The Flood - specific question

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

The Flood - specific question

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Why is it every other culture acknowledges the Flood is a myth, even the originators of the tale(s), but since your religion says it is true, you can ignore that everyone else saying it is a myth, and use their claims of myth as supporting your story?

There are global flood myths in North and South America - no one believes seriously. Those from Armenia, Sumeria, and many many others, I am sure I have not mentioned and many I am unaware of; they are acknowledged myths.

Why and how can the Biblical story be correct, yet all these others myths, and geology, genetic migration, geography and so on be wrong?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The Flood - specific question

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Bandwagon is a fallacy based on the assumption that the opinion of the majority is always valid: that is, everyone believes it, so you should too. It is also called an appeal to popularity, the authority of the many, and argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people").]
I don't sway to popular beliefs just because said belief is popular. Truth stands on its own merit even if it has to stand alone.

Willum wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 amWhy and how can the Biblical story be correct, yet all these others myths, and geology, genetic migration, geography and so on be wrong?
I dont believe they are wrong in essence. Mythology is mankind's way of handing down it's history. I believe that the bible is the only completely accurate account of the global flood but that the various myths (even if they contain distortions or inaccuracies) have some truth to them and are evidence that the account of a global flood is based on a true and historical event.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Why are flood myths so widespread?
viewtopic.php?p=1014830#p1014830

Could the patriarchs really have lived as long as the bible says?
viewtopic.php?p=1015060#p1015060
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brunumb
Savant

Post #3

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:25 am Truth stands on its own merit even if it has to stand alone.
And the truth is that the biblical flood did not and could not have occurred. We have known that for at least the last century. Unlike Santa and Easter Bunny, it seems that some imaginary characters and events are just too hard to let go.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]

That is, of course, an improper use of the “bandwagon” fallacy.
Everyone agrees to the story, or the bandwagon.
Only one culture was foolish enough to take it seriously enough to incorporate it into their “holy stories,” and thus require an argument for it needing to be true.

You see the difference, of course?

I am also unsure how you picked the elaboration of the op to address, instead of its main character. Doing this inadvertently, I am sure, introduced confusion, and may subsequently deceive other posters.
Something I am sure you would never desire.

But the reply has readdressed that, awaiting your reply.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 am Why is it every other culture acknowledges the Flood is a myth…
Do you have some good reason to believe that?
Willum wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 am…Why and how can the Biblical story be correct, yet all these others myths, and geology, genetic migration, geography and so on be wrong?
I believe the Bible story, because world is full of evidence for that.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:03 pm
Willum wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 am Why and how can the Biblical story be correct, yet all these others myths, and geology, genetic migration, geography and so on be wrong?
I believe the Bible story, because world is full of evidence for that.
I have forgotten the term for clinging to beliefs in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #7

Post by Willum »

[Replying to 1213 in post #5]
Do you have some good reason to believe that?
Yes, 1. In general it is called being educated in many different fairytales, not just the Biblical one.
Check out Deucelion’s flood, a Greek comedy.
Native American Indian, Armenian, and so on.
Wiki has a section on it.

The world has no global flood evidence.
As I seem to recall, you have presented evidence on many levels that demonstrate local floods...?

Leonardo Betetto
Student

Post #8

Post by Leonardo Betetto »

The flood could not be avoided whether we sinned or not, as it was a consequence of the melting of the glaciers after about 17,000 years ago. It is not by human sin, but by nature itself.
Leonard
Spiritual Warrior, prophet
https://leonardobetetto.com/en/

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Zzyzx »

Leonardo Betetto wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:28 am The flood could not be avoided whether we sinned or not, as it was a consequence of the melting of the glaciers after about 17,000 years ago. It is not by human sin, but by nature itself.
Is this opinion based on knowledge of glaciology, geology, hydrology -- or perhaps upon study of theology?

Do you propose that the Earth WAS flooded 'to the tops of mountains' (per the Genesis account or similar) as a result of glacial melting?

Using large font does not increase one's credibility.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Leonardo Betetto
Student

Post #10

Post by Leonardo Betetto »

I am approaching this topic from two perspectives:

1. Mythological: Genesis was taken from the epic of Gilgamesh, from the Sumerians.

2. Scientific: indeed there were many deluges due to glacial melt.

The covered up to the mountains do not forget is a biblical legend.
Leonard
Spiritual Warrior, prophet
https://leonardobetetto.com/en/