Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Gifts from the 'Holy Spirit'?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Gifts from the 'Holy Spirit'?

It is not uncommon in these threads for Christians to claim they receive (something) from a supernatural 'spirit' (supposedly a part of 'god').
The Church functions by the Holy Spirit in the individual lives of believers. Every believer has been given gifts from the Holy Spirit. It is through these gifts that the Church functions. See (1 Cor. 12-14) (Rom. 12:1-16) and (Eph. 4:4-16).

So, the believers, Christians, have the Spirit of God and the Word of God to determine and measure.
What 'gifts', exactly, have Christians received from the 'spirit'?

Christians seem to be about average in personal characteristics and abilities. If they have been 'helped' or 'benefited' in some way, what were / are they without the 'gifts' – a basket case?

If someone gets help to come up to average, they must have been well below average to start with.

It appears as though many Muslims are more committed to their religion, their rituals, their 'god' than Christians. Does this indicate that the 'holy spirit' gives Muslims more 'gifts' than Christians?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bluegreenearth
Guru

Re: Gifts from the 'Holy Spirit'?

Post #71

Post by bluegreenearth »

Quantrill wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:13 am
bluegreenearth wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 pm
That is correct and also the point.
And you can believe the one you want.

Quantrill
...or you can't withhold belief until there is sufficient evidence to justify confidence in a belief.

Deeogee
Student

Post #72

Post by Deeogee »

[Replying to Quantrill in post #69]

There were only two recorded instances where the Lord baptized GROUPS of people in the Holy Spirit.
(Acts 2 / 10)

There are no other groups being recorded being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

These two groups made up the "ALL FLESH". (Jew / Gentile)

Notice (Joel 2:28) (Acts 2:16,17)

The only recorded times we see the GIFTS being passed on to another INDIVIDUAL it is only by the laying on of the apostles hands (Acts 6:6 ; 8:18,19 ; 19:1-6)

I would say that is much more than the word REMOTELY you used.

What Made Paul An Apostle?

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVSerm ... ostle.html
You purified your souls in obeying the truth...being born again. (1Peter 1:22,23)

Deeogee
Student

Post #73

Post by Deeogee »

In Post # 66 I should have said apostles instead of the 12 apostles.

I corrected that in Post#66.
You purified your souls in obeying the truth...being born again. (1Peter 1:22,23)

Clownboat
Savant

Post #74

Post by Clownboat »

Deeogee wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am [Replying to Quantrill in post #69]

There were only two recorded instances where the Lord baptized GROUPS of people in the Holy Spirit.
(Acts 2 / 10)

There are no other groups being recorded being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

These two groups made up the "ALL FLESH". (Jew / Gentile)

Notice (Joel 2:28) (Acts 2:16,17)

The only recorded times we see the GIFTS being passed on to another INDIVIDUAL it is only by the laying on of the apostles hands (Acts 6:6 ; 8:18,19 ; 19:1-6)

I would say that is much more than the word REMOTELY you used.

What Made Paul An Apostle?

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVSerm ... ostle.html
What a great excuse for why the gods no longer intercede here on earth.
What is the difference in a god that doesn't intercede on earth and a god that doesn't exist though?

IMO, Jesus would roll over in his grave if he knew what Paul had done with his teachings.

Rom 13:12 Paul says: the night is far gone, the day is at hand.
Luke 21:8 Jesus Says: Take heed that you are not led astray, for many will come in my name saying, the time is at hand! Do not go after them.
It's almost like Jesus was warning us about Paul.

Rom 14:9 Paul says: For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
Luke 20:38 Jesus says: Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him.
Lord of the dead if you ask Paul, not Lord of the dead if you ask Jesus.

Rom 9:15-16 +18 Paul says: For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." [16] So it depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy. [18] So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.
Matt 5:7 Jesus says: Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Paul claims that God will have mercy on whom he has mercy. Jesus shares with us that the merciful will obtain mercy.

Rom 6:23 Paul says: For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal live in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Matt 19:29 Jesus says: And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.
Paul once again makes this about the death of Jesus. Jesus on the other hand alludes to a very different way to receive eternal life and does not mention human sacrifice.

