The ONLY "Christian community" or "True Christian" sect?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From a current thread:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Zzyzx wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:01 am CLARIFICATION: When I say "Christian Community" or "true Christians" I was refering exclusively to the religion of Jehovahs Witnesses according to the beliefs of this group.
That seems to be suggesting an attitude that JWs have exclusive claim to being "Christian community" or "True Christian."
That is the Jehovahs Witness official belief.
Yes, that IS the official teaching of JW
Although many of their eschatological teachings have changed over the years, Jehovah's Witnesses have consistently claimed to be the only true religion. Based on their interpretation of Revelation 18:2-24, Jehovah's Witnesses believe all other religions are part of "Babylon the Great", a "world empire of false religion" under the control of Satan; consequently, they refuse all ecumenical relations with other religious denominations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%2 ... orationism

Is it a form of self-delusion for ANY sect to claim to be the only "Christian community" or "True Christian”?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Re: The ONLY "Christian community" or "True Christian" sect?

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:03 pm [Replying to Zzyzx in post #9]

I would find it weird to go through life not asking questions, but if I was, in a non creepy way, observing two people who had the same set of morals how could I tell which one was Christian? Which one goes to church? Which one prays? Which one tithes? I’m sure there’s ways to figure it out, but why do that when I could just ask?
You've already claimed to know how to figure it out:
Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:34 pm
You can judge if someone is Christian by how they live regardless of what denomination they fall under.
You'd need to ask because the original method you proposed is clearly deficient.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm .

From a current thread:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:01 am CLARIFICATION: When I say "Christian Community" or "true Christians" I was refering exclusively to the religion of Jehovahs Witnesses according to the beliefs of this group.
That seems to be suggesting an attitude that JWs have exclusive claim to being "Christian community" or "True Christian."
Although many of their eschatological teachings have changed over the years, Jehovah's Witnesses have consistently claimed to be the only true religion. Based on their interpretation of Revelation 18:2-24, Jehovah's Witnesses believe all other religions are part of "Babylon the Great", a "world empire of false religion" under the control of Satan; consequently, they refuse all ecumenical relations with other religious denominations.

Is it a form of self-delusion for ANY sect to claim to be the only "Christian community" or "True Christian”?
It is particularly odd in this specific example that this group claims to be a separate religion. They are clearly simply one of many branches of Christianity and one of relatively recent origin at that. Whether this is a result of self-delusion or an intentional strategy is hard to tell. In any case, the claim is not factual.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Zzyzx »

Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:03 pm I would find it weird to go through life not asking questions, but if I was, in a non creepy way, observing two people who had the same set of morals how could I tell which one was Christian? Which one goes to church? Which one prays? Which one tithes? I’m sure there’s ways to figure it out, but why do that when I could just ask?
Do you recall saying in post #4 "You can judge if someone is Christian by how they live regardless of what denomination they fall under"?

Now you seem to be saying that one identifies a Christian by seeing if they go to church, pray, and tithe -- or ASK them? There is no mention of identifying Christians by their actions not directly connected to church (or perhaps a cross necklace or a fish placard on their car).

If a person attends a Christian church does that ensure they are Christian? If they appear to pray, how do you know which of the 'gods' they worship? If they are very poor and cannot tithe, does that mean they are not Christian?

If a person SAYS they are a Christian does that mean that they must be telling the truth? (Side note: In this Forum the theological position declared by members is accepted and cannot be challenged by others).

Might it be wise to acknowledge that you (generic term) CANNOT identify Christians by how they live?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Post #14

Post by brunumb »

Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:03 pm [Replying to Zzyzx in post #9]

I would find it weird to go through life not asking questions, but if I was, in a non creepy way, observing two people who had the same set of morals how could I tell which one was Christian? Which one goes to church? Which one prays? Which one tithes? I’m sure there’s ways to figure it out, but why do that when I could just ask?
If one removes the three practices that I bolded in your post one might also remove identifiable Christians but, in my opinion, not necessarily better human beings.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Muffinmayne
Student

Post #15

Post by Muffinmayne »

[Replying to brunumb in post #14]

I wasn’t going to type out every way possible one could identify a Christian. I just wanted to answer the question, not break down every detail of how it’s identify a group.

