Why is sex so interesting to God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why is sex so interesting to God?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

We see 'the church' actively trying, throughout history, to control the sex lives of humanity. From saying what's right or what's wrong, to birth control, it seems like 'the church' has an interest in the sex lives of everyone, even committed couples. People even use the bible to say what's right and wrong in the context of sex.
While we can guess why 'the church' is interested in the sex lives of people, what's God's deal?
If he can see everything you do, why does sex seem to be one of his (many) hot buttons? Why does God want to control who (and in some cases, what) people have sex with?
Or does he not care and it's 'the church' that's taking up the battle?

MODS: If this better suits the RELIGION AND SEXUALITY section, feel free to move as necessary.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Why is sex so interesting to God?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

It's always been my opinion that because it was believed god should be the main focus of one's life anything that might significantly detract from it, such as sexual expression and pleasure, was a danger. A danger that needed constant watching and control, and what better way to do this than strictly limit it with censure, strict rules, and dire consequences. And censure, strict rules, and dire consequences handed down by god himself no less. "So let's put it in the Bible, along with prohibiting the wearing of garments made of more than one material, and forbidding the eating of fat."

Last edited by Miles on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

QUESTION Why is sex so interesting to God?

ANSWER: Because He invented it. It's normal to be intersted in one's own inventions: God created humans (who are sexuel beings), God invented sexual attraction, sexual intercourse, male and female genitilia, and God invented the orgasm.

JW
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SEX, SIN and ...HOMOSEXUALITY

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:04 pm QUESTION Why is sex so interesting to God?

ANSWER: Because He invented it. It's normal to be intersted in one's own inventions: God created humans (who are sexuel beings), God invented sexuel attraction, sexual intercourse, male and female genitilia, and God invented the orgasm.
Yeah, Ever notice he never tries to stop people from masturbating, engaging in anal sex (well most people anyway) or oral sex. Must be his favorites don't ya think. Image

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 am ....what's God's deal?
If he can see everything you do, why does sex seem to be one of his (many) hot buttons? Why does God want to control who (and in some cases, what) people have sex with?....
In Bible, there seems to be only few things about sex. Main things are that other’s spouse should not be taken, which I think is good. And other thing is sex that can be seen not healthy. I don’t see any reason to think there is a great interest in sex. And I think everything Bible tells about the matter is good and protects people.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:47 am
If he can see everything you do, why does sex seem to be one of his (many) hot buttons? Why does God want to control who (and in some cases, what) people have sex with?....
In Bible, there seems to be only few things about sex. Main things are that other’s spouse should not be taken, which I think is good. And other thing is sex that can be seen not healthy. I don’t see any reason to think there is a great interest in sex. And I think everything Bible tells about the matter is good and protects people.
Even these items....seems none of his business, really. To me, it's as though sex isn't something God should be concerned with in regards to humanity.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I agree completely with JehovahsWitnes’s response and would like to add to it. God cares about sex because it is life-giving and ultimately teaches us Love. It is through the family we learn to love and sex is how/why we have family. It’s actually quite beautiful. Unfortunately, I think many miss such wisdom and beauty.

Also, The Church cares about sex because Christ cares, because He loves us and wants us to be happy. (Christ left us His Church and said, "He who hears you, hears me . . .")

“The rules” aren’t meant to be a buzz kill – rather the opposite. They are so we can enjoy God’s awesome gift to its fullest.

I also might add, it is the culture that seems to be obsessed with sex in an unhealthy manner so I’d say you have it all backward.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

RightReason wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I agree completely with JehovahsWitnes’s response and would like to add to it. God cares about sex because it is life-giving and ultimately teaches us Love. It is through the family we learn to love and sex is how/why we have family. It’s actually quite beautiful. Unfortunately, I think many miss such wisdom and beauty.

Also, The Church cares about sex because Christ cares, because He loves us and wants us to be happy. (Christ left us His Church and said, "He who hears you, hears me . . .")

