Biblical opinion and facts.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Biblical opinion and facts.

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

When reading the bible, how does one separate the opinion of the author from facts?
Is there a sure proof way to do this, or is it based on one's personal experience and opinion?

If there isn't a sure proof way, how can one person (let's call him Bill) how another person to Bill's opinion about a particular biblical verse or story?
In other words, if Bill knows this story means ABC, but someone else disagrees, does Bill have the right to hold the other person accountable to what Bill knows the story means?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Biblical opinion and facts.

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 am ...
In other words, if Bill knows this story means ABC, but someone else disagrees, does Bill have the right to hold the other person accountable to what Bill knows the story means?
Why would Bible not mean what it directly says? I think Bible explains itself well, there is no need for own explanations. If Bill says Bible means actually something else than what is written, I think others don’t have to accept it. If person is a disciple of Jesus (=”Christian”), his loyalty is for Jesus, not for Bill.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #2]
Why would Bible not mean what it directly says?
Because meaning is up to the individual. Otherwise, all Christians would agree on everything. And that isn't happening.
If Bill says Bible means actually something else than what is written, I think others don’t have to accept it.
Who decides what's written? Or does everyone agrees on the same thing written?
If person is a disciple of Jesus (=”Christian”), his loyalty is for Jesus, not for Bill.
What if Bill is a disciple of Jesus as well, yet another disciple doesn't agree with Bill? Who is right?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Difflugia »

1213 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 amWhy would Bible not mean what it directly says?
Because if the Bible means what it says, then Judas suffered two different deaths. Since that's impossible if the whole Bible is true, someone has to explain why it doesn't really say that.

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 am Why would Bible not mean what it directly says? I think Bible explains itself well, there is no need for own explanations. If Bill says Bible means actually something else than what is written, I think others don’t have to accept it.
Does that mean that you regard everything written in the Bible as literally true, except where it specifically says otherwise?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:20 pm ...Does that mean that you regard everything written in the Bible as literally true, except where it specifically says otherwise?
I think it is literally true in the way it itself explains the matter. For example, if it is a parable, Bible tells so and explains what it means. Or if there is figurative speech, I think Bible also gives the correct meaning to that.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:15 am ... then Judas suffered two different deaths. ....
That is not true. Bible doesn’t say so.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Difflugia »

1213 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am
Difflugia wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:15 am... then Judas suffered two different deaths. ....
That is not true. Bible doesn’t say so.
It sure does.

Matthew 27:3-5:
Then Judas, who betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, saying, "I have sinned in that I betrayed innocent blood." But they said, "What is that to us? See to it yourself." And he cast down the pieces of silver into the sanctuary, and departed; and he went away and hanged himself.
Acts 1:18-19:
(Now this man obtained a field with the reward of his iniquity and falling headlong, he burst apart in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. And it became known to all the dwellers at Jerusalem; such that in their language that field was called Akeldama, that is, "The field of blood.")

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 am When reading the bible, how does one separate the opinion of the author from facts?
Is there a sure proof way to do this, or is it based on one's personal experience and opinion?

If there isn't a sure proof way, how can one person (let's call him Bill) how another person to Bill's opinion about a particular biblical verse or story?
The Bible writers were all inspired by God to write what they wrote, so they wrote of the facts and not mere opinion. This doctrine is based on faith, and as far as I know there is no proof for it. Of course, different people interpret scripture differently, and that's where opinion may come into play.

I'm not sure what you mean by holding a person "accountable" to the true meaning of a Bible story, but throughout the history of the Christian religion many have been branded heretics and persecuted. These supposed heretics often espoused interpretations of scripture that run counter to established orthodoxy.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:14 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 am When reading the bible, how does one separate the opinion of the author from facts?

The Bible writers were all inspired by God to write what they wrote, so they wrote of the facts and not mere opinion. This doctrine is based on faith, and as far as I know there is no proof for it. Of course, different people interpret scripture differently, and that's where opinion may come into play.

I'm not sure what you mean by holding a person "accountable" to the true meaning of a Bible story, but throughout the history of the Christian religion many have been branded heretics and persecuted. These supposed heretics often espoused interpretations of scripture that run counter to established orthodoxy.
Thank you for the reply. By 'held accountable' I mean, in this case, does Bill have the right to tell the other person they are wrong and he is right.
In regards to inspiration, anyone can be inspired by anything. Or nothing. If one claims 'God inspired me', isn't faith that would make another believe them or not?
Additionally, the Gospels tend to have different views of the same story
The women reported the resurrection to the men (Matt. 28:8);
The women did not report the resurrection to the men (Mark 16:8).; some containing parts others don't.

https://zondervanacademic.com/blog/bibl ... -explained.

That doesn't strike me as fact, but opinion (at beast). That is, of course, assuming they were able to understand what God was telling them.