What is special about Jesus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

What is special about Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

If we can agree that bulls and lambs are insufficient propitiations for our sins then what makes Jesus a sufficient propitiation?

Especially if you think Jesus is a created being then what makes one created being sufficient and another insufficient?

If he is a human then how did he pull it off to not sin for 33 years? Was Jesus created perfect?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Miles
Savant

Re: What is special about Jesus?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:18 am If we can agree that bulls and lambs are insufficient propitiations for our sins then what makes Jesus a sufficient propitiation?
God's declaration I suppose. Isn't it said that he sent his son to die for our sins?
Wootah wrote: Especially if you think Jesus is a created being then what makes one created being sufficient and another insufficient?
God's fiat? His choice: his decision?

Wootah wrote: If he is a human then how did he pull it off to not sin for 33 years?
Logic

Anyone sent by god to die for our sins wouldn't sin
Jesus was sent by god to die for our sins

Wootah wrote: Was Jesus created perfect?
Hardly, at least according to the Bible. He made the mistake of claiming "the kingdom of heaven is at hand," which, of course, we know it wasn't.

brunumb
Savant

Post #3

Post by brunumb »

Miles wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:53 am Isn't it said that he sent his son to die for our sins?
That always sounded like a post hoc rationalisation to me. Getting yourself executed as a criminal doesn't seem like any sacrifice to a god that I've heard about. It all seems more like an accident than the planned event it should be if God sent his son to dies for our sins. Such a clumsy affair, unbefitting an omnipotent being capable of creating an entire complex universe.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #4

Post by jimtatertayte »

Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:18 am What is special about Jesus?
He is the Light of Life.
God is the Life and Jesus is the Light.

Jesus is the Light of God.

The Light of Life is the Son of God.

And He loved God more than any being
in all of God's creation and never experiencing any pain
or trauma of the flesh or humility or sin all His days before He was crucified,
willfully and knowingly even long before the appointed time of His death,
gave up his life to be crucified upon the cross naked beaten to an inch of His life,
beyond recognition, humiliated and mocked by them to whom owed Him everything
without crying out as a lamb led to the slaughter. And then on top of that all the
while hanging upon the cross He was worried about His mother and brethren to their own
welfare instead of His own. And I say and...drawing His last breath after hanging on the cross for no less than six hours people walking by and staring at Him naked and tempting Him to quit and come down off the cross and give
up all that the almighty God of heaven and earth had put upon His shoulders for the good of them
that are born of God. And I say and...if that was not enough,
He refused to drink the vinegar they tried to give Him
and suffered it instead as He gave up the Ghost.

Jesus was by far the greatest man that had ever or will ever walk upon the face of the earth.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]

It seems rather unjust to declare one man perfect to me? Doesn't it to you?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

brunumb wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:58 am
Miles wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:53 am Isn't it said that he sent his son to die for our sins?
That always sounded like a post hoc rationalisation to me. Getting yourself executed as a criminal doesn't seem like any sacrifice to a god that I've heard about. It all seems more like an accident than the planned event it should be if God sent his son to dies for our sins. Such a clumsy affair, unbefitting an omnipotent being capable of creating an entire complex universe.
Glad to know you know what befits an omnipotent being (that kinda makes you omniscient actually!).

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to jimtatertayte in post #4]

I find that hard to follow. Are you arguing Jesus is a special creature?

Helen1967

Post #8

Post by Helen1967 »

So let's get this straight... Jesus is a human being, creature or God? I'm confused :shock:

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #9

Post by jimtatertayte »

Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:16 am [Replying to jimtatertayte in post #4]

I find that hard to follow. Are you arguing Jesus is a special creature?
Did I say Jesus was a special creature?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:18 am If we can agree that bulls and lambs are insufficient propitiations for our sins then what makes Jesus a sufficient propitiation?

His superiority. The value if a human is more than that of any number of animals. Being a perfect human Jesus sacrifice was more valuable to God than any animal. God deemed it sufficient to cover for our sins.
Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:18 am Especially if you think Jesus is a created being then what makes one created being sufficient and another insufficient?
God decides on a things intrinsic value. Everything he makes is good and perfect if it stays true to its purpose, but everything was created "according to its kind". Both Adam and Jesus were a "kind" (mankind) and mankind was the crowning glory of the physical creation. Superior to animals in that only humans are described as being made in His (Gods) image.

Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:18 am
If he is a human then how did he pull it off to not sin for 33 years? Was Jesus created perfect?
Jesus isn't human now but he was. How did he manage to live without committing a sin? His complete LOVE for God, his personal integrity and his unwavering love of goodness and truth.

Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:18 am Was Jesus created perfect?
Yes, Jesus was created by JEHOVAH God and everything Jehovah does is perfect.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8