A more plausible Noah’s Arks

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

A more plausible Noah’s Arks

Post #1

Post by Willum »

What if Noah made many large circular arks, all over the world, instead of just one?
Building the arks would have involved traveling.
The animals on the arks Noah and family weren’t personally on were manned by enchanted apes and other capable animals or failing that, angels.
The penguins just had natural ice arks, and no worries at all.

What say you? Have I just sent logical thought back 1500 years, or what?

Willum
Savant

Re: A more plausible Noah’s Arks

Post #31

Post by Willum »

[Replying to DavidLeon in post #30]

Well okay, if it said "kopher" wood.
But it said "gopher" wood.
Unless your infallible Bible is wrong.

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

DavidLeon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:27 pm
You figure the gopher out? Do a little research? The Hebrew word for tar, pitch, is kopher. It's a cypress tree. The KJV simply transliterated the Hebrew.
I didn't say anything about gopher. Perhaps you need to do a little research into who did.

600 wasn't that old before the flood when the canopy covered the earth. Lifespan dramatically dropped afterwards.
I love this explanation. It of course doesn't account for the fact that Noah reportedly lived 350 years after the flood.

Imagine what that would do to the carbon dating.
I suppose I'll have to imagine given that you've not even included a hint as to what it would do.
The animals you refer to were for sacrifice.
Which doesn't explain why God changed the numbers at the last minute.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Difflugia »

Tcg wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 pm
Imagine what that would do to the carbon dating.
I suppose I'll have to imagine given that you've not even included a hint as to what it would do.
The source of 14C in the atmosphere comes primarily from high-energy cosmic rays hitting 14N atoms and changing protons to neutrons. A few thousand years ago, the argument goes, there was a vapor canopy thick enough to severely reduce the amount of 14C being added to the atmosphere.

All of the 14C calibration curves would be wrong in a way that scientists wouldn't notice because of their uniformitarian assumptions, therefore creationism.

Savant

Post #34

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:08 pm ...Since the historical method is only able to justify belief in claims which have an "implicit" empirical basis, how do we determine if the things and events described in the Biblical explanation that don't have an implicit empirical basis actually existed in an external reality and not just in some ancient person's imagination?
Please show first one example of claim that has an "implicit" empirical basis?

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #35

Post by bluegreenearth »

1213 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:58 pmPlease show first one example of claim that has an "implicit" empirical basis?
The following claim has an implicit empirical basis regardless of whether it was actually true or not:

"Jesus wept." - John 11:35

Willum
Savant

Post #36

Post by Willum »

This also explains why so many cultures on Earth have a flood myth.
There were not only multiple arks, but multiple "Noahs."

IF we modify the premise of the topic a bit to say;
Many circuloid arks (able to survive better).
Distributed all over the world.
Many people who built them.

This explains so many problems away.
Migration, and so on.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #37

Post by Clownboat »

Willum wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:07 am This also explains why so many cultures on Earth have a flood myth.
There were not only multiple arks, but multiple "Noahs."

IF we modify the premise of the topic a bit to say;
Many circuloid arks (able to survive better).
Distributed all over the world.
Many people who built them.

This explains so many problems away.
Migration, and so on.
Many Christians seem to prefer to forget about civilizations going on in the world and pretend that they all died off in a global flood. I must assume that most of these people don't understand the difference between fresh and saltwater fish either.

Aboriginals for example can forget their claimed heritage, I have a flood myth to protect.
Indigenous Australians have been on the land since the beginning. The earliest scientific evidence of Indigenous occupation dates back over 60,000 years.
https://ulurutoursaustralia.com.au/blog ... %20country.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb