are certainly some arguments for objective morality to be had. Apologists for religion will define objective morality according to the commandments of their God. Other people may look at some universal laws, such as murder being bad."

source

Intrigued, I looked a bit further into objective morality and its likely dependence on god and found this:

“How do you define right and wrong?” This question has never been more important than in these times of eroding morals and constantly changing values. We, as a society, have moved away from absolutes. “Moral relativism” is the rule of the day.

To know the difference between right and wrong, a person must have a base to start with. This is where God comes in. He has set clear standards for right and wrong, based upon His own perfect nature. We have already learned that these standards are worth heeding because God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and ever-present. Now let’s look a bit deeper into His character.

As in ancient times, our world worships many false gods. But our Bible teaches of the one true God, the only God whose knowledge and words are true.

How can we know that we worship the true God? Is it because we feel right or have certain opinions? Certainly not, for we are flawed in our ability to know what is true or false. The final court of arbitration is God Himself. He has told us that He exists and that He is truth (Jeremiah 10:10; John 17:3; Romans 9:20)
source

Interesting, but "He has set clear standards for right and wrong, based upon His own perfect nature." raises a peculiar question. In the Bible god condones slavery:

Leviticus 25:44
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you.

Colossians 3:22
Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.

Exodus 21:20-21
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Exodus 21:2
When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing.

And even in New Testament times god continues to authorize the owning other human beings.

Titus 2:9
Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative,

1 Timothy 6:1
Let all who are under a yoke as slaves regard their own masters as worthy of all honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may not be reviled.

But as I recall, owning other humans was outlawed years ago in the USA and elsewhere because it was grossly immoral, which is why it was abolished.

"Slavery is one of the things that everyone agrees is unethical. In fact there is such general agreement that most people would probably say that 'slavery is wrong just because it's wrong'."

source

And everyone I've ever talked to says slavery is immoral, if not worse.

SO, did god blow it in condoning slavery? Or is it truly alright to own others as slaves?

What is your position
1) God condones the right to own slaves, so it's alright to do so. Too bad for the slaves, but that's just the way it goes.
2) God condones the right to own slaves, so it's alright to do so even though I feel it's an onerous and immoral decision.
3) God condones the right to own slaves, but it isn't alright to do so. God is simply wrong.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Re: The Impact Of God's Objective Morality

Post #91

Post by bluegreenearth »

DavidLeon wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:55 pmYeah. It doesn't work. I tried. It's Jesus, okay? I could have involved one human in the scenario but I got bored. The purpose of the thing was to get you to think outside of religious. Sorry about that. You win some you lose some.
I'm not sure how you've concluded that the strategy didn't work. I was thinking outside of religion and inside the context of the story. So, your purpose was achieved in that sense.
DavidLeon wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:55 pmIt's broke. Leave it alone.
Please clarify what broke and why?

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #92

Post by DavidLeon »

bluegreenearth wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:46 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:55 pmYeah. It doesn't work. I tried. It's Jesus, okay? I could have involved one human in the scenario but I got bored. The purpose of the thing was to get you to think outside of religious. Sorry about that. You win some you lose some.
I'm not sure how you've concluded that the strategy didn't work. I was thinking outside of religion and inside the context of the story. So, your purpose was achieved in that sense.
DavidLeon wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:55 pmIt's broke. Leave it alone.
Please clarify what broke and why?
The experiment. Trying to get you to think outside the box, religiously speaking, to appreciate the account of Jesus' resurrection in a new light. Recall that I was focused on concept typically thought of as religious that really isn't.

It's broke because I can't seem to easily and realistically sustain the story while maintaining the integrity of the original. It was successful, though, in that you were asking the right questions. I don't know if you were doing this with the resurrection account as inspiration or the story. It doesn't matter, suppose, but it would be a great deal less time consuming and effective if we left out the aliens and off world colonies, don't you think?

The soul is the life, experiences and blood of any breathing creature. Spirit is something invisible to us which produces active results. Wind, breath, mental inclination, spirit creatures (angels), sin means missing the mark and applies to anything as set by anyone. Faith is trust. God is anyone or anything that is venerated.

Real simple.

Jesus wasn't a zombie real (poisoned to appear without vitals) or horror. He was a spirit being who's human form was executed and he took on another to convince his followers.
Last edited by DavidLeon on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #93

Post by DavidLeon »

Mithrae wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:18 am
bluegreenearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:35 pm I certainly don't need to wait for my neighbor's barren wife to miraculously give birth to a son who subsequently grows up to become an HVAC technician, spend time in jail after being wrongfully accused of burglarizing my home, and then voluntarily repair my air-conditioner during his parole.
You don't? Weird. That's the logical thing to do. How else would we know that justice had been served?
I found this to be quite amusing. Then I started thinking maybe you were on to something Mithrae. Bluegreenearth's method may be quicker than the traditional.
I no longer post here