Dangerous Christianity

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Dangerous Christianity

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Some churches around the country were defying COVID related safety demands (Grace community church in Sun Valley springs to mind).
Some claim Christianity is not good for the mind of young, impressionable minds
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... m-children
Some churches teach blind faith, but less faith in God and more faith in the church leaders (Jonestown, Guyana)
Many churches teach "God needs you to give me your money" (Creflo Dollar is notorious for this) even during times of unemployment, people on fixed incomes and so on.

It must be said, not all Christian churches are guilty of these types of atrocities. And YES, most any religion could fit this bill. But this isn't an 'any religion' section of the forum, now is it?
But the fact remains: a belief system that's as influential as Christianity, can, in the right (wrong?) hands become something to be feared - rallied against even.

Or is it all part of God's great plan, and we should do little to nothing about it?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Dangerous Christianity

Post #41

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 am ....This is, as some claim, a problem with Christianity: you can do just about ANYTHING and, if you're sorry for it later, you get forgiven AND passage to heaven when there are others that try to believe, but can't, and (according to some) don't get in to heaven.
I think that is false Christianity. Bible promises eternal life for righteous. Obviously, there is room for forgiveness, but it does not work so that nothing really matters, if you just shout sorry in the end.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Matt. 7:21

Many “Christians” will be disappointed in the end, if they think shouting empty words was the point.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:13 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 am ....This is, as some claim, a problem with Christianity: you can do just about ANYTHING and, if you're sorry for it later, you get forgiven AND passage to heaven when there are others that try to believe, but can't, and (according to some) don't get in to heaven.
I think that is false Christianity. Bible promises eternal life for righteous. Obviously, there is room for forgiveness, but it does not work so that nothing really matters, if you just shout sorry in the end.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Matt. 7:21

Many “Christians” will be disappointed in the end, if they think shouting empty words was the point.
I think those that believe this way would say they're right and you're wrong. Who knows, really? But this concept is taught as Christianity within Christianity, as well as 'once saved always saved'.
To me, all Christianity is man made and should be see that way. This includes the Christian god as well.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #9]
I am Jehovahs Witneses: I take it (correct me if I am wrong) you are not saying ALL Jehovahs Witneses are "dangerous or toxic" or suggesting our official teachings can thus be described.
Everyone one I've met, absolutely.

Avoice
Guru

Post #44

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

You don't find Jews collecting money on the Sabbath. They don't "pass the plate".
When Christians read the story of Jesus chasing away the money changers they should be ashamed of themselves. They are the ones collecting money. Not the Jews. The Jews reach out formally once a year. Never on the Sabbath. Never

I mean c' mon Christians...there's even a story about tipping over the tables. Yet you bring money to your Sunday preachin' as if it's to be admired. You pass the plate and have the nerve to say praise the lord.

Tcg
Savant

Post #45

Post by Tcg »

Avoice wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:32 am The Jews reach out formally once a year. Never on the Sabbath. Never
As if that makes a difference:
Churches Versus Synagogues: Voluntary Donations Versus Dues

Christian churches and Jewish synagogues rely on very different financing models, yet both “appear to raise about the same amount per member,” according to a survey conducted by?the Jewish newspaper The Forward (article by Josh Nathan-Kazis). While synagogue members pay annual dues, churches rely primarily on voluntary donations from members.

https://freakonomics.com/2010/10/19/chu ... rsus-dues/
Money is collected to support each religious machine. The method used to do so is irrelevant.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:54 pm
Avoice wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:32 am The Jews reach out formally once a year. Never on the Sabbath. Never
As if that makes a difference:
Churches Versus Synagogues: Voluntary Donations Versus Dues

Christian churches and Jewish synagogues rely on very different financing models, yet both “appear to raise about the same amount per member,” according to a survey conducted by?the Jewish newspaper The Forward (article by Josh Nathan-Kazis). While synagogue members pay annual dues, churches rely primarily on voluntary donations from members.

https://freakonomics.com/2010/10/19/chu ... rsus-dues/
Money is collected to support each religious machine. The method used to do so is irrelevant.

Tcg
Naw now, that's God atesting him a couple different approaches to his financing troubles.

He can create entire universes, he just can't manage his money. (with pologies to Carlin)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin