Why is Christianity declining in the US and other advanced / technological / educated nations?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Why is Christianity declining in the US and other advanced / technological / educated nations?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Why is Christianity declining in the US and other advanced / technological / educated nations (particularly among younger generations)?
New Pew survey finds self-identified US Christians dropped 12% in a decade, as number of those claiming no religious affiliation surged

Over the last decade, the share of Americans who say they attend religious services at least once or twice a month dropped by 7 percentage points, while the share who say they attend religious services less often — if at all — rose by the same degree.

Empty Tomb, a Christian organization based in Champaign, Illinois, that researches religious giving, says the decline is longstanding. According to its research, Americans gave about 3% of their disposable income to churches in 1968, and less than 2.2% in 2016.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/decline-o ... oll-finds/
The number of Americans who call themselves Christian declined from 77% ten years ago to 65% in 2019. What is worse (or better), the absolute number of Christians declined. In 2019, the country had thirteen million fewer Christians at one hundred sixty-six million.

Protestants have nine million fewer members, two million less born-again’s, and seven million less non-born-again’s. Catholics are down by two million. Mormons were up slightly, but their % remained the same at 2%.

People who identified themselves as atheists, agnostics, or “nothing in particular” increased by twenty-seven million to sixty-seven million people. Today, 17% of Americans say they never attend religious services up from 11% a decade ago.
The data also shows a wide gap between older Americans and Millennials in their levels of religious affiliation and attendance. People born between 1928 and 1945 describe themselves as Christians 84% of the time. Baby Boomers only 76% of the time. In stark contrast, only 49% of Millenials describe themselves as Christian. Four-in-ten Millenials described themselves as “nones,” and one-in-ten identified with non-Christian faith.
http://churchandstate.org.uk/2020/06/u- ... apid-pace/
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Re: Why is Christianity declining in the US and other advanced / technological / educated nations?

Post #61

Post by brunumb »

Quantrill wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:19 pm So, the believers, Christians, have the Spirit of God and the Word of God to determine and measure.
:? Yes, but how do they go about doing it? Do they sit around talking to Holy Spirit, asking it what the measurements are or what is happening? Do they get answers, information, instructions or whatever? Or do they just make stuff up and attribute it to Holy Spirit?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Why is Christianity declining in the US and other advanced / technological / educated nations?

Post #62

Post by Zzyzx »

I have opened a thread to encourage Christians to expound upon the 'gifts' that they receive from the 'spirit'

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37525
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #63

Post by Quantrill »

brunumb wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:24 pm
Quantrill wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:19 pm So, the believers, Christians, have the Spirit of God and the Word of God to determine and measure.
:? Yes, but how do they go about doing it? Do they sit around talking to Holy Spirit, asking it what the measurements are or what is happening? Do they get answers, information, instructions or whatever? Or do they just make stuff up and attribute it to Holy Spirit?
Of course we talk about God and the Holy Spirit. Our fellowship with each other is based upon our fellowship with God. We each contribute to the Body, to the fellowship, through our individual gifts and relationship with God.

Indeed there are those that make stuff up and who are not of the Spirit of God. But they are usually found out pretty easily as the Spirit of God will reveal it to His people. And, all is based and checked by the Holy Scriptures.

The Church is a supernatural body. It began by the Holy Spirit and is led by the Holy Spirit. We have been given the Scriptures and the Spirit to learn of God and fellowship with God. We have been given prayer to communicate and fellowship with God.

