Loving but not liking

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Loving but not liking

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

You can love someone without liking them. They may be a good person at heart, but you don't like how the talk to others, their political views, their style....whatever.

Can you love God without liking him?

You may be able to love God for what or who he is, but not like what he's done to people in the past (or what he's doing or allowing currently). Or not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Loving but not liking

Post #41

Post by JehovahsWitness »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:05 pm

It is fine if you don't accept a premise you do not agree with, but it would have helped for you to provide an explanation for your objection.

My objection is that God did indeed create a situation where he could (in the case of Adam and Eve) and does (in the case of humanity) distinguish the people who freely love him from the people who don't without placing them in a position of {quote} "unnecessary or excessive harm".
bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:38 pm
.. the question we are attempting to answer is if it is possible for God to distinguish the people who freely love him from the people who don't without the need to place unnecessary or excessive harm (virtual or otherwise) ....
Explaination (which applies to both groups ) already provided.
viewtopic.php?p=1026797#p1026797
bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:05 pm
Now that you have been provided with the proper context, would you like to provide a relevant response?
I presume your question was relevant and I have adressed the question asked (see above).

Regards,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:15 pmI can't love a god whose morality lets him condone slavery, advocate killing practicing homosexuals, and sees no injustice in killing innocent women and children.
I could if God was a very attractive female, but that attests to what I think love is and what I think like is (though I think this topic somewhat proves my definitions correct).

What most people call lust, I call love.

What most people call love, I call like.

That doesn't mean you can't have love for someone like an abusive father in my thinking; it's a part of the same basal, emotional attachment that lust is.

I say, if the attachment is emotional, it's love. If the attachment is about sharing the same values, interests, and enjoying talking together, it's like.
bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:38 pmUnderstood, but the question we are attempting to answer is if it is possible for God to distinguish the people who freely love him from the people who don't without the need to place humanity in a situation where unnecessary or excessive harm (virtual or otherwise) results from granting them freewill. So far, there is no indication that your God couldn't have accomplished this objective, and we should reasonably expect an omnibenevolent god to have that objective and the ability to accomplish it. Therefore, why do we experience the types and levels of harm we do from freely chosen evil decisions when such conditions are not necessary for us to make freewill decisions and not necessary for God to distinguish those who freely love him from those who don't?
A test doesn't test anything if it doesn't mean anything.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #43

Post by bluegreenearth »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:05 pm A test doesn't test anything if it doesn't mean anything.
I didn't intend to imply that the test wouldn't involve an allowance for any harm at all. The question is whether the objective of the test could have be achieved if there were additional and greater limitations on the ability for evil decisions to cause harm.
Last edited by bluegreenearth on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #44

Post by bluegreenearth »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:44 pm My objection is that God did indeed create a situation where he could (in the case of Adam and Eve) and does (in the case of humanity) distinguish the people who freely love him from the people who don't without placing them in a position of {quote} "unnecessary or excessive harm".
Then, according to your logic above, it would not be possible for God to distinguish the people who freely love him from those who don't if the harm that occurs from their choices to commit evil actions were reduced by even the slightest amount. However, God is claimed to have the capacity to judge people by their freely chosen thoughts alone, whether they act upon those thoughts or not. So, how do you reconcile those two ideas?

brunumb
Savant

Post #45

Post by brunumb »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:05 pm Some skeptics argue that an omnibenevolent God would not have permitted evil to exist in the first place while some theologians counter with an apologetic claiming God's desire for humanity to have freewill compelled him to permit the choice between good and evil.
How do you have that choice when you are denied the knowledge of good and evil? To gain that you have to eat forbidden fruit for which there are the direst of consequences, not just for yourself but for all of humanity. It's a lose-lose situation.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

William
Savant

Post #46

Post by William »

brunumb wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:19 pm
bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:05 pm Some skeptics argue that an omnibenevolent God would not have permitted evil to exist in the first place while some theologians counter with an apologetic claiming God's desire for humanity to have freewill compelled him to permit the choice between good and evil.
How do you have that choice when you are denied the knowledge of good and evil? To gain that you have to eat forbidden fruit for which there are the direst of consequences, not just for yourself but for all of humanity. It's a lose-lose situation.
Yes - the whole story of humanity according to popular ideas of The Creator as presented by the Abrahamic religions, show clearly that each and every one of us are born into a game that The Creator has already won.

Checkmate.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #47

Post by Purple Knight »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:38 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:05 pm A test doesn't test anything if it doesn't mean anything.
I didn't intend to imply that the test wouldn't involve an allowance for any harm at all. The question is whether the objective of the test could have be achieved if there were additional and greater limitations on the ability for evil decisions to cause harm.
I'm just arguing from charity here but my thinking is perhaps not. I don't think whether people will make small sacrifices to buy a little insurance is a good test of whether they're genuine. The Jobe test was a great test of whether he was genuine. He was. There's no question of that. The question in my mind at that point is whether he ought to have been.

It's only when people are faced with horrible inconceivable losses that you find out what they really believe.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #48

Post by bluegreenearth »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:34 pm I'm just arguing from charity here but my thinking is perhaps not. I don't think whether people will make small sacrifices to buy a little insurance is a good test of whether they're genuine. The Jobe test was a great test of whether he was genuine. He was. There's no question of that. The question in my mind at that point is whether he ought to have been.

It's only when people are faced with horrible inconceivable losses that you find out what they really believe.
That seems to be a reasonable perspective if we presume the god lacks an ability to just read someone's mind. Would the ability to read someone's true inner thoughts change the type of test the god would use?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by Purple Knight »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:50 pmThat seems to be a reasonable perspective if we presume the god lacks an ability to just read someone's mind. Would the ability to read someone's true inner thoughts change the type of test the god would use?
I'm not sure. Perhaps it's about what people would do, not just what they think they would do.

You might be surprised how many of the worshipped crusaders of good might actually fail when it's crunch time, though they didn't think they would. They were 100% certain they'd do the right thing... and then they didn't.

And me? Well I honestly expect to fail the important tests about good and evil. But who knows? Maybe when it's crunch time I surprise myself. And God.

This may be the magic, so to speak, of free will.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #50

Post by bluegreenearth »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:06 pm I'm not sure. Perhaps it's about what people would do, not just what they think they would do.

You might be surprised how many of the worshipped crusaders of good might actually fail when it's crunch time, though they didn't think they would. They were 100% certain they'd do the right thing... and then they didn't.

And me? Well I honestly expect to fail the important tests about good and evil. But who knows? Maybe when it's crunch time I surprise myself. And God.

This may be the magic, so to speak, of free will.
Just for fun, let's throw in the claim that the god also has foreknowledge. If this doesn't change the type of test the god would use, would it change the need for the test to be carried out in full?