Pets in heaven

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

For what purpose does heaven exist?
1) Is it for peace for humanity?
2) Is it to worship God forever?
3) Is it simply a reward?

1) Sounds nice but only nice.
2) I shudder of eternally kissing the feet of someone for eternity - which seems kind of arrogant on the being being worshiped I must say. In other words it doesn't sound enjoyable past the first '5 minutes'.
3) Sounds more realistic.

Are pets allowed in heaven? For many of us, they are our family. For some of us, they're literally the only family and or friends we have. Why shouldn't they be allowed in heaven?
Surely option 2 above, pets would be 'out' as that would likely interfere with God's need to be praised for eternity.
For the other options, it sounds perfectly fine; some may even say preferable to option 2.

So are our pets allowed in to heaven?
If not, should they be?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

brunumb
Savant

Re: Pets in heaven

Post #21

Post by brunumb »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:42 pm [Replying to Diagoras in post #19]
Again, the Christian scripture and tradition holds that our Lord entered “heaven” in his resurrected body. This suggests that, at least from a Christian standpoint, the realm where God resides does not have to be purely spiritual.
So, when Jesus ascended into heaven from Bethany on the Mount of Olives, where did he go and how did he travel?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

The insistence that heaven as the “realm where God resides… outside the universe” must be purely spiritual, not allowing a body of any kind, seams arbitrary and unjustified.
There are bodies in heaven but the bible indicates they are not physical (flesh and blood/carbone based) bodies.

1 CORINTHIANS 15:44, 50

... If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one. ... flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption

To read more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN, SPIRITS and ... THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:07 am

The insistence that heaven as the “realm where God resides… outside the universe” must be purely spiritual, not allowing a body of any kind, seams arbitrary and unjustified.
There are bodies in heaven but the bible indicates they are not physical (flesh and blood/carbone based) bodies.

1 CORINTHIANS 15:44, 50

... If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one. ... flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption

To read more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN, SPIRITS and ... THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD
Enoch and Elijah were both taken directly to heaven in bodily form. Jesus ascended in a physical body as well. If at least these three people were taken to heaven in a body, it increases the likelihood that other believers in heaven will have a body as well.

Thomas, in John 20:27, physically touched the body of Christ following His resurrection, so he had a body that was solid it would seem. Job wrote that he knew for sure that even after he dies and his skin is long gone, that "in my flesh I shall see God" (Job 19:26). So that means bodies will consist of some kind of glorified flesh - whatever form we have, we know that it will be perfect, sinless and flawless.

When Stephen sees Jesus standing at the right hand of the Father (Acts 7:56), he sees a physically embodied Jesus it seems. Standing requires something to stand on. We are also told Jesus sits on the throne at the right hand of the Father. Thrones are physical objects. For Jesus to sit down, the throne has to be a tangible throne with an actual seat. At least that's one interpretation.

In Revelation 6:9, we are told about the Christians around the altar who died during their earthly lives for their faith and witness; each were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer (Revelation 6:11). Notice they wear white robes. Robes are tangible objects you'd suspect. Doesn't seem this is a metaphorical for something else. Gathered around a physical altar and wearing physical robes, the martyrs cry out with their voices. Voices crying out require vocal chords and diaphragms, which are material properties. Unless we want to adhere to the 'it's all spiritual visioning' or the like.

Does God’s salvation save the body too? So it seems. The technical term for this is called “glorification” as theologian and scholar Wayne Grudem explains: "Glorification is the final step in the application of redemption. It will happen when Christ returns and raises from the dead the bodies of all believers for all time who have died and changes the bodies of all believers who remain alive, thereby giving all believers at the same time perfect resurrection bodies like His own."

So it seems there are a few differing views on the matter.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:49 pmIf the paradise Jesus refered to is in fact a reestablishment of Edenic conditions on the same planet as the original garden of Eden, then there will indeed be animals in "Paradise".
I quite get this because I agree that most of what the Bible describes as the reward for good behaviour involves clearly still being alive. But I assume peoples' cats will still die in Paradise.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:01 pm ... I assume peoples' cats will still die in Paradise.
Yes, I think that's a fair assumption. There is no reason to think God would purpose needless suffering for animals but neither does the bible indicate eternal life was part of His original plan for them.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Won't the earth eventually become over populated if nobody dies?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 37#p832237

Were humans designed to live forever?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 82#p815882

If death will be eliminated, why will animals not live forever in paradise ?
viewtopic.php?p=956006#p956006

To learn more please go to other posts related to

LIFE, DEATH and ...THE HUMAN SOUL

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:14 am Job wrote that he knew for sure that even after he dies and his skin is long gone, that "in my flesh I shall see God" (Job 19:26).