Quantrill

woodtick
Student

Post #64

Post by woodtick »

T
Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #65

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #1]

In response to the title of the OP, could it be that Science now, has become an idol? People thinking they know it all and don't need God? Just a thought.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #66

Post by Elijah John »

woodtick wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:52 pm Television, the internet, and social media, etc. has destroyed Christianity's growth because the Benny Hinn's, Ken Copeland's, Joyce Meyer's, John Hagee's, etc., etc., have exposed Christianity's hypocrisy.
Do the people you mention represent the vast diversity of belief and practice that is Christianity? I doubt it. Also, what hypocrisy do you attribute to Christianity? Seems you are making an unfair generalization, what we on this site call a "blanket statement".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Miles
Savant

Post #67

Post by Miles »

Elijah John wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:14 pm [Replying to Zzyzx in post #1]

In response to the title of the OP, could it be that Science now, has become an idol? People thinking they know it all and don't need God? Just a thought.
No. I don't see any idolization of science at all. More trust for sure, which is something it's won over from Christianity, a religion that's losing its relevancy and purpose. People simply have less use for Christianity. It's far more satisfying to engage in the material aspects of life than having to cherry pick Christianity in order to make its assertions work. With better educated people today the mythos and demands of Christianity are harder to defend and sell. And with the secular aspects of our lives being far more rewarding and timely I believe it was inevitable this would happen. Christianity is geared more for the unquestioning masses. Masses, who through better and broader education, and seeing the fruits of its worth before them, now find Christianity an antiquated coping instrument for the fears it barters in.

In truth, the god of Abraham has become less and less useful, and is even coming to be seen as an unscrupulous, so called, "benefactor." IMO.

Icey
Student

Post #68

Post by Icey »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #1]

People are curious.
They need questions answered.
What better way than to created something 'perfect' that's not capable of being understood and attribute these questions (and assumed answers) to this thing?
As we learn about the real way things work, we need this thing less and less.

tokutter
Site Supporter

Post #69

Post by tokutter »

[Replying to Elijah John in post #66]

WHAT HYPOCRISY...…………….SERIOUSLY...………….DONALD J TRUMP

elijahpne
Student

Post #70

Post by elijahpne »

"... Christianity declining in the US and other advanced / technological /educated nations (particularly among younger generations)."
Calling the U.S. a Christian nation is a bit of a stretch.

A Christian is known not confessing as such - what one's lips says one is - but where one's heart is. Jesus said so as much in Matthew 15:8,9 NIV:

8 “ ‘These people honor me with their lips but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.’ ”

Of course, Jesus was referring to Jews of his time, not to Christians for Christianity was in its formative period then. But Judaism was God's religion at that time (John 4:22) and, therefore, his words would apply to Christianity, the successor religion, in foresight.

Many doctrines of the so-called modern Christian church nowadays are not even taught in the original Christian Apostolic church. However, that is beyond the scope of this post.

The decline couldn't come soon enough. It will continue until counterfeit Christianity is finally eliminated, not only from statistics, but, as Biblical prophecies indicate, from the face of the earth - after which, everyone living would gather together in Christ. "Wherever the body is, there the eagles will be gathered together." - Luke 17:37 New KJV

In Jesus' illustration of the wheat and the weeds (Matthew 13:24-30), weed Christians were planted in amongst the wheat Christians. They were allowed to grow together - possibly because even the weed Christians may exhibit Christian-like characteristics to some extent - until the time of the harvest at the conclusion of this system of things when the weeds make themselves known beyond any doubt, are separated and then burned at the furnace.

True Christians have never been in the majority - no, not in Jesus time, no, nor ever (Matthew 7:13,14). Not by a long shot. True Christianity will never constitute a significant percentage of the U. S. population nor any country's population, for that matter - not in this system of things.

Self-confessed Christians will eventually get tired of their hypocrisy and dropped out completely - that's the statistic registered in the Pew survey - for it is not easy to be a Christian. The Christian road is the road less traveled in the two roads mentioned by Jesus at Matthew 7:13,14 mentioned above for it is not easy to do God's will for true Christians will be persecuted by and large.

True Christians are known by doing God's will - however challenging it may be to do. Jesus said:

Matthew 7:21-23 NIV: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven . Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The fact that those self-identified Christians have fallen by the wayside is added proof that they are not true Christians anyway and they should have never been counted as Christians in the first place.

When finally the separation is over, then Judgment Day will begin in earnest - or has it already began?

........................................................................................

Isaiah 65:22 For like the days of a tree will the days of my people be