Muffinmayne
Student

Post #16

Post by Muffinmayne »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #13]

I just replied to the post below this one with an answer that would probably be close to how I would answer this one. I can’t and don’t want to, so I won’t, sit and name every way you can identify a Christian. I just was pointing out the most obvious, or the ways that came to my mind the quickest. I like 3’s so I gave you 3.

I’m not sure why In real life I would not ask any questions or disconnect a religion from its place of worship, money, and prayer (communion with God). To me that is a part of living life. Why would I detach myself or others from those things?

I guess there could be a poor person who goes to church, but is actually Buddhist (or any other religion) but claims to believe in Jesus and prays, but not to the Christian god.

I wouldn’t be able to tell what religion by observing them, I don’t think I’d be able to tell you what religion they were if they told me what religion they were.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #17

Post by Clownboat »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm .

From a current thread:

Delusions are trickier: it’s not about what someone perceives, but what they believe. Delusions have many forms, like grandiose delusions, where an individual believes they’re far more impressive than is the case (e.g. believing they’re a world-leading business genius despite being a part-time shoe shop employee), or the more common persecutory delusions, where an individual believes they are being relentlessly persecuted (eg everyone they meet is part of some shadowy government plot to kidnap them). These delusions tend to be very resistant to argument, no matter how blatant the evidence to the contrary: “If you’re a world-leading business guru, why do you flip burgers for a living?” “It’s all part of my brilliant plan, you wouldn’t understand”, or “That’s not a secret government spy, it’s an old man walking his dog” “Well you WOULD say that, you’re in on it!” And so on.

That’s actually one of the signs of delusional beliefs: they’re very resistant to being challenged, no matter how inconsistent they are with reality. Because the brain isn’t “working” like it should, logic and reason aren’t as potent they might otherwise be.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/bra ... 0delusions.

IMO, religions are the delusion, belief in them isn't.
Claiming to be part of the one true religion or what have you is delusional (who could possibly know such a thing afterall), but again, their belief in the delusion isn't.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #18

Post by DavidLeon »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm Is it a form of self-delusion for ANY sect to claim to be the only "Christian community" or "True Christian”?
No. It is subjective, though. If someone claims to be the the only true anything it is a matter of it being alone in upholding the principles of the thing without compromise or contrary outside influence.
Last edited by DavidLeon on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #19

Post by DavidLeon »

1213 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:53 pm
Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm

I think it depends on to what it is based. Bible tells that Christians means a disciple of Jesus. And person is truly a disciple of Jesus, if he remains in the words of Jesus.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Now, if it can be shown that someone doesn’t remain in the words of Jesus, then it can be said that the person is not truly Christian. And in that case, it would not be self-deluded. But, it may be difficult to really prove who are loyal to Jesus and who are not. I don’t think it is necessary for us to declare who are. It would be enough to teach what Jesus said and expect those people to remain in words of Jesus. Unfortunately, it seems to me that there are lot of “Christian” people who don’t remain in words of Jesus, but rather follow own doctrines.
This, too, is subjective. An interesting point to consider with the Jehovah's Witnesses is that where other Christians think of Jesus as the only way to God, the Jehovah's Witnesses think of The Watchtower as the only way to Jesus.
I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #20

Post by DavidLeon »

Muffinmayne wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:34 pm [Replying to Zzyzx in post #1]

I think there’s definitely a true Christian sect, if you will. Amongst people there will always be different understandings and conflict tho. You can judge if someone is Christian by how they live regardless of what denomination they fall under.

There were no bibles when Christianity started. It’s just a belief in Christ. In fact it wasn’t even called Christianity it was just called “the way”
At Acts 9:2 the term "The Way" is used. Acts 11:26 the term "Christian" is used. Jehovah's Witnesses are often viewed as not being Christian because they don't subscribe to the Nicene Creed.

What always seemed perplexing to me is that Christians operate on the premise that all are sinners, while putting on some sort of facade that excludes them from sin. The effects of sin continue until death. (Romans 6:7) In my experience the JWs put on the biggest show of all the Christians.
I no longer post here