Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

The Role of Forgiveness in Apologetics

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

This question is mainly for Christian apologists, but all are welcome to answer it, of course. Should apologists be more forgiving of those skeptics who have mistreated them in some way? I've been mistreated by atheists, and it's hard to be forgiving. I'm wondering how other apologists feel about this issue.

Overcomer
Guru

Re: The Role of Forgiveness in Apologetics

Post #21

Post by Overcomer »

Consider what Scripture says about turning the other cheek. It doesn't mean we are to be doormats for everybody. It means we shouldn't respond in kind. In other words, don't trade insult for insult.

It can be difficult if someone constantly belittles Christianity in general and you in particular. I don't see anything wrong with asking someone to be more respectful and courteous. If they continue to be unpleasant in spite of your request for a more civil tone, then ignore them and don't engage them in conversation again.

Of course, at that point, someone may say you dropped out of the conversation because you don't have an argument to refute theirs or you realize you're in over your head, etc. In those cases, don't let them bait you into exchanging barbs with them. Better to let them think they have won the argument than sink to the level of insults or continue to be demeaned by them.

I offer these guidelines for any forum you visit, not just this one. They have served me well down through the years at a variety of sites.

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Paul of Tarsus in post #1]

Given that you still seem to be having trouble putting this incident behind you, it may be helpful if you provide a link to where this troublesome encounter took place. That way we can read what took place and provide specific advice on how to put it behind you.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Overcomer wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:51 pm Consider what Scripture says about turning the other cheek. It doesn't mean we are to be doormats for everybody. It means we shouldn't respond in kind. In other words, don't trade insult for insult.
Actually, we are being told to invite an assailant to strike us a second time. So Jesus didn't mean his turn the other cheek ethic to be merely passive, but we are to actively participate in assaults on our persons. I honestly could never figure out why Jesus commanded something so dangerous.
It can be difficult if someone constantly belittles Christianity in general and you in particular. I don't see anything wrong with asking someone to be more respectful and courteous. If they continue to be unpleasant in spite of your request for a more civil tone, then ignore them and don't engage them in conversation again.

Of course, at that point, someone may say you dropped out of the conversation because you don't have an argument to refute theirs or you realize you're in over your head, etc. In those cases, don't let them bait you into exchanging barbs with them. Better to let them think they have won the argument than sink to the level of insults or continue to be demeaned by them.
Regarding ridicule, Christ told us to be exceedingly glad when we are reviled for his sake. He promised us great rewards in heaven if we endure that mockery. Of course, few Christians actually are glad that skeptics mock them.