Who determines who is and isn't a Christian these days?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Who determines who is and isn't a Christian these days?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

I recently had a "conversation" with a man who attacked me for making a simple, general statement of "I so don't care" on my own personal social media feed. I forget what exactly he said initially, but it was something akin to knowing me personally (I had no idea who this guy was and never spoke with him in my life), then started calling me names like 'jerk', 'pathetic', and 'sad' after pontificating how he's a Christian, how he 'loves the world and all the people in it' and replied to my initial statement 'to make the world a better place'. He then started preaching how we will all have to bow to God at judgement blah blah blah. Later, he even insulted others that took up my position by calling them 'lovers of {me}' and that one woman 'must be attracted to' me (which, of course, they all are but that's another story 8-) ), and he ended everything with a 'God bless' statement.

I'm not a Christian by practice, though I was for many, many years. And I'm fine telling someone - especially one that acts like this - that's he's not a Christian as far as I can see. That didn't sit well with him. For days he kept bringing it up and wanting to fight, which I obliged as I had the free time.

When I told Kenny he wasn't acting like a good Christian, he could have said 'Oh well' but he continued - for days - with the insults to not just me but others, almost always ending in a saving face/make it all right attempt of "God bless".
Later, I wondered if anyone has the right to call out someone who is or isn't acting like a Christian.
1) Are Christian to expect to be called out for their foolish behavior (rather or not it is), or should we all just mind our own business?
2) Are Christians (should Christians be) held to a higher standard of demeanor than non-Christians? Surely you shouldn't expect a Christian to defend themselves when personally attacked, but at what point does their defense change from defense to venomous hatred?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Who determines who is and isn't a Christian these days?

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:21 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #9]

Then this is a topic for the C&A forum.
Then the MODS are more than free to move it as they see fit :approve:

otseng
Savant

Post #12

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved topic from TD&D to C&A.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:39 pm ...
Later, I wondered if anyone has the right to call out someone who is or isn't acting like a Christian.
1) Are Christian to expect to be called out for their foolish behavior (rather or not it is), or should we all just mind our own business?
2) Are Christians (should Christians be) held to a higher standard of demeanor than non-Christians? Surely you shouldn't expect a Christian to defend themselves when personally attacked, but at what point does their defense change from defense to venomous hatred?
I think only one with that right is Jesus. And by what the Bible tells, Christian originally meant a disciple of Jesus.

… It was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.
Acts 11:26

And by what Jesus says, disciple is a person who remains in his words.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

I think that should be expected from Christians. Also, this is one thing:

… love one another, just like I have loved you; that you also love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
John 13:34-35

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:58 am
nobspeople wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:39 pm ...
I think only one with that right is Jesus. And by what the Bible tells, Christian originally meant a disciple of Jesus.

… It was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.
Acts 11:26

And by what Jesus says, disciple is a person who remains in his words.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

I think that should be expected from Christians. Also, this is one thing:

… love one another, just like I have loved you; that you also love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
John 13:34-35
So if you see someone who claims they're a Christian (by whatever definition you wish to use) and isn't acting like it you say and do nothing? Just ignore them?
Even if they're attacking you?
Not saying it's right one way or the others, just asking for your opinion on how you'd handle it ion the real world.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:02 pm So if you see someone who claims they're a Christian (by whatever definition you wish to use) and isn't acting like it you say and do nothing? Just ignore them?
If I would see that, and if I would have opportunity, I could ask why he is doing so and what he thinks Christian means. And after that I would show what Bible tells about it.

And about they attacking me, it would depend on how they would do that.

But, in any case, I don’t have need to argue about the matter. For me, it is enough if people know what Bible tells. If they don’t agree with it, it is their problem.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:56 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:02 pm So if you see someone who claims they're a Christian (by whatever definition you wish to use) and isn't acting like it you say and do nothing? Just ignore them?
If I would see that, and if I would have opportunity, I could ask why he is doing so and what he thinks Christian means. And after that I would show what Bible tells about it.

And about they attacking me, it would depend on how they would do that.

But, in any case, I don’t have need to argue about the matter. For me, it is enough if people know what Bible tells. If they don’t agree with it, it is their problem.
Thanks for the response. The bolded section - couldn't that be said of anything?

samuelbb7
Sage

Post #17

Post by samuelbb7 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #4]

A slave could choose to become a Jew. Then he would be able to be set free. Also a Jew could decide to not be set free. But stay a servant. Both Jew and non Jew got Sabbath off and all the other holidays. So not the same as the South in the United States and definitely not as it was in Brazil. Also slaves had rights. Even non Jews. The Southerners would have laughed at that idea. Now did all the owners do what they were supposed to do. Probably not.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by nobspeople »

samuelbb7 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:46 am [Replying to Tcg in post #4]

A slave could choose to become a Jew. Then he would be able to be set free. Also a Jew could decide to not be set free. But stay a servant. Both Jew and non Jew got Sabbath off and all the other holidays. So not the same as the South in the United States and definitely not as it was in Brazil. Also slaves had rights. Even non Jews. The Southerners would have laughed at that idea. Now did all the owners do what they were supposed to do. Probably not.
A slave could choose to become a Jew. Then he would be able to be set free.
So if a slave wants to be free, he has to convert? Just wanted to clarify

samuelbb7
Sage

Post #19

Post by samuelbb7 »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]

I would agree based on your description that he is probably not a real Christian.

Many who say they love others show they don't by their words and actions. Like the old Saying actions speak louder than words.

I am a Christian. But there is an old song. Not everyone talking about heaven is going there.

Have a nice day.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by nobspeople »

Revelations won wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:59 pm Dear nobspeople,

I am not the defining judge. As I recall that is God's ultimate judgement.

Do you think it best to let him decide?

Kind regards,
RW
I'm sorry I missed your post :shock:
I try to catch all of them but do miss some here and there - nothing personal.
To your topic:
Best or not, if God exists and he judges it doesn't matter what we say about others in that regard.
To me, that's somewhat different than what I'm asking about.
Like it or not, we all judge others all the time; sometimes it's something as mundane as their choice of shoe and belt combo while others times it's more a matter of life and death. If we go with the idea of 'all judgement is God's', then we must do away with any justice system as that's a form a judgement.
To me, God's judgement and ours are different.
While it's taught the bible says "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you." to me that doesn't say NOT to judge, it says whatever way you judge is the way you'll be judged. In other words, it's a cautionary tale of 'temper your judgement when possible'.
To me, calling out someone for their actions is not judging in the sense of you shouldn't judge, but more of a 'remember you will be judged the same way at some point'.
That's a round about way of saying NO, I don't think judgement is best left up to God.