Apologist explains how to get prayer answered.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Apologist explains how to get prayer answered.

Post #1

Post by unknown soldier »

If there's one issue that keeps apologists busy, it's the issue of unanswered prayer. Skeptics often point out that the hungry children who pray for food often die of starvation. If God exists, then why don't we see better results from prayer? Christian apologist Kyle Butt answers this question on pages 229-244 of A Christian's Guide to Refuting Modern Atheism. He explains that effective prayer must conform to the following:

1. Prayer must be "in the name of Jesus." That is, prayer must be in accord with Jesus' teachings and authority.
2. It is necessary for prayer to be in accord with God's will. God has a way of doing things that no prayer can change.
3. The person praying must believe she will receive what she requests. Otherwise, she won't receive what she requests!
4. The person praying must be a righteous person. So all you sinners, forget it!
5. Prayer won't work if the petitioner prays with selfish desires.
6. Persistence in prayer is important. One or two prayers might not be enough.

I'm eager to read what other members here have to say about these guidelines, but allow me to start out saying that if 1 is true, then anybody who is not a Christian won't benefit from prayer. I wonder if those non-Christians see that their prayers aren't doing any good.

Guideline 2 seems odd. It's like God saying: "I'll do anything you ask as long as I want to do it."

I'd say that 3 can result in a "snowball effect" which is to say that if a doubter's doubt can lead to a prayer not being answered, then the doubter might doubt even more!

Regarding 4, it seems to me that sinners need answered prayer more than the righteous.

Guideline 5 also seems odd because if you're petitioning God for something you want or need, then you are thinking of yourself, and what's wrong with that?

Finally, 6 doesn't explain why God can't just grant the petition with one prayer request, and neither does it tell us how many prayers it takes to succeed. Could it be that the person praying is praying for something that in time she'll get whether she prays or not?

brunumb
Savant

Re: Apologist explains how to get prayer answered.

Post #2

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to unknown soldier in post #1]

In other words, if any prayer is apparently answered it is nothing more than coincidence. Kyle Butt should have titled the chapter "The Christian apologist's guide to creating loopholes". The best reason for prayers not actually being answered by God is that there's no God there to answer them.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Post #3

brunumb wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:19 pmIn other words, if any prayer is apparently answered it is nothing more than coincidence.
Mere coincidence is my explanation for claims of answered prayers. The fallacy prayer warriors commit is the following:

If B follows A, then A caused B.

Of course, events A, B, C, D,...happen all the time at different times and are not related to almost all other events. An event that follows another event in the vast majority of cases can have happened for some other reason than the suspected preceding cause. So if I pray for good weather on the date of a church picnic, and when that dates arrives it is sunny and warm, then in all probability the good weather had nothing to do with my prayer. If the weather turns out to be cold and rainy, then to preserve my faith in prayer I can either ignore the failure of the prayer or explain it away.
Kyle Butt should have titled the chapter "The Christian apologist's guide to creating loopholes".

I emailed Kyle Butt to ask him what luck he's had with his own prayers, but he has as of now yet to reply. It seems reasonable to me that he's seen amazing answers to his prayers seeing that he knows what makes prayers effective.

But yes, he's come up with some loopholes just in case prayers don't pan out. His six criteria seem very tough, and I must wonder how many people can possibly go by all of them. It does appear that if Butt is right about what can make a prayer fail, then the person praying is to blame. So in addition to not attaining what we implore God for, we must also feel guilty.
The best reason for prayers not actually being answered by God is that there's no God there to answer them.
That's the most straight-forward answer I can think of, but it's a possibility that Christians are forbidden to entertain.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by The Tanager »

First, I have not read Butt's book (and haven't ever heard of him), so I'm just going off your summary of the points and not necessarily agreeing/disagreeing with Butt. Here are some initial thoughts:

1. To me this idea is about not praying for things Jesus spoke against, not that you have to be a Christian. For example, Jesus said to love your enemy, so one shouldn't pray that your enemy suffer greatly. If that person suffers, it's not because one prayed this.

2. This might be due to a different perspective on what prayer is. Many see prayer as akin to asking a genie for things. Another way to see prayer is to see it as a conversation where God seeks our transformation from "this is what I want" to "what do you want God?"

3. In Mark 9:14-29 we have a father crying out to Jesus "I believe; help my unbelief!" So, prayer isn't about perfect trust.

4. I'd have to see how Butt defines a "righteous" person. One possibility is that he's saying you can't go around knowingly sinning, not care, and still expect to get desired things from God simply because you ask Him for them. If Butt means that you have to be morally perfect to get what God wants, then I'd say he is Biblically way off.

