If God was the Devil, How Would You Know?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

If God was the Devil, How Would You Know?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Questions for debate: If the more powerful being were the evil, and the rebel the good, how would you know this? What clues would you look for? Would it even be possible to glean such knowledge in a universe where the evil being is omnipotent and controls all? Is it a nonsense question because a being that was truly all-powerful would have every authority and power to set up the rules for good and evil and simply favour itself?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: If God was the Devil, How Would You Know?

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am Questions for debate: If the more powerful being were the evil, and the rebel the good, how would you know this? What clues would you look for? Would it even be possible to glean such knowledge in a universe where the evil being is omnipotent and controls all? Is it a nonsense question because a being that was truly all-powerful would have every authority and power to set up the rules for good and evil and simply favour itself?
I have asked this question for YEARS!!! It's good to see someone bring it up here. I find it hopeful, but not entirely logical to assume that "good always winds over evil" and or say "God is good and Satan is evil". Assuming these beings are real: sure this might be true. But it might also NOT be true. We wouldn't know unless we take what certain others have said as fact. The only way we have of verifying this is our own lives. And it seems that, while 'good' is powerful, 'evil' sure seems to be in control of the world.
Going beyond that, it seems to me, based on the story of the Garden of Eden, Satan is the one that wanted human kind to know things God was keeping from us. Sure there may be deceit in there on Satan's part, but on the surface (which is what we have) it sure seems, to me, God was hiding something while Satan was wanting us to know what that something was.
We can dig deep in to meaning and what God was keeping us from, etc, but in reality we don't know. All we know, based on the story, if God didn't want us to know something (even though he created us with a curious mind - aka FREE WILL) and got a bee in his bonnet when we went looking to satisfy our curious mind, all the while knowing that this would happen - going as far as (seemingly) allowing Satan in the mix to tempt!
What's God hiding, exactly?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:53 amWhat's God hiding, exactly?
That's he's evil? Or maybe even that he's just playing the part of evil. Aslan and Tash are one.

What if the right thing is to say, "No, I will absolutely not accept someone else's sacrifice for my sins."?

It's a thing that doesn't want you to say it. It's a thing that doesn't want to be asked.

This is a thing that certainly is not true if it's all just stories. If the writers didn't intend it, what we have is a mere fan theory and it's just wrong no matter how well it fits. The only concern is if these beings actually exist.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:12 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:53 amWhat's God hiding, exactly?
That's he's evil? Or maybe even that he's just playing the part of evil.

Maybe. We'd never know here. But based on some of the OT stories, he seems to have a big ego and a serious attitude problem.
But people just breeze on past it making excusing and, oft, ignoring them altogether.
Assuming (for example) a global flood happened by God, I find it almost entirely impossible for EVERY creature to be bad except for a family that built a boat.
But if you accept a global flood brought by God you can accept anything I suppose.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am Questions for debate: If the more powerful being were the evil, and the rebel the good, how would you know this? What clues would you look for? Would it even be possible to glean such knowledge in a universe where the evil being is omnipotent and controls all? Is it a nonsense question because a being that was truly all-powerful would have every authority and power to set up the rules for good and evil and simply favour itself?
I think the one who is good is the one who does the good things. And by what the Bible tells, God is the good. But, good and bad can be subjective matter and it is possible that you think God is not good. It is possible to give own meanings to words and make the matter unclear. But still, I am on the side of the God that is introduced in the Bible as the one and only true God, because I think He is good.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:30 pmBut if you accept a global flood brought by God you can accept anything I suppose.
I can accept the fantastical, especially in the context of a story.

Anything could have happened, and it may even be likely that in a multiverse, everything that is possible in fact does happen. As Jimmy Buffet says, it's Five O'clock somewhere.

That leaves the flat logically impossible. That's the rare bird: The thing that doesn't happen because it can't.

That's the journey, that's the expedition. Turn your bright ship in that direction and perhaps truth can be found.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #5]
But, good and bad can be subjective matter
With God, is this true? If God kills people (which he has) does that mean what he did was good because he'd God? Or is there another metric to use? Or is God so supreme he supersedes all meaning: God is just God?
Or is this a case, IYO, where the word 'can' should be looked at more closely in the above quote?
It is possible to give own meanings to words and make the matter unclear.
Absolutely - every group does this to some extreme, though, I'd found religious people tend to do this more than others. Biased semantics I suppose.

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:37 am ... If God kills people (which he has) does that mean what he did was good because he'd God? Or is there another metric to use?...
I think what God does is good, because there is good reason for that.

brunumb
Savant

Post #9

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:37 am ... If God kills people (which he has) does that mean what he did was good because he'd God? Or is there another metric to use?...
If you do not know the actual reasons for God's actions then you cannot know that what he has done was good. You are extrapolating based on personal bias. It's hard to worship a monster so I guess it is necessary to use every trick in the book to whitewash his character.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

brunumb wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:04 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 pm
If you do not know the actual reasons for God's actions then you cannot know that what he has done was good. You are extrapolating based on personal bias. It's hard to worship a monster so I guess it is necessary to use every trick in the book to whitewash his character.
That's an issue: No on knows for sure. It's all based on faith. And faith is about as individualized as finger prints. Yet, we're expected to have faith just 'cause.