The ONLY "Christian community" or "True Christian" sect?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From a current thread:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Zzyzx wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:01 am CLARIFICATION: When I say "Christian Community" or "true Christians" I was refering exclusively to the religion of Jehovahs Witnesses according to the beliefs of this group.
That seems to be suggesting an attitude that JWs have exclusive claim to being "Christian community" or "True Christian."
That is the Jehovahs Witness official belief.
Yes, that IS the official teaching of JW
Although many of their eschatological teachings have changed over the years, Jehovah's Witnesses have consistently claimed to be the only true religion. Based on their interpretation of Revelation 18:2-24, Jehovah's Witnesses believe all other religions are part of "Babylon the Great", a "world empire of false religion" under the control of Satan; consequently, they refuse all ecumenical relations with other religious denominations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%2 ... orationism

Is it a form of self-delusion for ANY sect to claim to be the only "Christian community" or "True Christian”?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The ONLY "Christian community" or "True Christian" sect?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm Is it a form of self-delusion for ANY sect to claim to be the only "Christian community" or "True Christian”?
No, I dont think so as long as it's a matter of their belief, ( Christanity is after all a belief system) ... do you have any reason to think it is?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Is it a form of self-delusion for ANY sect to claim to be the only "Christian community" or "True Christian”?
I think it depends on to what it is based. Bible tells that Christians means a disciple of Jesus. And person is truly a disciple of Jesus, if he remains in the words of Jesus.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Now, if it can be shown that someone doesn’t remain in the words of Jesus, then it can be said that the person is not truly Christian. And in that case, it would not be self-deluded. But, it may be difficult to really prove who are loyal to Jesus and who are not. I don’t think it is necessary for us to declare who are. It would be enough to teach what Jesus said and expect those people to remain in words of Jesus. Unfortunately, it seems to me that there are lot of “Christian” people who don’t remain in words of Jesus, but rather follow own doctrines.

Muffinmayne
Student

Post #4

Post by Muffinmayne »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #1]

I think there’s definitely a true Christian sect ,if you will. Amongst people there will always be different understandings and conflict tho. You can judge if someone is Christian by how they live regardless of what denomination they fall under.

There were no bibles when Christianity started. It’s just a belief in Christ. In fact it wasn’t even called Christianity it was just called “the way”

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:34 pm You can judge if someone is Christian by how they live regardless of what denomination they fall under.
OH? Can a Christian really be identified by how they live?

A very Christian friend once told me, “You are [act] more Christian than 98% of those who call themselves Christians”.

I am decidedly NOT a Christian. Have I been drafted?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Muffinmayne
Student

Post #6

Post by Muffinmayne »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #5]

Possibly. Your morals may align with Christians. I could just ask you if you believed in Christ and you would tell me no. Not hard to figure out.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:12 pm Possibly. Your morals may align with Christians. I could just ask you if you believed in Christ and you would tell me no. Not hard to figure out.
That was a pretty quick switch from "Tell a Christian by how they act" to "Ask them"

Don't actions speak louder than words in Christianity?

Is it time to acknowledge that you (generic term) CANNOT tell if someone is a Christian by how they live? Many Christians seem to think that they are set apart from others by their high moral values (self-aggrandizement), but in real life, most Christians act pretty much like everyone else. Many or most do NOT faithfully ADHERE to the 'superior moral code' they claim to follow.
Non-Theist

Muffinmayne
Student

Post #8

Post by Muffinmayne »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #7]

Sure you can tell by how someone lives. I said how they live not act, but I don’t care to argue semantics. How you live or act includes whether or not you confess Christ to be your savior or not. It’s quite a large part of the religion, confessing Christ as ones savior.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Zzyzx »

Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:05 pm I don’t care to argue semantics.
Refreshing. Thanks. Most Apologists who debate here are quite eager to play word games.
Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:05 pm How you live or act includes whether or not you confess Christ to be your savior or not.
How can 'confess Christ' be determined without asking?

If two people act / live very similarly but one is Christian and the other is not. How can you (generic term) tell which is which without asking?
Non-Theist

Muffinmayne
Student

Post #10

Post by Muffinmayne »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #9]

I would find it weird to go through life not asking questions, but if I was, in a non creepy way, observing two people who had the same set of morals how could I tell which one was Christian? Which one goes to church? Which one prays? Which one tithes? I’m sure there’s ways to figure it out, but why do that when I could just ask?