Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Christianity and Hatred for People

Post #1

Post by unknown soldier »

Is there a relationship between Christianity and hatred for people? I've read that early on the critics of Christianity accused it of being hatred for humanity. Most apologists would strongly deny such a charge. They tell us that Christ taught love and that all those who would hate in his name are acting against his teachings. To begin to resolve this disagreement, let's take a look at what two "locals" have to say.
1213 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pmBy what the Bible tells, God has decided to give eternal life for righteous and others will die.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but therighteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift ofGod is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

I think that is good, because if unrighteous people would live forever, they would turn the eternal life into eternal suffering for all, which I think would not be nice.

I don’t think death is evil.
EarthScienceguy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:23 amI am sure that those that look at these societies that God destroyed and know they are doing the things that God destroyed these societies do look at these acts in fear, and dread. If they do not look at these societies that God destroyed with fear and dread then the next best thing is blame and denial...

...God knows the future. God knew the eternal destiny of all of those that He put to death before He sentenced them to eternal separation from His goodness. That is what dying without belief in Jesus or in this case God is eternal separation from the goodness of God.
When I read comments like these I tend to feel threatened and degraded. Am I such a worthless wretch that my life can be snuffed out any time at the Christian God's whim, and Christians would just shrug their shoulders saying I got what I deserved? Can my entire community be destroyed if some "guy in the sky" judges it to be disobedient to him?

In any event, I sure don't feel loved.

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Re: Christianity and Hatred for People

Post #91

nobspeople wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:38 pm [Replying to unknown soldier in post #87]
Do you seriously want Christians to be like Christ? If they were like him, then they would hate Jews because Jews don't believe the Gospel; they would have reputations for being drunkards; they would disrespect their families and break up other families; they would preach the barbaric Mosaic Law that mandated killing insubordinate children; and a host of other evils too numerous to mention.

I think your opinion is one that's not shared with most people, Christian or not. And that's fine, of course.
Another thing we might say about most people is that they are completely ignorant of the dark side of the Gospel story. The New Testament is full of material that is potentially dangerous. We read of a Christ preaching a violent and wrathful God who is determined to take revenge on most of humanity. We are commanded to love this God whether we feel inclined to love him or not. We are also told that other people may be in league with forces of darkness, and they are to be treated accordingly. Natural sexual urges and a desire to live with the families you love are to be repressed.

Do I really need to explain further why the Christ of Christianity is no paragon of virtue?
I don't ever remember anywhere in the bible Jesus saying he hates Jews, Jesus being drunk, disrespecting families, etc. (if that's what you're saying). But again, if that's the Jesus you see, then no, I can see why you would disagree.
You are evidently not able to understand implications. Are you seriously saying that Jesus needed to say he hated Jews for you to recognize that his rhetoric could inflame violence against them? He also treated his own family with contempt and encouraged his followers to hate their families.
I fear it as a threat to myself and society.

I can see where you're coming from there!
Hundreds of millions of people in America alone are Christians. Their beliefs act as stumbling blocks to their gaining vital education, and they are rejecting major scientific theories. That alone should serve as a wake-up call.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #92

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:51 pm
unknown soldier wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:46 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:59 pm
What evidence do you have that Jesus hated Jews?
Why do you ask for evidence ...?
Because we are on a debate forum. Asking for evidence is the usual way one challenges the content of a post.
unknown soldier wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:46 pm The New Testament ...portrays Jews as comic-book style villains out to murder the innocent Jesus (and Paul and many others)

I did not ask you about "The New Testament" portrayal of Jews, I asked you " What evidence do you have that Jesus hated Jews? "

unknown soldier wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:46 pm Jesus is quoted as saying the Jews have the Devil as their father.

No that is untrue. Jesus said "YOU are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father." (John 8:44) He did not say "The Jews". As for who he was talking to, the account explicitly states he was speaking to.... "The Pharisees" that were seeing to kill him.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #93

Post by JehovahsWitness »

unknown soldier wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:43 pm He also treated his own family with contempt ...
Do you have a reference for this ?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #94

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to unknown soldier in post #91]
Another thing we might say about most people is that they are completely ignorant of the dark side of the Gospel story.
Very true.
Do I really need to explain further why the Christ of Christianity is no paragon of virtue?
If you want please do!
You are evidently not able to understand implications.
Not true. But with the bible, I never took much of it as, well, ironically enough, gospel. To me it was just a story. And I'm fully aware there are other views of it than my own. And I'm OK with that!
Are you seriously saying that Jesus needed to say he hated Jews for you to recognize that his rhetoric could inflame violence against them?
I think it depends on why you read it to begin with. You can find most anything you search for in the bible. People use it to prove aliens do (or don't) exists, same with ghosts; use it to prove humans walked with dinosaurs, etc.
Hundreds of millions of people in America alone are Christians. Their beliefs act as stumbling blocks to their gaining vital education, and they are rejecting major scientific theories. That alone should serve as a wake-up call.
110% agreed!!
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #95

