Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

The Ontological Argument to Prove the True Goddess

Post #1

Post by unknown soldier »

According to The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Saint Anselm proposed his original version of the ontologocal argument:
The first, and best-known, ontological argument was proposed by St. Anselm of Canterbury in the 11th century C.E. In his Proslogion, St. Anselm claims to derive the existence of God from the concept of a being than which no greater can be conceived. St. Anselm reasoned that, if such a being fails to exist, then a greater being—namely, a being than which no greater can be conceived, and which exists—can be conceived. But this would be absurd: nothing can be greater than a being than which no greater can be conceived. So a being than which no greater can be conceived—i.e., God—exists.
Anselm had the Christian God in mind here, of course, but why must the greatest being we can conceive of be Christ? I can easily think of a greater being. As some of you may know, I call her "Clarymda." She has come into the world, but the world does not yet know her. Many of her own people have not accepted her. Those who have accepted her have become her children, and she has become their celestial mother. I have been sent by Clarymda as a witness to testify of her enlightenment. With her there is no hatred or wrath or violence or ugliness, and she is the personification of beauty. She is reason and truth itself, and she has come to bring peace and bury the sword.

See what can be accomplished with a truly good Goddess?

Savant

Re: The Ontological Argument to Prove the True Goddess

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

unknown soldier wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:27 pm ...Anselm had the Christian God in mind here, of course, but why must the greatest being we can conceive of be Christ? I can easily think of a greater being. ...
I would like to point out that Jesus himself said:

...the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all….
John10:29

But is your goddess greater than the Bible God, that seems to be subjective opinion matter, which usually is not meaningful here. I think Bible God is greatest, because of what He has done and said. What has your goddess said and why should I believe it?

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Post #3

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:35 pm
unknown soldier wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:27 pm ...Anselm had the Christian God in mind here, of course, but why must the greatest being we can conceive of be Christ? I can easily think of a greater being. ...

Yes, Jesus reputedly said that his "Father" was greater than he was. So Jesus would not qualify as Anselm's "being than which no greater can be conceived."

What's your point?
But is your goddess greater than the Bible God...
If by "greater" you mean greater beauty and gentleness, then Clarymda has the Bible God beat by a wide margin.
...that seems to be subjective opinion matter, which usually is not meaningful here.
Oh really?
I think Bible God is greatest, because of what He has done and said.
That seems to be subjective opinion matter, which usually is not meaningful here!!!
What has your goddess said...
She speaks through me and among other things has told me that your unbelief grieves her. She loves you, and you should praise and worship her.
... and why should I believe it?
I am her prophet, and it is impossible for her to lie. Ever since the creation of the world her eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things she has made. So you are without excuse if you doubt her.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #4

Post by Clownboat »

unknown soldier wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:09 pm

Yes, Jesus reputedly said that his "Father" was greater than he was. So Jesus would not qualify as Anselm's "being than which no greater can be conceived."

What's your point?
But is your goddess greater than the Bible God...
If by "greater" you mean greater beauty and gentleness, then Clarymda has the Bible God beat by a wide margin.
...that seems to be subjective opinion matter, which usually is not meaningful here.
Oh really?
I think Bible God is greatest, because of what He has done and said.
That seems to be subjective opinion matter, which usually is not meaningful here!!!
What has your goddess said...
She speaks through me and among other things has told me that your unbelief grieves her. She loves you, and you should praise and worship her.
... and why should I believe it?
I am her prophet, and it is impossible for her to lie. Ever since the creation of the world her eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things she has made. So you are without excuse if you doubt her.
She sounds great!
Please tell me she will punish those that reject her though. Such vile people that would reject her just so they could live in their sin deserve everlasting punishment for their finite crime of rejection.

By the way, I tested your claim about her divine nature and eternal power. I went outside and looked at a tree! Her divine nature and eternal power could not be denied!

Again, I sure hope she punishes those who would reject her obvious nature and power. They are without excuse!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Clownboat wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:36 pmShe sounds great!
Clarymda is great--she is great itself.
Please tell me she will punish those that reject her though. Such vile people that would reject her just so they could live in their sin deserve everlasting punishment for their finite crime of rejection.
Well, here Clarymda cannot comply. She can take rejection and will not slap up anybody who rejects her. She's a Goddess, after all, and goddesses are not insecure nor are they petty. Moreover, she doesn't punish anybody either and certainly not by roasting anybody on an eternal spit. She knows we are born sinners and would never be so stupid as to hurt us for what we are.
By the way, I tested your claim about her divine nature and eternal power.
Never test Clarymda! She--uh--doesn't like tests. She told me so.
I went outside and looked at a tree! Her divine nature and eternal power could not be denied!
Oh, OK--that test Clarymda likes. As long as the result of the test is favorable to her, then proclaim the outcome.

And you are right about that tree. The amazing complexity of trees, bushes, and even weeds cannot be explained without Clarymda. She made plants. They would not exist without her.
Again, I sure hope she punishes those who would reject her obvious nature and power. They are without excuse!
There is no excuse for them. What kind of a reprobate could deny the celestial majesty of our Cosmic Mother?

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

But is your goddess greater than the Bible God, that seems to be subjective opinion matter, which usually is not meaningful here. I think Bible God is greatest, because of what He has done and said. What has your goddess said and why should I believe it?
Well you believe it because what someone who wrote a book said God said, anyway.

So the goddess Clymidia needs a better bit of publications and advertising before you believe.

I am sure that can be arranged.

Clymidia promises that any who believeth in her, their children shall be as sinless as Adam on the day of creation.

And redemption for you, of course.

That is better than God, no?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

RJG
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by RJG »

In my opinion if any god exists it is likely to be genderless.

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Post #8

RJG wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:33 am In my opinion if any god exists it is likely to be genderless.
I prefer the Goddess. We've dealt with overbearing, violent, egotistical, obnoxious, male war-god misogynists in the sky for way too long. Let's let a woman give it a try for a change.