What Is The Evidence For And Against The Existence Of God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DavidLeon
Under Probation

What Is The Evidence For And Against The Existence Of God?

Post #1

Post by DavidLeon »

What is the evidence for the nonexistence of God and is the Bible evidence of the existence of God?

God in this case refers exclusively to Jehovah as creator of the heavens and earth. A supernatural being.

Guidelines for this debate: C&A guidelines, Wikipedia: Evidence of Absence and Argument From Ignorance.
I no longer post here

brunumb
Savant

Re: What Is The Evidence For And Against The Existence Of God?

Post #11

Post by brunumb »

DavidLeon wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:08 pm If we are debating the question of evidence for and against the existence of God then the Bible provides sufficient evidence for consideration of either position.
The Bible does not provide any evidence. It is a book of claims. We need evidence that substantiates those claims but we don't have that.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by DavidLeon »

brunumb wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:46 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:08 pm If we are debating the question of evidence for and against the existence of God then the Bible provides sufficient evidence for consideration of either position.
The Bible does not provide any evidence. It is a book of claims. We need evidence that substantiates those claims but we don't have that.
Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid. In law evidence is information given personally, drawn from a document, or in the form of material objects, tending or used to establish facts in a legal investigation or admissible as testimony in court.

Why do you think it doesn't substantiate claims? Substantiate: provide evidence to support or prove the truth of. Because you believe it to be a myth?
I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by DavidLeon »

Willum wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:56 pm Well, evolution disproves original sin. A Jehovah staple.
Conservation of mass, matter and energy disproves creation.
Geology disproves a God made flood.
No record of Lazarus disproves resurrection.
The fact that the Bible is indistinguishable from other fairytales demonstrates it is not credible.

Is any more required?
No record of Lazarus? Explain please. The Bible is easily distinguishable from fairy tales. How does evolution disprove original sin, geology disprove a flood, or conservation of mass, matter and energy disprove creation.

I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #14

Post by DavidLeon »

unknown soldier wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:41 pmNormally we don't look for evidence that something doesn't exist. If something doesn't exist, then we would lack evidence for its existence--not have evidence that it doesn't exist.

Now, there may be reasons to doubt that something exists, and if we have no evidence that it does exist, then that absence of evidence may be evidence of absence. In the case of the Christian God, it seems reasonable to me that if that God existed, then we should see that praying makes a big difference over not praying, miracles are known to happen, and Christians receive revelations from that God demonstrating that they have knowledge they could not have otherwise. Of course, we have none of this evidence. Logically then, we should conclude that God doesn't exist.
Dave wrote:...and is the Bible evidence of the existence of God?
Yes, but it is very weak evidence. People could easily have made up everything in the Bible, and the reasonable conclusion is that people made up the Bible. No God is needed to explain it.
What year did Jehovah allegedly create Adam? What year was Adam's account officially recorded my Moses? From Adam's creation until the death of the apostle John what percentage of man's history as recorded in the Bible was there direct contact with Jehovah and how widespread was that contact? What is the purpose of praying to God and how is it typically abused? When did the Bible state that the events surrounding the establishment of the Christian congregation consisting of what we would describe as miracles, would cease? These are answers you should be able to give me if, like you say, there is no evidence. Can you do that? Because I can, which is why I think your logical conclusion is based upon a false premise. And why I see evidence for the existence of God and you don't.
I no longer post here

Willum
Savant

Post #15

Post by Willum »

DavidLeon wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:03 pm
Willum wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:56 pm Well, evolution disproves original sin. A Jehovah staple.
Conservation of mass, matter and energy disproves creation.
Geology disproves a God made flood.
No record of Lazarus disproves resurrection.
The fact that the Bible is indistinguishable from other fairytales demonstrates it is not credible.

Is any more required?
No record of Lazarus? Explain please. The Bible is easily distinguishable from fairy tales. How does evolution disprove original sin, geology disprove a flood, or conservation of mass, matter and energy disprove creation.
If Lazarus was resurrected by, and lived after Jesus, he, as someone who came back from death, should have been nearly as celebrated. Everyone would have wanted to know what death was like, and asked him. Scholars, kings and pundits, all would have wanted to know the experience he had. Instead... nothing.

So, except for a book of Christian fables, we have nothing.
How is the Bible indistinguishable from fairytales? Most cultures consider the flood a fairytale, for example. The “Sun standing still in the Heaven,” is also a common fairytale. Healing, magic favor granting, plagues and so on, are common fairytale themes.

How does evolution disprove original sin?
I would KINDLY ask you to think about responses. If there is evolution, then obviously there is no talking snake and magic sin-introducing fruit.

Geology has no indicators of a flood: for example metamorphic phase transitions of rock were it exposed to the colossal pressures involved in the flood biblically described.

REALLY?!! DO I NEED TO DESCRIBE EVERY EFFECT I MENTIONED?
Can you not think a bit for yourself?

Conservation laws say matter, mass and energy are not created nor are they destroyed.
So we observe what is NOW, and employing these observations, we see there is never any need for a creation.
Understand?

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

DavidLeon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:59 am What is the evidence for the nonexistence of God and is the Bible evidence of the existence of God?
At best, the Bible is evidence some people believed in one of the gods. All we know is that it is evidence that some claimed to believe in one of the gods. It's not even evidence that they actually did.

God in this case refers exclusively to Jehovah as creator of the heavens and earth. A supernatural being.
That's quite an upgrade from your earlier thread in which god could be a toilet seat. I suppose it is convenient to change claims as needed based on the point one is attempting to make. Obvious, but convenient.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by DavidLeon »

Tcg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:36 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:59 am What is the evidence for the nonexistence of God and is the Bible evidence of the existence of God?
At best, the Bible is evidence some people believed in one of the gods. All we know is that it is evidence that some claimed to believe in one of the gods. It's not even evidence that they actually did.

That's quite an upgrade from your earlier thread in which god could be a toilet seat. I suppose it is convenient to change claims as needed based on the point one is attempting to make. Obvious, but convenient.

Tcg
A god can be a toilet seat or the creator of the universe or anything in between which is why I specified which god it was. Just in case anyone with an accurate knowledge should join the debate.
I no longer post here

Willum
Savant

Post #18

Post by Willum »

[Replying to DavidLeon in post #17]
Just in case anyone with an accurate knowledge should join the debate.
REALLY?

Thus far that excludes, I suppose, Goat, Miles, "unknown soldier," brunumb, Tcg, yourself and myself.

Who, has accurate knowledge?
Jehovah?
He has been asked to create a profile, but apparently he is in a planning meeting with Santa and the Easter Bunny - important matters on non-state.

Miles
Savant

Post #19

Post by Miles »

DavidLeon wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:58 pm
Tcg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:36 pm

Tcg
A god can be a toilet seat or the creator of the universe or anything in between which is why I specified which god it was. Just in case anyone with an accurate knowledge should join the debate.
DavidLeon,

Please excuse the intrusion, but my last two replies to you using the "Reply with quote" function haven't posted in the thread. I'll delete this as soon as I can confirm the problem one way or the other.

Thanks,

Miles
Last edited by Miles on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

For me the Bible is evidence for God. I don’t think it could exist without God, because:
1. Enemies of God could have destroyed it already, if not influenced by God.
2. Has knowledge that humans would not have without God.
3. Speaks truth about humans, how evil they are.
4. Has moral teachings like “love your enemies”, which are commonly against what people themselves think or do.