A question to former Christians.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Realworldjack
Guru

A question to former Christians.

Post #1

Post by Realworldjack »

I would simply like to ask any former Christians, (especially those who may have truly embraced Christianity) what was it that caused you to believe Christianity to be true?

Miles
Savant

Re: A question to former Christians.

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Gullibility.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #3

Post by Clownboat »

Realworldjack wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 am I would simply like to ask any former Christians, (especially those who may have truly embraced Christianity) what was it that caused you to believe Christianity to be true?
I was a child and didn't know any better. What my mother told me was true, was true to me, no questions asked. I believe this is fairly common behavior for young children. It also explains religion by geography that we see on this planet.

As I got older, I developed the ability to question claims and I read the Bible from cover to cover on my own. That is how I was eventually able to be set free from my beliefs.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #4

Post by Realworldjack »

Miles wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:29 pm .

Gullibility.

Would this be to say that you are under the impression for one to be a Christian they must be "gullible" in the same way you were?

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #5

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #3]
It also explains religion by geography that we see on this planet.
Exactly what does "religion by geography" demonstrate in your mind?
As I got older, I developed the ability to question claims and I read the Bible from cover to cover on my own.
Can you please reveal to us how far into life you carried your belief?

DianaParr

Post #6

Post by DianaParr »

Faith

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #7

Post by Realworldjack »

DianaParr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:07 pmFaith
Belief, and faith are very close to the same thing. So then, what was it that caused you to have this "faith" in Christianity?

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Realworldjack wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:00 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:29 pm .

Gullibility.

Would this be to say that you are under the impression for one to be a Christian they must be "gullible" in the same way you were?
Not at all. Some believe because of the comfort it brings them, and don't give it a second thought. Some believe because it's the way they were brought up, to unquestioningly believe whatever they're told, and not give it a second thought. Some are Christians because it's simply the prudent thing to do in their community.

Without a doubt the nail that sealed the coffin on Christianity for me was,

.......................................................................................

A cogent and compelling eye opener.

Last edited by Miles on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #9

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to Miles in post #8]
Some believe because of the comfort it brings them, and don't give it a second thought. Some believe because it's the way they were brought up, to unquestioningly believe whatever they're told, and not give it a second thought.
How in the world would these two things not be "gullible"?
Some are Christians because it's simply the prudent thing to do in their community.
Not sure what category this would fall under? I mean if they really did not believe Christianity but acted as if they did because it was the prudent thing to do, it seems it would at the very least be deceitful.

.......................................................................................Image

Great! But the question is not what lead you away from Christianity, but rather what caused you to embrace Christianity to begin with? The next question I would like to ask is, if you do not believe that Christians have to be gullible in the same way you were, do you believe that a Christian could use their mind and become convinced by the facts, and evidence that Christianity is true?

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

Realworldjack wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:22 pm [Replying to Miles in post #8]
Some believe because of the comfort it brings them, and don't give it a second thought. Some believe because it's the way they were brought up, to unquestioningly believe whatever they're told, and not give it a second thought.
How in the world would these two things not be "gullible"?
Because they weren't taken in by the supposed soundness of the Christian message itself, but by what their belief did for them, or by their trust in whomever told them to believe.

Realworldjack wrote:
Some are Christians because it's simply the prudent thing to do in their community.
Not sure what category this would fall under? I mean if they really did not believe Christianity but acted as if they did because it was the prudent thing to do, it seems it would at the very least be deceitful.
Pretty much so I'd say. Probably classify it as a white lie. Image

Realworldjack wrote:

.......................................................................................Image

Great! But the question is not what lead you away from Christianity, but rather what caused you to embrace Christianity to begin with?
To begin with? Mom brought me to Sunday school each week.

Realworldjack wrote: The next question I would like to ask is, if you do not believe that Christians have to be gullible in the same way you were, do you believe that a Christian could use their mind and become convinced by the facts, and evidence that Christianity is true?
By what they perceived to be facts and good evidence? Absolutely!