This can be done all day. I don't mean to distract, just attempting to evidence my claim (many more examples can be shared).
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

koko

Post #75

Post by koko »

There are literally thousands of writings which affirm that gifts of the Holy Spirit are supposed to continue to this day. This is but one:

https://altarcda.com/are-the-gifts-of-t ... for-today/

Healing the sick and granting of blessings thru the Holy Spirit are commandments. If they do not apply to day, then the Ten Commandments and other biblical laws do not apply as well. If this was true then the entire Bible would be one gigantic absurdity. One so totally senseless that it boggles the mind that anyone could possibly believe in this mythic teaching that healings and blessings were a special dispensation restricted to the Apostolic era.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #76

Post by Quantrill »

bluegreenearth wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 am
...or you can't withhold belief until there is sufficient evidence to justify confidence in a belief.
No, belief, faith, is all important in becoming Christian. You can place your faith where you want, and I will place mine where I want.

Quantrill

koko

Post #77

Post by koko »

Deeogee wrote:,

Jn 14/15/16 is a discussion between Jesus and the apostles (alone).

Many people today make the mistake of thinking the Lord PROMISED them the HOLY SPIRIT in the same measure as the apostles.

That is wrong.

My favorite source for biblical instruction is blueletterbible.com - I believe this may well be the greatest website online. It has a wonderful article which answers Deeogee's erroneous belief re the Holy Spirit:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don ... rt_487.cfm

Don Stewart :: When Does a Person Receive the Holy Spirit?

When does a person receive the Holy Spirit into his life? The New Testament teaches that the reception of the Holy Spirit is something that takes place immediately upon believing in Christ as Savior. There is no need to wait or plead for the Holy Spirit. All those who believe in Jesus instantaneously receive the Holy Spirit. This the Scripture makes clear.
The Apostle Paul wrote to the Galatians:

Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (Galatians 3:2).

And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts (Galatians 4:6).

The Bible says that a person could not be a believer without the Holy Spirit:

But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His (Romans 8:9).

These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit (Jude 19).

Furthermore, all Christians, no matter what their spiritual condition, are said to have the Holy Spirit. The Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Corinth:

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you (1 Corinthians 3:16).

The church at Corinth had many spiritual problems, yet the Apostle Paul said every believer, those walking in the Spirit and those who were not, had received the Holy Spirit.
In addition, there is no command to seek for the Holy Spirit or to pray so He can be received. If the Holy Spirit were given apart from salvation, we would expect the Bible to give the requirements of His reception.

Gift To All Who Believe

The Holy Spirit is a gift to all who believe.

Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us (Romans 5:5).

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we may know the things that have been freely given to us by God (1 Corinthians 2:12).

Therefore, we can conclude that a person receives the Holy Spirit upon believing for the following reasons:

1. The Bible expressly says so.

2. Those without the Holy Spirit are considered unbelievers.

3. All believers are spoken to as though they have the Holy Spirit.

4. Nowhere is the believer encouraged to pray and receive the Holy Spirit.

5. The Holy Spirit is a gift, not a reward for faith or service.

Again, if this was a special dispensation available only during the Apostolic era then this is tantamount to saying the Ten Commandments are only enforceable or applicable during that period as well. As is written in Psalm 19:9, god's laws are ETERNAL, not periodic. There would just be no point in having a Redeemer, or churches, or even belief in this day and age if the New Testament taught or intended to teach any such time specific exclusivity.

Savant

Post #78

Post by 1213 »

Deeogee wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:20 pm Many people today make the mistake of thinking the Lord PROMISED them the HOLY SPIRIT in the same measure as the apostles.

That is wrong.
Jesus says in the Bible:

If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?
Luke 11:13

I think that means the promise is also for modern people. And I really don’t see why it would not be.

koko

Post #79

Post by koko »

1213 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:28 pm
Deeogee wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:20 pm Many people today make the mistake of thinking the Lord PROMISED them the HOLY SPIRIT in the same measure as the apostles.

That is wrong.
Jesus says in the Bible:

If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?
Luke 11:13

I think that means the promise is also for modern people. And I really don’t see why it would not be.

Exactly.

The Bible is the living word of god embodied through Jesus - John 1:1-14. As such, when you are reading the Bible, it is as if Jesus was speaking to you directly as he did in the Apostolic era. In New Testament times the book had not been written as of yet. This is why Jesus manifestly appeared in the flesh so that all the lessons could be made into examples that others could follow:

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Christians ... es-it-mean

Therefore, all the laws, promises, miracles, actions, that we see in the New Testament are supposed to be happening today because Jesus is the same today, tomorrow, forever.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #80

Post by bluegreenearth »

Quantrill wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:21 pmNo, belief, faith, is all important in becoming Christian. You can place your faith where you want, and I will place mine where I want.
Are you equating "faith" with "trust" or something else? If equating it to "trust," is trust not earned through a demonstration of reliability?