All in agreement

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

All in agreement

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Back in the day, when I was a wee lad, the preacher in the church I attended left without a permanent replacement. The board interviewed a few candidates and, eventually, filtered them out to two individuals. The board had to vote which one to offer the position. I remember something one of the board members, Scott, said to this day. He said, something to the like of:
"If we're in Christ, we will all vote the same way. It will either be all YES or all NO, but we all will vote the same."

Is that something, IYO, that is not only feasible but likely? Should all governing bodies of said church be so in tune with God that they will all agree (or disagree) on the same items that involve the church and its teaching/mission?

If so, does that negate their free will?

I God doesn't interact to make them all agree, does that mean God plays the majority? Or that whatever they're deciding isn't important enough?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: All in agreement

Post #21

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #21]
You for example are a member of the forum, if this forum protected wrongdoing would you still be a member?
Good question. I suppose it depends on what the 'wrong doing' was.
I'm sure you are not acccusing Jehovah's Witnesses of doing such things. Or are you?
There is a thread I started with a (lengthy) clip of a JW family doing just that for discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37980

I've seen other groups do it, including the groups I've listed.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:57 pm
I'm sure you are not acccusing Jehovah's Witnesses of doing such things. Or are you?
There is a thread I started with a (lengthy) clip of a JW family doing just that for discussion.
I hope if that was the case they were bought to justice. But my question was regarding our organisation.

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:41 pm
any "organization" .. that encourages family to break ties with ones' family for not following in said organization's practices...
Do you have evidence our encourages families to break ties with fother family members just because they are non-Witnesses*?

* I would certainly break ties with anyone even if they were a member of my own family if that person were to put me or those under my protection in serious physical, mental or moral danger.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , MARRIAGE and ... SHUNNING
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brunumb
Savant

Post #23

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:48 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:41 pm In regards to the direction: IF an organization protects those that did wrong, I question any positive direction said organization was headed, is headed and or will be heading.
I agree! I certainly wouldn't want to be part of such an organisation, which is why I'm one of Jehovahs Witneses. You for example are a member of the forum, if this forum protected wrongdoing would you still be a member?
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:41 pm Additionally, any "organization" (JWs, Scientology, Amish for examples, though this is not an exhaustive list by any means) that encourages family to break ties with ones' family for not following in said organization's practices, I also question any positive movement in that organization's movement.
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm sure you are not acccusing Jehovah's Witnesses of being such an organisation. Or are you?
A little research will show that there is enough evidence to say that such accusations aimed at the The Watchtower are not unfounded.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

brunumb wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:58 pm A little research will show that there is enough evidence to say that such accusations aimed at the The Watchtower are not unfounded.
I hazard a guess I have done more research on this question than anyone casting innuendo in this thread or on this forum. I thank you any way for your very insightful and deeply researched one sentence.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:48 pmif this forum protected wrongdoing would you still be a member?
I know this question wasn't for me, but it's a good one. How much can one bad apple spoil the bunch insofar as who you ought not to associate with, given the choice?

I'd be very sad to leave this place if Osteng played favourites and, for example, let one member get away with hurling blatant insults at others, though usually this sort of favouritism takes the form of one person everyone else is allowed to pick on. I worry that religious people aren't being given perfect fairness, but this is still the fairest forum I've ever been on, so much so that I worry it's too good to be true. I've been on some very nasty forums.

Personally my bar is adjusted by the mean. I don't know whether that's right or not but if I was going to be a member of a church, I might not leave at the first scandal, because I know how the Catholics are, so I'd be asking myself how much worse I could have it.

As far as this forum and protecting wrongdoing, if it was my wrongdoing being protected, I'd leave immediately. If the wrong being protected was racism I'd leave immediately. Otherwise, to be perfectly honest, I would have to assess what I'd be giving up and whether giving it up would even do anyone any good.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #23]
But my question was regarding our organisation. Do you have evidence our encourages families to break ties with fother family members just because they are non-Witnesses?

Thought I answered that, in part, with the link provided as it speaks to the JW organization doing just that (assuming that's the organization in which you're a part).

Savant

Post #27

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 pm ...But surely others would be impacted by those different paths. Is that part of God's plan or are they collateral damage, as it were?
I believe God’s paths are not the reason for damage.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #28

1213 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:30 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:53 pm ...Do you think he leads to the same direction all at one, or over time? In other words, a group of people are all led to the same end result at the same time, or over time?
I think generally the same direction every time. And the problem is really in do people follow/listen to really God or not.

But, it may also be possible in some case that there are different paths intentionally. For example, should two disciples go to same town or to different towns. I don’t think the difference would be for example in questions like is murder wrong or not.
I agree. There has to be a degree of organisation and coordination to ensure harmonisation. I think however the unity Christians must maintain means more than agreement on murder and such universal fundementals.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 pm ...But surely others would be impacted by those different paths. Is that part of God's plan or are they collateral damage, as it were?
I believe God’s paths are not the reason for damage.
So God puts forth some type of plan for one person's life - let's call her Murene. Murene impacts dozens of others. You're saying nothing that nothing Murene did that was a result of God's plan for her, harms anyone else?
That doesn't seem to jive with Adam and Eve in the Garden, if God's plan was for them to sin and create inherited sin (as some believe) for mankind, which cause God to send his son as a sacrifice (again, as many believe).
So it's not God's plan that any harm comes to anyone?

brunumb
Savant

Post #30

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:35 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:58 pm A little research will show that there is enough evidence to say that such accusations aimed at the The Watchtower are not unfounded.
I hazard a guess I have done more research on this question than anyone casting innuendo in this thread or on this forum. I thank you any way for your very insightful and deeply researched one sentence.

JW
And I hazard a guess that had you done as much research as I have, then you would have reached the same conclusion that I have.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.