5. It's not selfish to want a roof over your head. That's thinking of yourself, but it's not acting selfishly.

6. If praying is more about getting our hearts aligned with God than rubbing a magic lamp, then persistence is a needed thing because it's not easy changing our mindsets and getting us to act sometimes.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

unknown soldier wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:55 pmIf there's one issue that keeps apologists busy, it's the issue of unanswered prayer. Skeptics often point out that the hungry children who pray for food often die of starvation…
How do we know who and what people have prayed? Those sceptics seem to be very gullible, or perhaps they are just making up claims without any evidence? Can you show one example of person who prayed Bible God and did not get answer? And please also tell how can I really know the person prayed?

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Post #6

The Tanager wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 am First, I have not read Butt's book (and haven't ever heard of him), so I'm just going off your summary of the points and not necessarily agreeing/disagreeing with Butt.
Here's a link to A Christian's Guide to Refuting Modern Atheism. It's a good book in that it shows the viewpoint that many apologists have of atheism. I recommend you read it.
To me this idea is about not praying for things Jesus spoke against, not that you have to be a Christian. For example, Jesus said to love your enemy, so one shouldn't pray that your enemy suffer greatly. If that person suffers, it's not because one prayed this.
I understand what you're saying, but other parts of the Bible do not prescribe goodness toward enemies. Psalm 3:7 (NRSV) for example, has this to say:
Rise up, O Lord! Deliver me, O my God! For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked.
So it appears that the Psalmist has no qualms about beseeching God to make his enemies suffer.
Many see prayer as akin to asking a genie for things.
I've noticed that many Christians tend to characterize those who ask God for things as being childish or ignorant. Don't you think that is a harsh judgment?
Another way to see prayer is to see it as a conversation where God seeks our transformation from "this is what I want" to "what do you want God?"
I think it's safe to say that God is more likely to get something from you than you from him.
In Mark 9:14-29 we have a father crying out to Jesus "I believe; help my unbelief!" So, prayer isn't about perfect trust.
Butt quotes James 1:6-8 which says (NRSV):
But ask in faith, never doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind; for the doubter, being double-minded and unstable in every way, must not expect to receive anything from the Lord.
So if a person prays and doesn't receive, then she's even more likely to doubt she'll get what she is praying for, and she'll be worse off than when she started. Not only will she be empty-handed, but now she's being told she's at fault judged as being "double-minded and unstable in every way." With Bible passages like this, it's a wonder anybody bothers to pray.
I'd have to see how Butt defines a "righteous" person. One possibility is that he's saying you can't go around knowingly sinning, not care, and still expect to get desired things from God simply because you ask Him for them. If Butt means that you have to be morally perfect to get what God wants, then I'd say he is Biblically way off.
I think it's safe to say that Butt doesn't expect anybody to be perfect, but unfortunately he does not tell us what imperfections God will overlook.
It's not selfish to want a roof over your head. That's thinking of yourself, but it's not acting selfishly.
Butt's example of selfishness is to ask for money to have a good time. I'm not sure why God would object to such a request. Is it God's will that we have empty pockets and we be miserable?
If praying is more about getting our hearts aligned with God than rubbing a magic lamp, then persistence is a needed thing because it's not easy changing our mindsets and getting us to act sometimes.
As far as I'm concerned, it makes no sense for a real God to want us to persist in prayer. Can't he get it the first time we pray? If a God is unreal, then those who created him will tell us to persist in prayer his creators knowing full well that a made-up God cannot answer prayers.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pm
The Tanager wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 am
If praying is more about getting our hearts aligned with God than rubbing a magic lamp, then persistence is a needed thing because it's not easy changing our mindsets and getting us to act sometimes.
As far as I'm concerned, it makes no sense for a real God to want us to persist in prayer. Can't he get it the first time we pray? If a God is unreal, then those who created him will tell us to persist in prayer his creators knowing full well that a made-up God cannot answer prayers.

Do you see how your conclusion aligns perfectly with Tanagers "genie in a bottle" approach? A genie has no other consideration but to satisfy his master's request - that's what makes him (the genie) the slave. He must use his powers to satisfy the request REGARDLESS of the genie's judgement as to whether the request is for the long term good of the individual or others.

Unlike you, most believers don't view think of God as a slave that must use his unlimited powers to immediately satisfy their every desire. Rather they acknowledge an omnipotent Creator may have good reason, reason we may not always fully understand, to refuse request we might make. Accepting the above is a crucial component of what the bible calls... faith.

JW

For more, please go to other posts related to...

FAITH, PRAYER and ....WORSHIP
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brunumb
Savant

Post #8

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:04 am Unlike you, most believers don't view think of God as a slave that must use his unlimited powers to immediately satisfy their every desire.
Do you have evidence to support that claim?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brunumb wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:02 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:04 am Unlike you, most believers don't view think of God as a slave that must use his unlimited powers to immediately satisfy their every desire.
Do you have evidence to support that claim?
We need look no further the religious texts on the subject. Gods are rarely presented at being at the whim and wish of their subjects The pagan gods, were depicted as being masters over humans not the other way round. Jupiter would kidnap humans for his amusement, Zeus had affairs with them and even though Hesiod's Theogony and Works and Days , and Homer's the Iliad and the Odyssey do depict gracious magnanimous dieties, they were always so from a position of power.

The bible likewise depicts a God vastly superior to humans that expects them to bow to his will and even though there might be sects that believe god unconditionally grants all requests, they would have difficulty surviving faced with the evident demonstration that He does not.

MATTHEW 26:39

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

For more, please go to other posts related to...

PRAYER, GOD, and ....WORSHIP
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by The Tanager »

unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pmHere's a link to A Christian's Guide to Refuting Modern Atheism. It's a good book in that it shows the viewpoint that many apologists have of atheism. I recommend you read it.
Thank you.
unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pmI understand what you're saying, but other parts of the Bible do not prescribe goodness toward enemies. Psalm 3:7 (NRSV) for example, has this to say:
Rise up, O Lord! Deliver me, O my God! For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked.
So it appears that the Psalmist has no qualms about beseeching God to make his enemies suffer.
First, I'm not sure this Psalm is the best example for your point. The Psalmist calls out to God for help, knowing that God has the power to stop his enemies, which often would only come through causing suffering for the evil-doer because of their self-centeredness. The focus is on him being saved, not the enemy being punished.

But other Psalms, like 69, 109, 137, 139 (and other texts) are more direct to your point. However, just because someone prays a certain way in a Psalm (or other text), this does not mean God approves of it in every way. I think God lets us and calls us to be honest in our prayers. I think God doesn't want us to already have it all figured out before we pray. Part of the answer to that prayer will be God working on the heart of the one praying it. God's desire of goodness for evil-doers is all throughout the Hebrew and Christian scriptures. And God wants us to have that heart, too.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Many people of that day (and our day) are about loving the people who love them. That's easy. But God wants those who are unloving to change their ways. That won't come about by others hating them. God loves them and wants good for them and God wants us to do the same.
unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pmI've noticed that many Christians tend to characterize those who ask God for things as being childish or ignorant. Don't you think that is a harsh judgment?
I do think selfish prayers are childish and ignorant. But I don't say that as an insult, looking down on people. I (and everyone was) there heavily at one point and still return there from time to time. But as we grow what we do start asking for (and why we ask for it) changes, becoming less self-centered and more informed. That doesn't mean we stop asking God for things. It is good to ask God for things. We just grow in asking for better things.
unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pmI think it's safe to say that God is more likely to get something from you than you from him.
Why?
unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pmButt quotes James 1:6-8 which says (NRSV):
But ask in faith, never doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind; for the doubter, being double-minded and unstable in every way, must not expect to receive anything from the Lord.
So if a person prays and doesn't receive, then she's even more likely to doubt she'll get what she is praying for, and she'll be worse off than when she started. Not only will she be empty-handed, but now she's being told she's at fault judged as being "double-minded and unstable in every way." With Bible passages like this, it's a wonder anybody bothers to pray.
I don't think James is talking about those kinds of doubts. He isn't saying that your faith isn't strong enough as though you can manipulate God in that way. In verse 5 James just said that God gives generously to all without reproach. Faith isn't something you can do better than others, the power of faith comes in whom/what you put your faith in.

James is talking about a deeper sense of doubt. The double-minded in verse 8 literally is "of two souls/selves." It's a person whose heart is divided and they haven't decided for God yet. They are still wavering between self-reliance and reliance on God. If you aren't convinced God gives trustworthy wisdom, then you won't trust God's answers for wisdom (which, from verse 5, is what is being prayed for hear).
unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pmI think it's safe to say that Butt doesn't expect anybody to be perfect, but unfortunately he does not tell us what imperfections God will overlook.
And you think the Bible says God will overlook some, but not others?
unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pmButt's example of selfishness is to ask for money to have a good time. I'm not sure why God would object to such a request. Is it God's will that we have empty pockets and we be miserable?
That still needs further context. No, God isn't against us having any fun, but that definitely shouldn't be the focus of our life. We should use our resources (money, time, etc.) on bringing joy, justice, and basic needs to others who don't have it.
unknown soldier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pmAs far as I'm concerned, it makes no sense for a real God to want us to persist in prayer. Can't he get it the first time we pray?
Persistance is for our sake, not His. He knows what we want and need even before we pray and even if we never pray. He sends sun and rain on those who pray and those who don't.