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #92]
Because we are on a debate forum.
Yes. And debates also include opinion. This is a debate forum, not a scientific journal. It will serve you well to understand this.
Using the bible as fact is using opinion. Opinion of the writer of the book in question and opinion of the ones who edited it. The bible is not a factual book in total. You can believe it's factual which is fine - many people do. But until you can provide the proof you so demand of others....well...it seems quite hypocritical to say the least. Disingenuous as well.
Not a personal attack - simply an observation.
Happy Monday
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Post #96

unknown soldier wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:46 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:59 pm
Why do you ask for evidence ...?
Because we are on a debate forum. Asking for evidence is the usual way one challenges the content of a post.
It's not kosher to ask for evidence that you will not or cannot accept. It's my personal policy to avoid posting links to evidence that is commonly known and/or easily found.
Since you cannot accept that Jesus hated Jews, it will do me no good to offer that evidence to you.
Jesus is quoted as saying the Jews have the Devil as their father.
No that is untrue. Jesus said "YOU are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father." (John 8:44)
LOL--see what I mean? The "you" in that quotation is referring to Jews, yet you deny it.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:18 pm
unknown soldier wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:43 pm He also treated his own family with contempt ...
Do you have a reference for this ?
I've read it in the Bible.

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Post #97

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:41 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #92]
Because we are on a debate forum.
Yes. And debates also include opinion. This is a debate forum, not a scientific journal. It will serve you well to understand this.
Using the bible as fact is using opinion. Opinion of the writer of the book in question and opinion of the ones who edited it. The bible is not a factual book in total. You can believe it's factual which is fine - many people do. But until you can provide the proof you so demand of others....well...it seems quite hypocritical to say the least. Disingenuous as well.
Not a personal attack - simply an observation.
Happy Monday
The last thing apologists want is evidence that their cherished beliefs are untrue. When apologists demand evidence, they have no intention to ever accept it. They're just being difficult and will deny, ignore, or explain away anything you present to them that does not support their predispositions. Evidence becomes irrelevant when salvation is on the line.

Anyway, you made a good point. The apologists rarely if ever offer evidence for their beliefs. If you don't believe me, then just ask an apologist for evidence that they can prophesy or heal. All you'll get is a lot of smoke blown in your face.

tam
Savant

Post #98

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to unknown soldier in post #87]

Do you seriously want Christians to be like Christ? If they were like him, then they would hate Jews because Jews don't believe the Gospel;

Christ does not hate Jews.

He was Himself a Jew; His apostles (whom He loved) were Jews; most of His earliest disciples were Jews (and also Samaritans). He prayed for them (including those who wronged Him, persecuted Him, even had Him killed); He wept over them; He rebuked them (if needed, and 'those I love I rebuke and discipline); He even gave His life for them. He did not call for eye for eye upon those who had Him killed; He called for forgiveness for them. He also went FIRST to the Jews (then also Samaritans, since Samaritans are also Israel).

All of these things come from love.

And I will repeat my earlier statement in this thread: Christianity is not Christ. Just because "Christianity" (the religion) does something or teaches something, this does not mean that it was inspired or taught by Christ. Some (many) listen to a religion more than (even instead of) Christ.

they would have reputations for being drunkards;

Just because one drinks alcohol does not mean that one is a drunkard. And even if one does get drunk, are you for some reason judging them for it?
hey would disrespect their families and break up other families;

You say this because Christ did not allow his mother/brothers to 'take him in hand' and stop Him from continuing to do the work that He had been sent to do? Because He did not put their request to see Him, before the needs of the people He was serving?

they would preach the barbaric Mosaic Law that mandated killing insubordinate children;

You don't remember these words from Christ then:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Or,

"Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy, not sacrifice."

and a host of other evils too numerous to mention.
Or perhaps too imaginary to mention.

Christ harmed no one. He also healed the servant whom Peter harmed, and rebuked Peter for his action; Christ also rebuked His disciples when they asked Him if He wanted them to call down fire from heaven upon some people who would not welcome Him. He commanded His disciples to turn the other cheek, to pray for those who mistreat us, to bless those who curse us, to forgive those who wrong us, to be merciful, and to love even our enemies.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #99

Post by Difflugia »

unknown soldier wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:19 pmThe last thing apologists want is evidence that their cherished beliefs are untrue. When apologists demand evidence, they have no intention to ever accept it. They're just being difficult and will deny, ignore, or explain away anything you present to them that does not support their predispositions. Evidence becomes irrelevant when salvation is on the line.

