Christian ran business - should you support them or not?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Christian ran business - should you support them or not?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Companies get boycotted for various reasons (some legit others not so much). Business could also benefit, not only from their political POV, but their religious POV.
If you know of a Christian owned business*╤, does that make you more or less likely to shop there and support their chosen lifestyle and religious convictions?

Does it matter if you know of said business support Christian ideals or does simply knowing they're Christian enough to make you shop there (or skip altogether)?

* Defined here as a business owned by personally admitted Christians that support Christian ideals, socially, physically and economically .
╤ This could be any religion, but focusing on Christianity due to this forum
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Christian ran business - should you support them or not?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:55 am Companies get boycotted for various reasons (some legit others not so much). Business could also benefit, not only from their political POV, but their religious POV.
If you know of a Christian owned business*╤, does that make you more or less likely to shop there and support their chosen lifestyle and religious convictions?...
It makes me more likely to shop there. And also, if some shop is openly atheistic or antichristian, or anti-Jew, it makes me likely to avoid the shop.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:34 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:55 am Companies get boycotted for various reasons (some legit others not so much). Business could also benefit, not only from their political POV, but their religious POV.
If you know of a Christian owned business*╤, does that make you more or less likely to shop there and support their chosen lifestyle and religious convictions?...
It makes me more likely to shop there. And also, if some shop is openly atheistic or antichristian, or anti-Jew, it makes me likely to avoid the shop.
Just to see if I understand:
You're more likely to shop at Christian based businesses only if it benefits you at that time, but you actively and knowingly don't shop at anti-Christian/Jewish shops?

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

I once considered buying a My Pillow until I noticed its inventor/shill, Mike Lindell, displaying a cross on his chest.

Now, I don't care if the businesses I deal with are run or owned by Christians, but it grates against my sense of freedom from religion to be reminded of one every time its promoter appears on TV, which was A LOT!

Needless to say I never bought a My Pillow.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Difflugia »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:55 amIf you know of a Christian owned business*╤, does that make you more or less likely to shop there and support their chosen lifestyle and religious convictions?

Does it matter if you know of said business support Christian ideals or does simply knowing they're Christian enough to make you shop there (or skip altogether)?
I have no problem with Christian-owned businesses per se, even if they advertise it to some extent. I will avoid them, though, if they use any of their influence to restrict the freedoms of others. I won't shop at businesses if I know that they practice some form of employment discrimination or pressure employees to conform to some religious standard. I also won't patronize businesses that advocate regressive political positions. Hobby Lobby is an example of both.

Two local businesses that I do patronize are publicly Christian: a carryout fried chicken place and a book/gift store. The restauranteur in particular has a policy of hiring minorities, is a working manager, and is good to work for by pretty much all accounts.

bjs1
Sage

Post #6

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I don’t think it comes into play in a major way for me. In my experience, large corporations (like Hobby Lobby, where the owners claim Christian values) are far too quick to use faith to protect their bottom line.

I know a few local stores/restaurants which are run by Christians, and I am more likely to take my business there. However, to know that they are run by Christians I have to know the owner/manager, and the personal connection would probably be there even if the religious connection were not.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm ...You're more likely to shop at Christian based businesses only if it benefits you at that time, ...
I don’t say ”only if it benefits for me”.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:03 pm .

I once considered buying a My Pillow until I noticed its inventor/shill, Mike Lindell, displaying a cross on his chest.

Now, I don't care if the businesses I deal with are run or owned by Christians, but it grates against my sense of freedom from religion to be reminded of one every time its promoter appears on TV, which was A LOT!

Needless to say I never bought a My Pillow.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one that noticed this.
I also read he is a strict Trump supporter in time and money.

BarnabyJones

Post #9

Post by BarnabyJones »

I mostly care if the owners are good people. I will not shop in a place that is openly racist or anti-Jewish or strongly anti-something (unless that something is a bad thing like violence, being anti-violence is perfectly wonderful). I don't care about your religion as long as you are a good person. Unfortunately many people think that calling themselves Christians automatically makes them good. Well, no. Being Christian is about empathy, understanding, tolerance and forgiveness, and not crusading and hating people who have different views than you. So yeah if the Christian owners are simply good people I will support their business.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

BarnabyJones wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:14 am I mostly care if the owners are good people. I will not shop in a place that is openly racist or anti-Jewish or strongly anti-something (unless that something is a bad thing like violence, being anti-violence is perfectly wonderful). I don't care about your religion as long as you are a good person. Unfortunately many people think that calling themselves Christians automatically makes them good. Well, no. Being Christian is about empathy, understanding, tolerance and forgiveness, and not crusading and hating people who have different views than you. So yeah if the Christian owners are simply good people I will support their business.
Thank you for (your apparent fist) post & participating.
And welcome - hope you, like me, learn from this experience.