Loving but not liking

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Loving but not liking

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

You can love someone without liking them. They may be a good person at heart, but you don't like how the talk to others, their political views, their style....whatever.

Can you love God without liking him?

You may be able to love God for what or who he is, but not like what he's done to people in the past (or what he's doing or allowing currently). Or not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Loving but not liking

Post #51

Post by JehovahsWitness »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Then, according to your logic above, it would not be possible for God to distinguish the people who freely love him from those who don't if the harm that occurs from their choices to commit evil actions were reduced by even the slightest amount.
How do you come to this conclusion? Biblically, God judges us by our choices not from the fallout from our choices. The whole principle of salvation equates to God mitigating the fallout of negative choices.

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:01 pm ...God is claimed to have the capacity to judge people by their freely chosen thoughts alone, whether they act upon those thoughts or not.
Emphasis MINE

An omnipotent God, by defintion, has the capacity do anything he likes, whether or not he chooses to use that capacity any give time is another question.
bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:01 pm ... So, how do you reconcile those two ideas?
What two ideas. Unless you are asserting God does indeed choose to judge us for our thoughts rather than our actions, there is no conflict to "reconcile". Indeed I fail to see how the issue is even relevant. The question was about whether God can " distinguish the people who freely love him from those who don't " without causing harm, not how he judges those that make negative choices. Recognising a burglar is not the same as sentencing one.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #52

Post by bluegreenearth »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:40 pm How do you come to this conclusion? Biblically, God judges us by our choices not from the fallout from our choices. The whole principle of salvation equates to God mitigating the fallout of negative choices.
So, if God judges us by our choices alone and not from the fallout resulting from our choices, then what would change from God's perspective if the fallout from our choices was just a little less harmful? For instance, if the fallout from Adam & Eve disobeying God included all the same tragedies humanity currently experiences except that natural disasters would never cause harm to anyone, would God still be able to judge people by their choices and would the principle of salvation still equate to mitigating the fallout of negative choices?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #53

Post by Purple Knight »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:14 pmJust for fun, let's throw in the claim that the god also has foreknowledge. If this doesn't change the type of test the god would use, would it change the need for the test to be carried out in full?
That's an interesting question and it might depend on the nature of right and wrong as it relates to the concept of Minority Report. (In a future where a special police unit is able to arrest murderers before they commit their crimes, an officer from that unit is himself accused of a future murder.)

Is it okay to reward people for things they only would do? Is it okay to punish people for things they never had a chance to avoid doing?

I don't have the answer to that.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #54

Post by JehovahsWitness »

bluegreenearth wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:45 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:40 pm How do you come to this conclusion? Biblically, God judges us by our choices not from the fallout from our choices. The whole principle of salvation equates to God mitigating the fallout of negative choices.
So, if God judges us by our choices alone and not from the fallout resulting from our choices, then what would change from God's perspective if the fallout from our choices was just a little less harmful?
I don't know. I suppose since he doesn't enjoy seeing us suffer, he would be glad one pitfall would have been avoided.

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

FREE WILL, RESPONSIBILITY and ...ORIGINAL SIN
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #55

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 pm ...Does God have the ability to grant freewill to a soul that isn't occupying a human body, or is a human body required for a soul to have freewill? If we had been created as souls with freewill and existed as souls without physical bodies, would God still have the ability to distinguish the souls who freely love and obey him from the souls who don't?
I believe so, but then I don’t think we could experience this way what evil means.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #56

Post by bluegreenearth »

1213 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 pm
bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 pm ...Does God have the ability to grant freewill to a soul that isn't occupying a human body, or is a human body required for a soul to have freewill? If we had been created as souls with freewill and existed as souls without physical bodies, would God still have the ability to distinguish the souls who freely love and obey him from the souls who don't?
I believe so, but then I don’t think we could experience this way what evil means.
I'm not understanding your response. Please elaborate.

Savant

Post #57

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:00 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 pm
I'm not understanding your response. Please elaborate.
Ok, sorry. My answer to question “Does God have the ability to grant freewill to a soul that isn't occupying a human body, or is a human body required for a soul to have freewill?” is yes.

Also, I think God has ability to distinguish souls, even without physical body.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #58

Post by bluegreenearth »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:47 am Ok, sorry. My answer to question “Does God have the ability to grant freewill to a soul that isn't occupying a human body, or is a human body required for a soul to have freewill?” is yes.

Also, I think God has ability to distinguish souls, even without physical body.
If God can achieve his objective for humanity without humans needing physical bodies, then what is the purpose of physical bodies?

Savant

Post #59

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:13 am ...
If God can achieve his objective for humanity without humans needing physical bodies, then what is the purpose of physical bodies?
That people can achieve what they want, which is, to know like God what evil is.

brunumb
Savant

Post #60

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:10 am
bluegreenearth wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:13 am ...
That people can achieve what they want, which is, to know like God what evil is.
That's a pretty useless purpose for our existence. Let's face it, God hasn't achieved anything. He hasn't even demonstrated a single one of the attributes we humans have given him. He is just a character in a lot of fairy tales drawn from the imaginations of people trying to explain the world they found themselves in.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.