Dangerous Christianity

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Dangerous Christianity

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Some churches around the country were defying COVID related safety demands (Grace community church in Sun Valley springs to mind).
Some claim Christianity is not good for the mind of young, impressionable minds
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... m-children
Some churches teach blind faith, but less faith in God and more faith in the church leaders (Jonestown, Guyana)
Many churches teach "God needs you to give me your money" (Creflo Dollar is notorious for this) even during times of unemployment, people on fixed incomes and so on.

It must be said, not all Christian churches are guilty of these types of atrocities. And YES, most any religion could fit this bill. But this isn't an 'any religion' section of the forum, now is it?
But the fact remains: a belief system that's as influential as Christianity, can, in the right (wrong?) hands become something to be feared - rallied against even.

Or is it all part of God's great plan, and we should do little to nothing about it?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

heistrue
Student

Re: Dangerous Christianity

Post #2

Post by heistrue »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:16 pm Some churches around the country were defying COVID related safety demands (Grace community church in Sun Valley springs to mind).
Some churches teach blind faith, but less faith in God and more faith in the church leaders (Jonestown, Guyana)
Many churches teach "God needs you to give me your money" (Creflo Dollar is notorious for this) even during times of unemployment, people on fixed incomes and so on.

It must be said, not all Christian churches are guilty of these types of atrocities. And YES, most any religion could fit this bill. But this isn't an 'any religion' section of the forum, now is it?
But the fact remains: a belief system that's as influential as Christianity, can, in the right (wrong?) hands become something to be feared - rallied against even.

Or is it all part of God's great plan, and we should do little to nothing about it?
Good post and sadly mostly all true ( not saying you are wrong, saying many churches are true to Scripture )
The Pope is descerating the " Holy " place.. Not for what it is but what it is SUPPOSED TO BE! The True Church of God.. which is is not.
Any way, far too many people just simply do not understand the Word of God as being the actual Word of God and that we all come under His teachings.
I believe that we must look at the Word of God - Bible as Gods love letter to all mankind. Gods Word is given to us for our SALVATION first and foremost. No one can be SAVED if they do NOT know, 1. that we ALL need to be saved and 2. HOW to claim/be saved and by whom our salvation is in/by. This is pointed in Romans 10...
How many of us here,debating here, have had their adult baptism and confessed Yeshua as our very own Lord ( to obey ) and Saviour ( Messiah ) ?

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Considering all the suffering god has purposely saddled people with and has chosen not to alleviate, I can only conclude he enjoys it all. As for we, his puppets, doing something about it, I fail to see how. Right now we have 8% (26,000,000 yahoos) of the US population supporting the recent attack on the US Capitol.
source

So don't see any change in the works.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I do not believe True Christianity is dangerous but up building and positive. Apostate Christianity however has proven to be mostly toxic and destructive.

JEHOVAHS WITNESES do not get involves in the world violent struggle, we point to God's Kingdom as the only solution to mankind's problems.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Do Jehovah's Witnesses support any governments?
viewtopic.php?p=1025637#p1025637

Should Christians engage in politics?
viewtopic.php?p=952643#p952643
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

heistrue
Student

Post #5

Post by heistrue »

heistrue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:16 pm Some churches around the country were defying COVID related safety demands (Grace community church in Sun Valley springs to mind).

Good post and sadly mostly all true ( not saying you are wrong, saying many churches are true to Scripture )
The Pope is descerating the " Holy " place.. Not for what it is but what it is SUPPOSED TO BE! The True Church of God.. which is is not.
Any way, far too many people just simply do not understand the Word of God as being the actual Word of God and that we all come under His teachings.
I believe that we must look at the Word of God - Bible as Gods love letter to all mankind. Gods Word is given to us for our SALVATION first and foremost. No one can be SAVED if they do NOT know, 1. that we ALL need to be saved and 2. HOW to claim/be saved and by whom our salvation is in/by. This is pointed in Romans 10...
How many of us here,debating here, have had their adult baptism and confessed Yeshua as our very own Lord ( to obey ) and Saviour ( Messiah ) ?
Great post. How ever, what you term " dangerous " Christianity is NOT Christianity at all if it is " dangerous " ( true followers of Yeshua ) at all. I do get your meaning though.
Healing, yes God gave us Healing, it is right there in Scripture and it the thing that the Lord Yeshua did the most of, ( well apart from preaching salvation I suppose ).. BTW, the word christ is from Greek and what has that got to do with Gods Word..
Isa 53: 3 People despised and avoided him, a man of pains, well acquainted with illness. Like someone from whom people turn their faces, he was despised; we did not value him.
4 In fact, it was our diseases he bore, our pains from which he suffered; yet we regarded him as punished, stricken and afflicted by God.
5 But he was wounded because of our crimes, crushed because of our sins; the disciplining that makes us whole fell on him, and by his bruises we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet ADONAI laid on him the guilt of all of us. Or: and in fellowship with him
7 Though mistreated, he was submissive - he did not open his mouth. Like a lamb led to be slaughtered, like a sheep silent before its shearers, he did not open his mouth.
8 After forcible arrest and sentencing, he was taken away; and none of his generation protested his being cut off from the land of the living for the crimes of my people, who deserved the punishment themselves.

