Does having faith mean not seeking knowledge?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Does having faith mean not seeking knowledge?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Recently someone said, when discussing knowledge, "It would have been much easier, less painful, to know by listening to God and by letting him explain it." Outside of God never explaining much of anything, it got my mind wondering if faith, itself, equates to (at least partial) lack of knowledge or the need to understand more.

A few things people don't know but accept by faith:
how God came to be
what God is
how God forgives
what lies beyond the reached of our universe
how God created all things - even things we don't know about yet
how can all of the earth save for one family be guilty enough to drown in a flood (even babies that were just being born - as it's a good assumptions that this was happening without the bible specifying)
why animals need to suffer for what people did and be drowned in the flood

The list can continue but this one is what I want to discuss:
Why did God not want Adam and Eve to eat from the knowledge of good and evil?
Christians say God doesn't want robots, but when Adam and Eve ate from the tree, they weren't acting like robots, but pure individuals. Yet, they (the story goes) condemned mankind for wanting to know the knowledge the tree held.
People could counter by saying they simple wanted to disobey God - they would have eaten from any tree - but because the bible points to this particular tree and its title or name, I don't believe it was simple rebellion.

God doesn't seem to want us to know more as outlined by this story of the tree, but he does want faith. So it seems, at least in part, God doesn't want us to know certain things and rely almost strictly on faith in him.
If that doesn't sound like robots..... :shock:

So what did that tree hold, exactly, that God didn't want them to know?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Does having faith mean not seeking knowledge?

Post #181

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brunumb wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:42 pm
chriss wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:33 am Having faith cannot mean not seeking knowledge since faith is an essential requirement in the search for knowledge.
Faith is the antithesis of knowledge.
Not faith as described in scripture, it isn,'t.
Biblical faith is believing in realities that we cannot at present see, based on the evidence that we can.

A genuine search for knowlege is looking for something that we at present do not have (see) and is based on the belief that finding is indeed possible. Indeed true scientific enquiry and invention is based on a similar belief that what is presently impossible can be done.

I think of the planets that have been discovered because the data pointed to them being there.

Biblical faith is simply taking knowledge and using it to take the next step.

JW

Did eating the fruit from the tree affect Adam and Eve's thinking?
viewtopic.php?p=1027919#p1027919

For further reading please go to other posts related to...

LOGIC , EVIDENCE and ... FAITH
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

chriss
Student

Post #182

Post by chriss »

William wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:42 pm
chriss wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:59 am
William wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:18 am [Replying to chriss in post #172]
If belief is irrelevant to determining reality, how can we determine what reality is? Please give an example of something that is real which is independent of one's belief that it is real.
Well if "consciousness" can be referred to as a "thing" then that would be the example I would give to answer your question. It is certainly real though.

So yes - "Consciousness" is how we determine what reality is, and in that we can only determine for sure, that the only "thing" which can be determined as real is Consciousness.
Actually, I think we may agree on this. My argument is that everything else apart from our consciousness has to be believed by faith. I am not sure whether you agree with that?
No of course not. This is because things are not ideas. Things are facts of matter.

Ideas are things which don't exist anywhere except in ones mind and the mind itself is not a thing but still interacts with that which is a thing...namely brains.

We know ideas exist because we consciouly experience them existing. But they don't exist as tangible until they are transferred into matter. Then we can study them as concepts and see if the concepts we come up with are real/realistic and go from there.

In any case I think that anything that consciousness experiences is what determines experience as being real and in that, faith is not required as far as I can tell - unless it has to do with concepts.

Also there is the element of alternate experience (such as oobe) in which consciouness experiences as real (and in many reported cases even "more real" than this physical reality" ) ...( and other than perhaps calling on higher powers to protect one while one is having said experience which is personal preference rather than standard requirement) but in all cases faith is not of any necessity in realtion to anything one experiences. We can experience realitie(s) without invoking faith to do so.

Where faith appears to be important might be in regard to how the one who has experienced alternate reality(s) decides to interpret their experience while having it and also when reporting it and whether those who read the report decide to accept the report as being true. Faith is then activated.
I can accept that there are times when the mind appears to come into contact with something real through an experience. Our definitions of faith are probably different here. Having had an experience then I would say that you need faith merely to accept a particular experience as a reality. It is only by faith that one can assume that our minds can actually think and perceive reality. Also assume that you have 5 different experiences of frogs and in each experience the frog is green. One might think that it is true that all frogs are green but one can only do this by faith. If one had an experience of a frog which is not green then one would abandon one's belief that all frogs are green but until that happens than one can keep believing (having faith) that all frogs are green. It is not possible to prove that all frogs are green since one would need to check every frog in the universe which is impossible, at least to be sure that have found them all.

For me, when I say that I have faith in God, it is more complicated involving a comparison of things which support belief in God against things which support believing there is no God, then choosing whether on balance I believe that God exists. Here I am exercising faith in my own judgement.

On the main question about whether having faith means not seeking knowledge, I still come out strongly against that idea. The more knowledge that one has the better one can make decisions as to what is true and false, right and wrong.