“The rules” aren’t meant to be a buzz kill – rather the opposite. They are so we can enjoy God’s awesome gift to its fullest.

I also might add, it is the culture that seems to be obsessed with sex in an unhealthy manner so I’d say you have it all backward.
No where did I say culture isn't obsessed with sex so your last sentence isn't necessary other than showing you apparent need to project from one source, the subject of this thread, to another.

Nor do I think sex teaches love. - seems you're the own that has that concept backwards. I also don't agree that "sex is how/why we have family" as family can encompass so much more than that. That idea of family is highly limited IMO.

To the thread topic:
Perhaps the thread title isn't the best, maybe we should exchange the word GOD with CHURCH. While I understand the need for churchers or believers or Christians (or whatever term we want to use here) to stress about sex in general, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense once you remove 'god' from the picture (assuming people want to mind their own business).
Then again, a lot of what believers think, do and say doesn't make a lot of sense once god is removed so no...no, I think the word GOD needs to stand in the title for that very reason.

What I find odd about your claim is that, if God cares so much about sex and the sex lives of individuals, why is there so many DON'Ts and so few DOs?
You can have sex only with your spouse (is what many say, though I have seen Christians say what makes a spouse isn't through marriage but by the act of sex itself, which other Christians disagree with so we have that perfect debate going on within the ranks).
Some say there's only one or two ways to have sex with your spouse.
Then we have the Catholic church (which some 'Christians' still don't consider 'Christian', yet another perfect debate from within the same ranks) that says when you can and or can't use birth control.
While I don't agree with all this, I do 'get it': people have to fall in line with what God says (or more accurately, what some guys said God has said).

But in all of this, I think I have answered my own question: no independent thinking allowed - do what you're told, like in the Garden, not what you may think on your own, or suffer the consequences.

Not that people are intelligent enough to know what's right and wrong, for them. They need to have a magical man in the sky telling them what's right and wrong, then pontificate about free will, all the while doing what they're told with little to no explanation as to 'why'. While technically it is free will, the consequences that many seem to say awaits those that disobey or think for themselves (aka not allowing god to tell them what to do), doesn't seem like true free will at all.

So, in essence, we don't need to think for ourselves. And sex, a highly personal thing, is one of the best way to control the masses. Do what you're told, not what you think is right or abstain from what's wrong. Otherwise, eternal damnation, eternal torture, eternal absence of God, or whatever other punishment a Christian want to claim, is waiting for those that don't do what they're told.
Free will at its best, indeed.

bjs1
Sage

Post #9

Post by bjs1 »

I agree with 1213. The Bible discuses many topics and there does not appear to be an excessive focus on sex. Most of the commands concerning sex are about adultery, which is a topic that transcends sex itself.

Perhaps the focus on sex seems outsized because people are focused on sex.

If you believe that Christianity is true, then you probably expect God to be interested in anything that is important to His people.

If you believe that Christianity is false, then you probably wonder why God takes an interest in any aspect of human life.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:47 am
In Bible, there seems to be only few things about sex. I don’t see any reason to think there is a great interest in sex.
Really? Because one website lists 100 bible verses under the heading "What does the Bible say about sex"

And maybe the Bible doesn't say much about sex in comparison to other issues, but there's still an inordinate amount of bible verses that address a variety of sexual issues. Particularly:

sexual immorality in general
male homosexual sex
female homosexual sex
having sex with women in general
lusting
lewdness,
breasts (the Bible rather likes attention paid to breasts---go figure)
unnatural relations with women
bestiality
impurity
covetousness
debauchery
prostitution
passion
sex before marriage
sex outside marriage
sex in addition to a marriage relationship (think threesomes here)
sensuality
orgies
shame of nakedness
adultery (which is understandable)
virginity
"passions of the flesh"
conjugal rights

But interestingly enough, not a thing about masturbation, anal sex or oral sex. Image