Anyway, you made a good point. The apologists rarely if ever offer evidence for their beliefs. If you don't believe me, then just ask an apologist for evidence that they can prophesy or heal. All you'll get is a lot of smoke blown in your face.
Part of the problem is that most apologetics rhetoric assumes that one is justified in believing Christian dogma unless an opponent actively proves that it's untrue. This gets Christians with apologetics experience in the habit of asking for evidence supporting negative assertions without feeling the need to provide any in support of their own positive ones. The debates are often presented (or at least perceived) as defending Christianity against an attempted disproof. If an opponent cannot prove Christian dogma false, the Christian has prevailed and is justified in believing it, even absent any positive evidence supporting its truth.

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Post #100

tam wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:38 pm Peace to you,
Hi Tam! I see you're back to make war on my views once again.
Do you seriously want Christians to be like Christ? If they were like him, then they would hate Jews because Jews don't believe the Gospel;
Christ does not hate Jews.
I wouldn't feel too loved if I was falsely accused of murdering people, was called a fool, and was told that my father was the Devil like Christ told the Jews.
He was Himself a Jew;
Only on his mother's side of the family.
His apostles (whom He loved) were Jews; most of His earliest disciples were Jews (and also Samaritans).
I wouldn't feel too loved by anybody who knowingly led me into life-threatening situations. That's the kind of love I don't need!
He even gave His life for them.
You could just as easily say that David Koresh gave his life for his followers. Both Christ and Koresh were religious leaders that not only died at the hands of the authorities but led many of their followers to die the same tragic way. Dying a violent death is not necessarily "for" anybody. In most instances it's just a violent death. I think it's a perversion of the very idea of love to say that dying for somebody means you love them. I must wonder how many men and women have died for their spouses and at the hands of their spouses because they loved their spouses.
He did not call for eye for eye upon those who had Him killed; He called for forgiveness for them. He also went FIRST to the Jews (then also Samaritans, since Samaritans are also Israel).
Tam, you know that's not true. According to the Christ myth, Christ is to destroy and damn all those who refuse to worship him.
And I will repeat my earlier statement in this thread: Christianity is not Christ. Just because "Christianity" (the religion) does something or teaches something, this does not mean that it was inspired or taught by Christ. Some (many) listen to a religion more than (even instead of) Christ.
Why should anybody believe you were inspired or taught by Christ? I see no more evidence from you than from Christianity.
Just because one drinks alcohol does not mean that one is a drunkard. And even if one does get drunk, are you for some reason judging them for it?
In Matthew 11:19 Christ gripes of his being accused of being a drunkard. He does not deny the charge. And yes, I do indeed judge those who get drunk. I judge them as being drunkards. I'm not saying they are bad people but only that they need help. So Christ was a messed up guy whom I would be very foolish to emulate.
You say this because Christ did not allow his mother/brothers to 'take him in hand' and stop Him from continuing to do the work that He had been sent to do? Because He did not put their request to see Him, before the needs of the people He was serving?
I don't know about that, but Christ did treat his family with contempt and in particular his mother. If there's any truth to Christ's story, it appears that Christ had a very poor relationship with his mother. I think that if he did, then that would explain his poor attitude toward women and sex.
they would preach the barbaric Mosaic Law that mandated killing insubordinate children;
You don't remember these words from Christ then:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Or,

"Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy, not sacrifice."
Sure, Tam, much of what we are told about Christ's indoctrination of his followers is inconsistent. It appears that his story is a story of a man who thought it was more important to make a rhetorical impact on people than to get his dogma straight.
Or perhaps too imaginary to mention.
I'm not making anything up. Everything I post in this forum about Christian doctrine is based on my reading and studying the Bible and reading and listening to the works of Christians.

And if I claimed I had face-to-face talks with Christ, I'd be very slow to accuse others of imagining things!
Christ harmed no one. He also healed the servant whom Peter harmed, and rebuked Peter for his action; Christ also rebuked His disciples when they asked Him if He wanted them to call down fire from heaven upon some people who would not welcome Him. He commanded His disciples to turn the other cheek, to pray for those who mistreat us, to bless those who curse us, to forgive those who wrong us, to be merciful, and to love even our enemies.
And as anybody who has read the New Testament knows, Christ casts most of humanity into a lake of fire.

Sweet Jesus!

Last edited by unknown soldier on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.