William
Savant

Post #183

Post by William »

[Replying to chriss in post #172]

I can accept that there are times when the mind appears to come into contact with something real through an experience. Our definitions of faith are probably different here. Having had an experience then I would say that you need faith merely to accept a particular experience as a reality.
I don't think faith is necessary in order to accept an experience as a reality. That makes no sense to me. Rather, one might require faith if one is conflicted in regard to devil/god ideas, wherein the experience had, one believes on faith to being from 'god' rather than 'devil' [and visa versa I suppose] but the experience itself did not require ones faith to have happen.

[The experience might have to do with ones beliefs in that it unfolds as one believes it should - but while faith and belief might be in the same category - one does not require faith either in order to experience something, or to record that experience .

It is only by faith that one can assume that our minds can actually think and perceive reality.
No. It is only through conscious awareness that one can think and perceive reality. In relation to the physical reality of being human, it also requires a physical form.
Also assume that you have 5 different experiences of frogs and in each experience the frog is green. One might think that it is true that all frogs are green but one can only do this by faith.
Which goes to show how limiting faith makes things. Even if in each experience the frog is green, why would you care to assume by that "all frogs must be green"?

If one had an experience of a frog which is not green then one would abandon one's belief that all frogs are green but until that happens than one can keep believing (having faith) that all frogs are green.
Personally I understand such type of thinking as wasteful. There was no reasonable reason to believe/assume anything. It is better just to accept that;
1: All the frogs one has experienced have been green.
2: A yellow frog was then experienced

Rather than assume things about the experience, just accept the experience as it reveals itself to you.
It is not possible to prove that all frogs are green since one would need to check every frog in the universe which is impossible, at least to be sure that have found them all.
It is not necessary to assume all frogs are green in the first place. Even if you have only ever experienced green frogs.
For me, when I say that I have faith in God, it is more complicated involving a comparison of things which support belief in God against things which support believing there is no God, then choosing whether on balance I believe that God exists. Here I am exercising faith in my own judgement.

I would say in relation to "God" (and assuming you mean Christian ideas about The Creator) you are exercising faith in other peoples mythologies and judging them acceptable to your understanding. Acceptable to place faith in.

I myself have examined the Middle Eastern ideas of gods and found those ideas unacceptable to my understanding, and potentailly dangerous to place faith in.
On the main question about whether having faith means not seeking knowledge, I still come out strongly against that idea.
I tend to agree. Faith does not prevent someone from seeking knowledge. What it does - I have observed - is dictate what knowledge one will accept and what knowledge one will reject.
The more knowledge that one has the better one can make decisions as to what is true and false, right and wrong.
It can work that way, but what is to say ones knowledge is correct on those subjects? So you are really arguing that one requires faith to believe that the partial knowledge one has, is correct.

Whereas, the process of science which also deals with partial knowledge regarding the physical, can make statements about that partial knowledge but does not rely on faith and within the process allows for the fact that more information will bring changes to the current understanding of the physical.

Faith on the other hand, makes no such allowances, so is more a device to retard/hide knowledge than it is a device to bring fuller knowledge out into the light.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #184

Post by Clownboat »

chriss wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:33 am
nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:30 am Recently someone said, when discussing knowledge, "It would have been much easier, less painful, to know by listening to God and by letting him explain it." Outside of God never explaining much of anything, it got my mind wondering if faith, itself, equates to (at least partial) lack of knowledge or the need to understand more.

A few things people don't know but accept by faith:
how God came to be
what God is
how God forgives
what lies beyond the reached of our universe
how God created all things - even things we don't know about yet
how can all of the earth save for one family be guilty enough to drown in a flood (even babies that were just being born - as it's a good assumptions that this was happening without the bible specifying)
why animals need to suffer for what people did and be drowned in the flood

The list can continue but this one is what I want to discuss:
Why did God not want Adam and Eve to eat from the knowledge of good and evil?
Christians say God doesn't want robots, but when Adam and Eve ate from the tree, they weren't acting like robots, but pure individuals. Yet, they (the story goes) condemned mankind for wanting to know the knowledge the tree held.
People could counter by saying they simple wanted to disobey God - they would have eaten from any tree - but because the bible points to this particular tree and its title or name, I don't believe it was simple rebellion.

God doesn't seem to want us to know more as outlined by this story of the tree, but he does want faith. So it seems, at least in part, God doesn't want us to know certain things and rely almost strictly on faith in him.
If that doesn't sound like robots..... :shock:

So what did that tree hold, exactly, that God didn't want them to know?
I have joined theis discussion at the end and I have not really dealt with the original question above. Having faith cannot mean not seeking knowledge since faith is an essential requirement in the search for knowledge. I am here not talking about faith in the Bible though I do have that. I am talking about faith in a more general sense. I would include the following in the list of things I have faith in:

I can think.
The laws of classical logic are valid.
Other people exist.
The earth exists.
There is an absolute truth though it is not possible to be certain we have attained it.
Scientists have a good idea about how the laws governing the earth work and are fairly trustworthy in that area.
Certain writers of religious, philosophical and historical works seem to me to have good ideas regarding the way human beings should live their lives. For me, the Bible is prominent here.
My own internal sense of what is right and wrong is valuable.
God wants us to seek knowledge in all its forms.

