Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

The Role of Forgiveness in Apologetics

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

This question is mainly for Christian apologists, but all are welcome to answer it, of course. Should apologists be more forgiving of those skeptics who have mistreated them in some way? I've been mistreated by atheists, and it's hard to be forgiving. I'm wondering how other apologists feel about this issue.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The Role of Forgiveness in Apologetics

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:49 pm That kind of behavior really harms the chances of those of us who want intelligent and sensible discussions about the issues in Christianity.
The internet is kinda like watching TV. If a show comes on that you don't like, change the channel.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:49 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:27 am
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:55 pm This question is mainly for Christian apologists, but all are welcome to answer it, of course. Should apologists be more forgiving of those skeptics who have mistreated them in some way?
More forgiving than whom?
Apologists should be more forgiving than they've been in the past. To be honest, some apologists are not very forgiving. I've seen them make a point of putting some atheists on their permanent "dirt list" if those apologists feel they've been wronged by atheists. It seems really petty and vindictive.
Certainly sounds like it.

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:27 am
I've been mistreated by atheists, and it's hard to be forgiving. I'm wondering how other apologists feel about this issue.
Curious: mistreated in what way? I ask because I'm an atheist.
Well, just recently in an atheist forum I was called a "sneaky bastard" for just asking some questions about the Bible. That kind of behavior really harms the chances of those of us who want intelligent and sensible discussions about the issues in Christianity.
People not worth bothering with. Almost everyone here on Debating Christianity and Religion is pretty nice to deal with, and the mods here aren't afraid to boot those that aren't.

Welcome aboard,

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:12 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:49 pm That kind of behavior really harms the chances of those of us who want intelligent and sensible discussions about the issues in Christianity.
The internet is kinda like watching TV. If a show comes on that you don't like, change the channel.
I changed that channel, but I was disappointed. I think atheists who as a concerted effort criticize Christian morality really need to demonstrate that they can do better. It's sad when they fall short.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:15 pm Almost everyone here on Debating Christianity and Religion is pretty nice to deal with, and the mods here aren't afraid to boot those that aren't.

Welcome aboard...
That's good to hear, thanks. I'm hoping to be a different kind of apologist who can use sound logic without calling anybody names.

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:43 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:12 pm
I changed that channel, but I was disappointed. I think atheists who as a concerted effort criticize Christian morality really need to demonstrate that they can do better. It's sad when they fall short.
I'm not sure what "concerted effort" you're referring to. People of all stripes behave poorly at times and doing so on the internet is not a rare occurrence. I've read through some conversations on "Christian Only" forums and the way some treat each other can be shocking. Some threads are not much more than personal attack after personal attack. For whatever reason it is part of human behavior. It's disappointing, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just change the channel and move on as you have done.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bjs1
Sage

Post #16

Post by bjs1 »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:31 pm
bjs1 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 pm [Replying to Paul of Tarsus in post #1]

Yes, forgive. Always.

Study the parable of the Unmercifully Servant in Matthew 18. Consider your own sins and compare them to any mistreatment you have received. If you are like me you will find that the debt you owe is far greater than any debt owed to you.

In Micah the prophet summed up what is good and what the Lord desires of His people. Micah said it was to, “Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God.” Mercy was place on par with good works and a faithful relationship with God as one of our highest priorities.

If you struggle to forgive I recommend dedicating time (about 15 minutes) every day to meditating on the Matthew 18 over the next month. Also set aside time to fast and pray that God will grant you a merciful heart.
Thanks a lot for the advice, but I'm still wondering what exactly it means to forgive. Obviously it doesn't mean to approve of the wrong. Does it mean to just overlook the wrong as if it never happened? If I do that, then I might make myself vulnerable to being wronged again.

It might help if I explain what happened. In an "atheist" forum I asked some questions about the Bible in the subsection that dealt with issues related to Christianity. The atheists there started mocking me. One of them called me a "sneaky bastard." I became very angry and told him off. I thought it was really stupid of them to haunt a forum about Christian issues only to laugh off talking about the Bible, and I told them so.

WWJD?
Forgiveness means to love a person despite their actions. It definitely does leave you open to being wronged again.

That said, people tend to be the worst version of themselves online. If you find the treatment you receive at a website intolerable then I strongly recommend not returning to that website. Little is likely to be accomplished at such a site, and if you don’t enjoy the experience then there are far better uses of your time in God’s service.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #17

Post by Realworldjack »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:55 pm This question is mainly for Christian apologists, but all are welcome to answer it, of course. Should apologists be more forgiving of those skeptics who have mistreated them in some way? I've been mistreated by atheists, and it's hard to be forgiving. I'm wondering how other apologists feel about this issue.
Should apologists be more forgiving of those skeptics who have mistreated them in some way?
I have been a member of this site for a good number of years now, and have had some horrendous things said about me, and what it is I believe as a Christian. However, I see no need to forgive these folks. Rather, I actually appreciate the fact they are honest enough to explain to me what they actually think of me, or what it is I believe.

My point is, I do not take offense to what they have to say, but rather attempt to discover if what they have to say, would indeed be true. If what they say would be true, then I am obligated to admit this to be the case. If however, I believe they are in error, I then attempt to engage them in order to demonstrate their error.

My point is, I do not understand why one would take offense to anything which would be said, because if what is said would be true, then there would be no need in being offended. If what is said would be false, then all one would need to do is to demonstrate how what was said, would be false. In other words, I see no need in bringing "feelings" into the equation.

otseng
Savant

Post #18

Post by otseng »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:31 pm Thanks a lot for the advice, but I'm still wondering what exactly it means to forgive. Obviously it doesn't mean to approve of the wrong. Does it mean to just overlook the wrong as if it never happened? If I do that, then I might make myself vulnerable to being wronged again.
Forgiveness doesn't mean approving the wrong. It doesn't mean overlooking it as if it never happened. And wrongs can happen to you again.

Forgiveness means to let go and release your feelings of anger, hatred, hurt, revenge, and bitterness. Cry out to God and give those feelings to him. You no longer bear the burden of those negative emotions, but God will bear them and carry out justice.
It might help if I explain what happened. In an "atheist" forum I asked some questions about the Bible in the subsection that dealt with issues related to Christianity. The atheists there started mocking me. One of them called me a "sneaky bastard."
Doesn't come too much of a surprise. You should not set yourself up by going to an atheist forum and talking about Jesus and expect not to get mocked. If even Jesus himself was mocked, why should you expect to not be mocked when talking about Jesus?

As for the forum here, we do not tolerate any personal attacks. People are free to debate issues, even with strong emotions. But once it crosses over to being personal, action will be taken. If you feel anyone is attacking you here, please use the report button to notify the moderators.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Realworldjack wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:26 amMy point is, I do not take offense to what they have to say, but rather attempt to discover if what they have to say, would indeed be true. If what they say would be true, then I am obligated to admit this to be the case. If however, I believe they are in error, I then attempt to engage them in order to demonstrate their error.
What would you say are some of the most common errors atheists make when debating apologetics? One error I've seen them make is to ridicule Christian beliefs as if doing so disproves those beliefs. This error is known as the "laughing jackass fallacy." Besides, if Christian beliefs are so ridiculous, then why do atheists spend so much time trying to discredit them?

Another practice atheists use to their detriment is to "toss out" accusations of fallacies hoping that at least one of them sticks on the Christian. Many atheists don't even seem to understand what those fallacies really are. If some apologetic isn't really a fallacy, then don't say it is.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:50 pm So even if you've been badly hurt by somebody, one prayer can relieve you of any bitterness over the wrong.
I find I have to continually give it to God.
How would you handle Jesus here? He spoke his mind.
Speaking one's mind is fine, but it would have to abide by the forum rules, even if the person claimed to be Jesus.