1 Pe 2:
22 "He committed no sin, nor was any deceit found on his lips."
23 When he was insulted, he didn't retaliate with insults; when he suffered, he didn't threaten, but handed them over to him who judges justly.
24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the stake, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness - by his wounds you were healed.
25 For you used to be like sheep gone astray, but now you have turned to the Shepherd, who watches over you.

as I have pointed out 2 issues form the Word of God are never preached these so called, enlightened days/time, they are SALVATION! and HEALING! Why do you think that this is so ?
JWs never mention these, Mormons never mention them, RC are never taught, ( they pay money to priests for their loved ones to be healed, sic! ) 7th Day Adventists never teach Healing Salvation... Blessings to you all,

heistrue
Student

Post #6

Post by heistrue »

heistrue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm

well, maybe if you ask them why, then maybe they will tell you that they actually believe in Gods healing...but yes, we are all supposed to obey legal directions from the Authorities and the Government I do unerstand that well.. ( by His suffering we are healed, He took all our sicknesses upon himself on the cross, etc ).

brunumb
Savant

Post #7

Post by brunumb »

heistrue wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:20 am ( by His suffering we are healed, He took all our sicknesses upon himself on the cross, etc )
Actually, there is no sign of any of that being true. he didn't really change anything and the world is mostly the same in terms of sickness and suffering. All we have are allegations of salvation and promises that are a dime a dozen.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 pm I do not believe True Christianity is dangerous but up building and positive. Apostate Christianity however has proven to be mostly toxic and destructive.

JEHOVAHS WITNESES do not get involves in the world violent struggle, we point to God's Kingdom as the only solution to mankind's problems.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Do Jehovah's Witnesses support any governments?
viewtopic.php?p=1025637#p1025637

Should Christians engage in politics?
viewtopic.php?p=952643#p952643
This person, at least, seems to disagree
https://www.quora.com/Are-Jehovah-s-Wit ... r-religion
Here's one that reports abusive happenings within JW organization
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 14966.html
This one seems to think JWs have lower income based on their lack of education

These two seem to thinks JWs are dangerous
http://www.wordsfitlyspoken.org/gospel_ ... n25p5.html
https://smalltownhumanist.org/part-two- ... witnesses/

Every organization, with enough people, will have bad apples. But seems even JWs are toxic in many ways.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:39 pm
These two seem to thinks JWs are dangerous....But seems even JWs are toxic in many ways.
I am Jehovahs Witneses: I take it (correct me if I am wrong) you are not saying ALL Jehovahs Witneses are "dangerous or toxic" or suggesting our official teachings can thus be described.

DOES THE EXISTENCE OF "BAD APPLE" JEHOVAHS WITNESES PROVE THEY CANNOT BE THE TRUE RELIGION ?

Even Jesus "bad apple" followers. Still his Apostles (one 12th of whom proved unfaithful) as a group, provided the basis of true Christianity. Biblically what Jesus started cannot be destroyed so True Christianity must still exist today in this 21st century. The point? God will deal with "bad apples" if the Police and secular legal system do not do so first. The existence of individuals that do not prove loyal to the tenets of the faith does not discredit those that do. The Apostles were true "Christians", Judas (and those like him) were traitors to that faith.

CONCLUSION True Christianity can be identified as being as it reflect the teachings and standards as established by Christ and first century Christians. The existence of "bad apples" within it does not disqualify it any more than Judas disqualified Jesus from being the Messiah.

JW

Do Jehovah's Witnesses have higher than average instances of child sexual abuse?
viewtopic.php?p=912077#p912077

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SEX, SIN and ...CHILD ABUSE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:17 amI am Jehovahs Witneses: I take it (correct me if I am wrong) you are not saying ALL Jehovahs Witneses are "dangerous or toxic" or suggesting our official teachings can thus be described.
Whether nobspeople is saying so or not, I'll say that at least some of the Watchtower Society's official teachings are dangerous and toxic.

For one thing, the organization officially discourages higher education, denigrating education as merely a path to "high-paying and prestigious jobs" in contrast to the more praiseworthy desire to serve the organization.

The "study edition" of The Watchtower magazine is considered official teaching and is used as a sort of liturgical guide for the Sunday meetings. On June 11, 2018, every Jehovah's Witness attending a meeting read the following two paragraphs from the April, 2018 The Watchtower:
The counsel by Peter also applies to more serious aspects of life, such as a person’s choice of education, employment, or career. For example, young people in school today are under much pressure to qualify for enrollment in elite institutions of higher education. They are led to believe that advanced education opens the door to high-paying and prestigious jobs, and statistics are often presented to show the gap in earnings between graduates from such institutions and those who completed only basic schooling. Faced with choices that can deeply affect their entire life course, young people may find all of this very enticing. What should they and their parents bear in mind?

Some individuals may feel that since choices in these matters are personal, they should have the freedom to choose what they please as long as their conscience permits it. Perhaps they have in mind Paul’s words to the Corinthian Christians about food: “Why should my freedom be judged by another person’s conscience?” (1 Cor. 10:29) While it is true that we have the freedom to make personal choices regarding our education and career, we need to remember that our freedom is relative and that all decisions we make have consequences. For that reason, Paul prefaced his statement with these words: “All things are lawful [or, “permissible,” ftn.], but not all things are advantageous. All things are lawful, but not all things build up.” (1 Cor. 10:23) That certainly helps us to see that there are far more important factors to consider than our own preferences when it comes to exercising personal freedom in all aspects of our life.