The questions about Adam and Eve are admittedly difficult. What God, Adam and Eve wanted are lost in the midst of time. It is difficult to determine what any individual might want, let alone God or people in a totally different situation from us.
Faith is a mechanism that is required to believe in things that are false.
Want to believe in Big Foot? Faith.
Nessy? Faith.
Allah? Faith.
Yahweh? Faith.

You don't actually have 'faith' that other people exist like you think you do. You have knowledge that people exist, therefore no faith is required.

Believing in unicorns or Jesus does require faith, that thing that is needed in order to believe in something false ironically.
Sure unicorns could be real and your faith belief could allow you to arrive at that conclusion, but to think that faith is a reliable mechanism for arriving at the truth of a claim is folly.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #185

Post by Clownboat »

chriss wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:57 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:13 am [Replying to chriss in post #173]

Thanks for the input.
What God, Adam and Eve wanted are lost in the midst of time.
I find that a difficulty. Why? Because, if it's included in the bible, it must be pertinent; it must be valuable. If it is, indeed, lost in the midst of time, why even include it at all? And what else in the bible is 'lost in the midst of time'? This idea of things 'being lost', if true, is problematic for both the bible and God. If God can't keep valuable ideas and their reasoning valid, God's not worth my time, at the very least. That's not 'god-like' to me. I suppose to some it's fine, however.
It is difficult to determine what any individual might want, let alone God or people in a totally different situation from us.
Perhaps, but not for God I'd wager.
I can make guesses but I cannot claim to know why God made Adam and Eve rather than not making them. I personally am glad he chose to do that or we would not have existed.

I am undecided whether the events in the Garden of Eden literally happened or whether it was a simpliified version which the hearers would be able to understand. My view is that God wanted people to do only good to each other but people, realising that they had been given a choice, chose to do evil to each other. The overall message of the Bible is, in my view, that God has made this world temporary by introducing death so that it can be followed by a world which is inhabited only by people who will only do good things to each other. The future world appears in every Christian creed and is in my view an essential belief for every Christian.

However, I repeat, that i am only guessing the mind of God. My guess is based upon my interpretation of information in the Bible. God has not told me directly what he is doing and why he is doing it. Also I do not believe that the Bible tells us what God was thinking when he made Adam and Eve. It only tells us what he did, not why he did it. I do believe that God knows what he is doing but I am afraid that I, in the main, do not really know. I have decided to trust him though.
To the bold, it seems as though you are trusting yourself and you have done so by giving yourself the authority of a god ('I trust in my conclusions because I trust in him' is assigning the authority to yourself). No god of any sort has been shown to be involved if we are being honest.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #186

Clownboat wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:31 pm

To the bold, it seems as though you are trusting yourself and you have done so by giving yourself the authority of a god ('I trust in my conclusions because I trust in him' is assigning the authority to yourself). No god of any sort has been shown to be involved if we are being honest.
Arguably trusting someone as the final authotity in what to believe, makes them your God. If that someone is yourself, you still have "a god".

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #187

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Arguably trusting someone as the final authotity in what to believe, makes them your God. If that someone is yourself, you still have "a god".

JW
If this is true, then you are your own god. You trust yourself as the final authority to decide what to believe. You've used your authority to believe what the JWs teach about God, life, etc. So you have two gods. Yourself first as the chief authority of what to believe and the JW's version of God as the second, the object of belief rather than authority on what to believe.

Either that or your above explanation is flawed.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #188

Tcg wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:51 pm ... You trust yourself as the final authority to decide what to believe. ...

Tcg

Unless you are employing your mind reading abilities, I cannot see how you can tell me who or what I trust as the final authotity as to what to believe. But yes, many people I have spoken to do indeed tell me they trust themselves as the final authority in this area, arguably making themselves their "god".

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #189

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:00 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:51 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:24 pm

JW
If this is true, then you are your own god. You trust yourself as the final authority to decide what to believe. You've used your authority to believe what the JWs teach about God, life, etc. So you have two gods. Yourself first as the chief authority of what to believe and the JW's version of God as the second, the object of belief rather than authority on what to believe.

Either that or your above explanation is flawed.

Tcg

Unless you are employing your mind reading abilities, I cannot see how you can tell me who or what I trust as the final authotity in what to believe.

JW
No mind reading needed. I'm applying the same logic you have above. Of course, as I have admitted that explanation may be flawed in which case my conclusion based on it would also be flawed.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #190

Tcg wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:04 pm Of course, as I have admitted that explanation may be flawed in which case my conclusion based on it would also be flawed.

Tcg

Fair enough. You can usually minimize your explanations being flawed by asking for rather than assuming the needed information for your premise.

JW