Apologist explains how to get prayer answered.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

unknown soldier
Banned
Banned

Apologist explains how to get prayer answered.

Post #1

Post by unknown soldier »

If there's one issue that keeps apologists busy, it's the issue of unanswered prayer. Skeptics often point out that the hungry children who pray for food often die of starvation. If God exists, then why don't we see better results from prayer? Christian apologist Kyle Butt answers this question on pages 229-244 of A Christian's Guide to Refuting Modern Atheism. He explains that effective prayer must conform to the following:

1. Prayer must be "in the name of Jesus." That is, prayer must be in accord with Jesus' teachings and authority.
2. It is necessary for prayer to be in accord with God's will. God has a way of doing things that no prayer can change.
3. The person praying must believe she will receive what she requests. Otherwise, she won't receive what she requests!
4. The person praying must be a righteous person. So all you sinners, forget it!
5. Prayer won't work if the petitioner prays with selfish desires.
6. Persistence in prayer is important. One or two prayers might not be enough.

I'm eager to read what other members here have to say about these guidelines, but allow me to start out saying that if 1 is true, then anybody who is not a Christian won't benefit from prayer. I wonder if those non-Christians see that their prayers aren't doing any good.

Guideline 2 seems odd. It's like God saying: "I'll do anything you ask as long as I want to do it."

I'd say that 3 can result in a "snowball effect" which is to say that if a doubter's doubt can lead to a prayer not being answered, then the doubter might doubt even more!

Regarding 4, it seems to me that sinners need answered prayer more than the righteous.

Guideline 5 also seems odd because if you're petitioning God for something you want or need, then you are thinking of yourself, and what's wrong with that?

Finally, 6 doesn't explain why God can't just grant the petition with one prayer request, and neither does it tell us how many prayers it takes to succeed. Could it be that the person praying is praying for something that in time she'll get whether she prays or not?

The Tanager
Savant

Re: Apologist explains how to get prayer answered.

Post #621

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #620]

It seems there's nothing left for our conversation, then. I want to thank you for hanging with it for as long as you did and sharing your thoughts, so that people who are interested have had multiple voices on the issue.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Apologist explains how to get prayer answered.

Post #622

Post by JoeyKnothead »

The Tanager wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:19 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #620]

It seems there's nothing left for our conversation, then. I want to thank you for hanging with it for as long as you did and sharing your thoughts, so that people who are interested have had multiple voices on the issue.
And the same good tidings to you.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin