Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Apologetics & Illness

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Unless you live under a rock, then you're all aware that illness is a big factor in our lives. Even if you're very lucky and live free of illness, you probably know somebody who struggles with sickness. How can illness be explained within the context of Christianity? Why would a God allow sickness?

As far as I know, neither Jesus nor any of his apostles were ever said to be sick. None of them are described as blind, deaf, or lame. They did believe that various infirmities are caused by demons, and the cure was to cast the demons out. According to the gospel, these healing activities attracted great multitudes of people seeking delivery from their afflictions. So obviously illness was a major factor in the lives of those who were contemporaneous with Jesus.

One thing I've noticed about sickness is that it does not discriminate based on faith. It doesn't care what your beliefs are. That's why, for example, people gathering to worship is strongly discouraged due to the risk of Covid 19.

Miles
Savant

Re: Apologetics & Illness

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm Unless you live under a rock, then you're all aware that illness is a big factor in our lives. Even if you're very lucky and live free of illness, you probably know somebody who struggles with sickness. How can illness be explained within the context of Christianity? Why would a God allow sickness?
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why he creates evil.

One thing I've noticed about sickness is that it does not discriminate based on faith. It doesn't care what your beliefs are. That's why, for example, people gathering to worship is strongly discouraged due to the risk of Covid 19.
Yup there's no avoiding evil or illness. And if one considers god's omnipotence, it's obvious this is the way he wants it. Image

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Miles wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:52 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm Unless you live under a rock, then you're all aware that illness is a big factor in our lives. Even if you're very lucky and live free of illness, you probably know somebody who struggles with sickness. How can illness be explained within the context of Christianity? Why would a God allow sickness?
A long time ago I ran into the verse about God creating evil. Later I tried another Bible version which translates the passage: "I create mayhem." I can't see God creating evil, but his creating mayhem is not so problematical.
Yup there's no avoiding evil or illness. And if one considers god's omnipotence, it's obvious this is the way he wants it.
If God is omnipotent, then he can do all that is possible to do. If God cannot avoid evil or illness, then it may be impossible to avoid either one.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:52 pm
A long time ago I ran into the verse about God creating evil. Later I tried another Bible version which translates the passage: "I create mayhem." I can't see God creating evil, but his creating mayhem is not so problematical.
Hmmm. Some of the sources where god says he creates evil.

Isaiah 45:7

KJ21
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.

AMPC
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and I create evil; I am the Lord, Who does all these things.

ASV
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

BRG
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

DARBY
forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things.

DRA
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

GNV
I form the light, and create darkness:I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

JUB
I form the light and create darkness;I make peace and create evil: I am the LORD that does all this.

KJV
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

AKJV

LEB
I form light and I create darkness; I make peace and I create evil; I am Yahweh; I do all these things.

WYC
forming light, and making darknesses, making peace, and forming evil; I am the Lord, doing all these things.

YLT
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I [am] Jehovah, doing all these things.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Paul of Tarsus in post #1]
How can illness be explained within the context of Christianity? Why would a God allow sickness?
I was taught about excuses for God. God didn't create ANYTHING bad or wrong. That was created by mankind sinning (which God obviously knew would happen and could have prevented that, but my 'teachers' never addressed this issue).
As far as I know, neither Jesus nor any of his apostles were ever said to be sick. None of them are described as blind, deaf, or lame.
That's a good and interesting point. I wonder what the % was of sick to healthy people in that time?
One thing I've noticed about sickness is that it does not discriminate based on faith.
Well, that's because faith only requires a mind for it to exist. Meaning anyone with even a partially working mind can have faith in anything they want. I wouldn't expect faith to do anything other than exist within a certain sect of a population, personally.
That's why, for example, people gathering to worship is strongly discouraged due to the risk of Covid 19.
Yes but God will protect them! And they get sick, they make excuses that allow them and their faith to save face
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm Unless you live under a rock, then you're all aware that illness is a big factor in our lives. Even if you're very lucky and live free of illness, you probably know somebody who struggles with sickness. How can illness be explained within the context of Christianity? Why would a God allow sickness?...
Because Adam and Eve rejected God, people have been expelled to this world where we can see what evil truly means. I believe the reason why God allows this lesson is that we would know what it means to be without God (good).

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 pm A long time ago I ran into the verse about God creating evil. Later I tried another Bible version which translates the passage: "I create mayhem." I can't see God creating evil, but his creating mayhem is not so problematical.
This is a common approach in apologetics whether it is dealing with illness or other problematic subjects. Rather than seeking the most accurate translation, a search for one that makes God seem slightly less monstrous begins and when found the apologist settles on it regardless of its accuracy.

Of course the fact is that if God is omnipotent, as some claim, he would of course be the creator of all including evil. If he is less than omnipotent there is no reason to call him God.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm As far as I know, neither Jesus nor any of his apostles were ever said to be sick. None of them are described as blind, deaf, or lame.
The apostle Paul of Tarsus refers to a long term ailment he suffered with as a "thorn in the flesh." This clearly refers to some physical ailment. As is the case so often with the bible, no clear indication of the specifics are ever given and to this day Christians have failed to reach any agreement as to what it may have been.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pmHow can illness be explained within the context of Christianity? Why would a God allow sickness?
You've previously referred to yourself as a Christian apologist. How do you view the problem and what would be your advice to someone dealing with this particular doubt?

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Miles wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:37 pm Hmmm. Some of the sources where god says he creates evil.

Isaiah 45:7

KJ21
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.

AMPC
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and I create evil; I am the Lord, Who does all these things.

ASV
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

BRG

DARBY
forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things.

DRA
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

GNV
I form the light, and create darkness:I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

JUB
I form the light and create darkness;I make peace and create evil: I am the LORD that does all this.

KJV

AKJV

LEB
I form light and I create darkness; I make peace and I create evil; I am Yahweh; I do all these things.

WYC
forming light, and making darknesses, making peace, and forming evil; I am the Lord, doing all these things.

YLT
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I [am] Jehovah, doing all these things.

Here's what the NRSV says (Isaiah 45:7):
I form light and create darkness,
I make weal and create woe;
I the Lord do all these things.
So at least this passage tells us that God didn't really create evil. He has created "woe." This revelation fits the topic of the OP because illness is a kind of woe.