Pretending to know

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Pretending to know

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Many people here in debate, in churches, and elsewhere CLAIM to know about invisible, undetectable, supernatural 'gods'. They often gather together on Sunday (or Saturday or Wednesday or in between) to tell each other stories about 'gods'.

God believers evidently learn what they 'know' by reading ancient religion-promoting literature written by people of uncertain identity claiming to know about 'gods'. The 'enlightened' may also claim to have psychological 'experiences' with 'gods or spirits' (perhaps 'holy'). Based on that 'evidence' they pontificate about their favorite 'god or gods'.

Would any person of sound mind claim to know about aliens after reading stories about such things, listening to lectures by proponents, and dreaming or emoting about encountering 'aliens'?

Would any person of sound mind claim to know about gods after reading stories about such things, listening to lectures by proponents, and dreaming or emoting about encountering 'gods'?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Re: Pretending to know

Post #61

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to woodtick in post #60]

In what way can you directly associate those photographs with any god?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #62

Post by 1213 »

Icey wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:24 pm ...
A footprint with dermal ridges is more proof than God existing.
A blurry photo..that's proof than God has every provided.
Yes yes, you 'have to have faith' or 'how can you not see God in this creation?' and the like - I've heard all that craziness and it's null to me.
But I have YET to see a photo of God (blurry or otherwise) or a footprint of God.
And you don’t need faith in believing those footprints and photos?

And, human is the image of God.

brunumb
Savant

Post #63

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:08 pm And, human is the image of God.
Not so fast. You need to provide a verified image of God before you can make that claim.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

Savant

Post #64

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:08 pm And, human is the image of God.
Not so fast. You need to provide a verified image of God before you can make that claim.
Actually, it is the Bible (Gen. 1:27) that makes the claim. And what do you mean with verified image?

Tcg
Savant

Post #65

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 pm
Actually, it is the Bible (Gen. 1:27) that makes the claim.
Actually, it is you who made the claim:
1213 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:08 pm
And, human is the image of God.
The Bible may do so also, but in this subforum the Bible isn't considered authoritative in this case. To support your claim you'd need to provide evidence external to the Bible.

Tcg

Savant

Post #66

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:48 pm ... the Bible isn't considered authoritative in this case....
It is ok to me, if you think so, but I would like to know, who or what is authoritative in this case? You?

Tcg
Savant

Post #67

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:01 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:48 pm ... the Bible isn't considered authoritative in this case....
It is ok to me, if you think so, but I would like to know, who or what is authoritative in this case? You?
Actually, as I have already shown in this case you have set your self up as authoritative. You've provided no evidence to support your claim of course and therefore your claim is spurious.

In case you've forgotten in your attempt to shift the focus away from your unsupported claim, here it is:

"And, human is the image of God."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #68

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 pm
1213 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:01 am
Actually, as I have already shown in this case you have set your self up as authoritative. You've provided no evidence to support your claim of course and therefore your claim is spurious.

In case you've forgotten in your attempt to shift the focus away from your unsupported claim, here it is:

"And, human is the image of God."

Tcg
More likely, God is the image of man physically, but even emotionally IMO.
We see people claim God is angry or loving or jealous...why would anyone think such a supreme being relies on such (by comparison) frail human constructs? Why isn't a God that supposedly created EVERYTHING be jealous of anything?!?! It literally makes zero sense, unless, God is the image of humanity, not the other way around.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #69

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm ... God that supposedly created EVERYTHING be jealous of anything?!?! ....
Why do you think God is jealous and what do you think it means?

brunumb
Savant

Post #70

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:14 am
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm ... God that supposedly created EVERYTHING be jealous of anything?!?! ....
Why do you think God is jealous and what do you think it means?
You apparently did not read the post that you responded to very carefully:
We see people claim God is angry or loving or jealous...why would anyone think such a supreme being relies on such (by comparison) frail human constructs? Why isn't a God that supposedly created EVERYTHING be jealous of anything?!?! It literally makes zero sense, unless, God is the image of humanity, not the other way around.
Perhaps you can answer the question.