DID JOB GO TO HEAVEN AND SEE GOD WHILE STILL IN A PHYSICAL BODY?

Job made no mention in this verse refered to above of dying, nor did he mention going to heaven in a physical body, indeed he made no mention of heaven at all.

JOB 19 :26, 27

After my skin has thus been destroyed, while yet in my flesh, I will see God, 27 Whom I will see for myself, Whom my own eyes will see, not someone else’s

Job mention his SKIN being "destroyed" but still being alive in the flesh. This is a reference to the debilitating skin condition he was afflicted with (compare Job2:7)

JOB 30:30

My skin has blackened and fallen off; My bones burn from the heat
JOB 7:5
My flesh is covered with maggots and clods of dirt; My skin is full of scabs and pus

IN WHATS SENSE DID JOB "SEE GOD "?

Despite his distressjng physical condition Job expressed his confidence he would "see God". We often use "see" in the metaphorical sense of "understanding" someone or something, Or when we get to know someone or something on a deeper level. That Job was speaking of God being revealed to him in this sense is supported by Job's later exclamation. When God indeed spoke to him and reasoned with Him, Job exclaimed

JOB 42: 5
My ears have heard about you, but now I do see you with my eyes.
The account does not speak of God literally showing himself to Job but rather we read Job heard the VOICE of God. He thus could "see God" in a sense of he came to a greater understanding of God and experience God in a new and more profound way.

RELATED POSTS

Did the prophet Elijah die and go to heaven in a firey chariot?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 84#p946484

Was Jesus resurrected in a spiritual or physical body?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 16#p753616

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:05 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:14 am Job wrote that he knew for sure that even after he dies and his skin is long gone, that "in my flesh I shall see God" (Job 19:26).

DID JOB GO TO HEAVEN AND SEE GOD WHILE STILL IN A PHYSICAL BODY?

Job made no mention in this verse refered to above of dying, nor did he mention going to heaven in a physical body, indeed he made no mention of heaven at all.

JOB 19 :26, 27

After my skin has thus been destroyed, while yet in my flesh, I will see God, 27 Whom I will see for myself, Whom my own eyes will see, not someone else’s

Job mention his SKIN being "destroyed" but still being alive in the flesh. This is a reference to the debilitating skin condition he was afflicted with (compare Job2:7)

JOB 30:30

My skin has blackened and fallen off; My bones burn from the heat
JOB 7:5
My flesh is covered with maggots and clods of dirt; My skin is full of scabs and pus

IN WHATS SENSE DID JOB "SEE GOD "?

Despite his distressjng physical condition Job expressed his confidence he would "see God". We often use "see" in the metaphorical sense of "understanding" someone or something, Or when we get to know someone or something on a deeper level. That Job was speaking of God being revealed to him in this sense is supported by Job's later exclamation. When God indeed spoke to him and reasoned with Him, Job exclaimed

JOB 42: 5
My ears have heard about you, but now I do see you with my eyes.
The account does not speak of God literally showing himself to Job but rather we read Job heard the VOICE of God. He thus could "see God" in a sense of he came to a greater understanding of God and experience God in a new and more profound way.

RELATED POSTS

Did the prophet Elijah die and go to heaven in a firey chariot?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 84#p946484

Was Jesus resurrected in a spiritual or physical body?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 16#p753616
So it was more of a radiation burn from a ship than anything else.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #2]
The most consistent and significant thing the Bible teaches about heaven is that it will be different than earth.
It would have to be to be tolerable.
Looking for pets to be in heaven suggests, I think, a somewhat small view of heaven.
That's a sad thing to think. Maybe some should look at their pets as more than an animal pet - as something with emotions, intelligence and desires.
It is looking at heaven more like wish-fulfillmen
Same can be said about no sin, no death blah blah blah.
The resounding chorus of the NT is, “We will be changed.”
Which is rather ambiguous. But, I suppose, when one has to rely on faith and not knowledge, that's the best they can expect.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:04 pm Are pets allowed in heaven? For many of us, they are our family. For some of us, they're literally the only family and or friends we have. Why shouldn't they be allowed in heaven?
Surely option 2 above, pets would be 'out' as that would likely interfere with God's need to be praised for eternity.
For the other options, it sounds perfectly fine; some may even say preferable to option 2.

If not, should they be?
Are pets allowed in heaven? The Bible doesn't say.

Next..
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #30

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:18 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:04 pm Are pets allowed in heaven? For many of us, they are our family. For some of us, they're literally the only family and or friends we have. Why shouldn't they be allowed in heaven?

If not, should they be?
Are pets allowed in heaven? The Bible doesn't say.

Next..
Actually, the kingdom of God, will be on earth, and according to the prophets, "the wolf and the lamb shall graze together." (Isaiah 65:25).