Favorite arguments AGAINST your position

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rational Atheist
Student

Favorite arguments AGAINST your position

Post #1

Post by Rational Atheist »

Theists: if any argument could theoretically convince you to be an atheist, what would it be?

Same question to atheist about theism.

For me, the fine tuning argument is my favorite theistic argument because I think it's the only one that actually raises legitimate and interesting questions about the universe.

William
Savant

Re: Favorite arguments AGAINST your position

Post #2

Post by William »

Rational Atheist wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:35 pm Theists: if any argument could theoretically convince you to be an atheist, what would it be?

For me, the fine tuning argument is my favorite theistic argument because I think it's the only one that actually raises legitimate and interesting questions about the universe.
I think that if science could verify with certainty that we cannot possibly be existing within a Creation [reality simulation], then I would be able to cease being an agnostic.
(I am an agnostic theist)

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Rational Atheist wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:35 pm Theists: if any argument could theoretically convince you to be an atheist, what would it be?

(An atheist here) Convincing evidence.

John Bauer
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by John Bauer »

One that doesn't involve begging the question against my view, which doesn't seem to exist yet (i.e., every argument against my view that I have encountered involves a question-begging move). When someone formulates such an argument, I would find it compelling.
"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act
in accordance with the dictates of reason."
— Oscar Wilde.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all
argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle
is contempt prior to investigation."
— William Paley.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

As a former Christian, but still not an atheist, I'd want - correction I STILL WANT - proof of God that would satisfy my own judgement, not someone else's.
Been waiting for decades and still waiting.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!