Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Gifts from the 'Holy Spirit'?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Gifts from the 'Holy Spirit'?

It is not uncommon in these threads for Christians to claim they receive (something) from a supernatural 'spirit' (supposedly a part of 'god').
The Church functions by the Holy Spirit in the individual lives of believers. Every believer has been given gifts from the Holy Spirit. It is through these gifts that the Church functions. See (1 Cor. 12-14) (Rom. 12:1-16) and (Eph. 4:4-16).

So, the believers, Christians, have the Spirit of God and the Word of God to determine and measure.
What 'gifts', exactly, have Christians received from the 'spirit'?

Christians seem to be about average in personal characteristics and abilities. If they have been 'helped' or 'benefited' in some way, what were / are they without the 'gifts' – a basket case?

If someone gets help to come up to average, they must have been well below average to start with.

It appears as though many Muslims are more committed to their religion, their rituals, their 'god' than Christians. Does this indicate that the 'holy spirit' gives Muslims more 'gifts' than Christians?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Re: Gifts from the 'Holy Spirit'?

Post #2

Post by Quantrill »

@Zzyzx

Apparently you didn't read the verses in the quote of mine you gave. They are listed there.

Quantrill

Clownboat
Savant

Post #3

Post by Clownboat »

Zzyzx wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:25 pm Gifts from the 'Holy Spirit'?

It is not uncommon in these threads for Christians to claim they receive (something) from a supernatural 'spirit' (supposedly a part of 'god').
The Church functions by the Holy Spirit in the individual lives of believers. Every believer has been given gifts from the Holy Spirit. It is through these gifts that the Church functions. See (1 Cor. 12-14) (Rom. 12:1-16) and (Eph. 4:4-16).

So, the believers, Christians, have the Spirit of God and the Word of God to determine and measure.

Christians seem to be about average in personal characteristics and abilities. If they have been 'helped' or 'benefited' in some way, what were / are they without the 'gifts' – a basket case?

If someone gets help to come up to average, they must have been well below average to start with.

It appears as though many Muslims are more committed to their religion, their rituals, their 'god' than Christians. Does this indicate that the 'holy spirit' gives Muslims more 'gifts' than Christians?
Christians seem just as human as the next person.
As a former Christian, there was no Holy Spirit imparting any actual gifts and nothing lost when I was finally set free from my beliefs.

It's just a religious platitude from my experience. When left unchallenged, it allows one group of humans to feel unjustifiably superior to another. Being in a perceived 'in-group' is a good feeling.

This one, for me anyways, was right up there with "I'm in a relationship with Jesus".
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

First of all, Bible tells Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth, it leads to truth. To me, that is one of the greatest gifts of the spirit.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13

I think Holy Spirit has led me to the truth. And I thank God for that. Other gifts are wisdom, knowledge, ability to heal and do miracles, prophecy, speaking foreign languages.

For to one is given through the Spirit the word of wisdom, and to another the word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; to another faith, by the same Spirit; and to another gifts of healings, by the same Spirit; and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of languages; and to another the interpretation of languages.
1 Cor. 12:8-10

Follow after love, and earnestly desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in another language speaks not to men, but to God; for no one understands; but in the Spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks to men for their edification, exhortation, and consolation. He who speaks in another language edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the assembly. Now I desire to have you all speak with other languages, but rather that you would prophesy. For he is greater who prophesies than he who speaks with other languages, unless he interprets, that the assembly may be built up.
1 Cor. 14:1-5

I believe disciples of Jesus (“Christians”) have received all of those.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #5

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:54 pm
First of all, Bible tells Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth, it leads to truth. To me, that is one of the greatest gifts of the spirit.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13

I think Holy Spirit has led me to the truth. And I thank God for that. Other gifts are wisdom, knowledge, ability to heal and do miracles, prophecy, speaking foreign languages.

For to one is given through the Spirit the word of wisdom, and to another the word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; to another faith, by the same Spirit; and to another gifts of healings, by the same Spirit; and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of languages; and to another the interpretation of languages.
1 Cor. 12:8-10

Follow after love, and earnestly desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in another language speaks not to men, but to God; for no one understands; but in the Spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks to men for their edification, exhortation, and consolation. He who speaks in another language edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the assembly. Now I desire to have you all speak with other languages, but rather that you would prophesy. For he is greater who prophesies than he who speaks with other languages, unless he interprets, that the assembly may be built up.
1 Cor. 14:1-5

I believe disciples of Jesus (“Christians”) have received all of those.
As a former disciple of Christ, I can confirm that none of what 1213 thinks may be received is actually received. For that matter, even once you are set free from your beliefs (first hand experience), no special abilities are lost.

Obviously, if certain segments of people were imparted wisdom or knowledge, or they could heal, do miracles, tell the future and speak foreign languages, such a thing would be known to the rest of the world and not just one poster on a random internet debate site.

Who would believe such garbage?
I still can speak in tongues by the way.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Quantrill »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:48 am
Christians seem just as human as the next person.
As a former Christian, there was no Holy Spirit imparting any actual gifts and nothing lost when I was finally set free from my beliefs.

It's just a religious platitude from my experience. When left unchallenged, it allows one group of humans to feel unjustifiably superior to another. Being in a perceived 'in-group' is a good feeling.

This one, for me anyways, was right up there with "I'm in a relationship with Jesus".
Christians are just as human as the next person.

If there was no Holy Spirit, then you were never Christian.

I realize it sounds so 'authoritative' to say, 'former Christian'. But it is just more bs.

Quantrill

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Quantrill »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 pm
As a former disciple of Christ, I can confirm that none of what 1213 thinks may be received is actually received. For that matter, even once you are set free from your beliefs (first hand experience), no special abilities are lost.

Obviously, if certain segments of people were imparted wisdom or knowledge, or they could heal, do miracles, tell the future and speak foreign languages, such a thing would be known to the rest of the world and not just one poster on a random internet debate site.

Who would believe such garbage?
I still can speak in tongues by the way.
You may speak in tongues. But it is not from the Holy Spirit. So from what spirit do you get this supernatural gift?

Quantrill

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #8

Post by bluegreenearth »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #1]

I think it is an interesting and remarkable coincidence that only the Christians from one particular denomination of Christianity consistently manage to have their interpretation of the scriptures confirmed by the Holy Spirit while the remaining heretical Christians from the other denominations consistently manage to mistakenly believe the Holy Spirit has confirmed their equally plausible but ultimately incorrect interpretations. I wonder why you never hear about the Holy Spirit confirming a portion of one Christian denomination's Biblical interpretation and confirming a different portion of another Christian denomination's Biblical interpretation given the improbability of any one Christian denomination never making a mistake in at least some portion of their interpretation? I wonder how an objective and unbiased outsider could distinguish between the Christians who actually had the Holy Spirit guide them to a correct interpretation of the scriptures and the Christians who mistakenly believe the Holy Spirit has guided them to a correct interpretation? It would certainly help if the Holy Spirit could impart that knowledge to everyone and not just the Christians from one particular denomination of Christianity.

brunumb
Savant

Post #9

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to bluegreenearth in post #8]

Holy Spirit is just a synonym for Vivid Imagination.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

otseng
Savant

Post #10

Post by otseng »

Quantrill wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:40 pmBut it is just more bs.
Moderator Comment

Coded profanity is not allowed on the forum.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.