Why is sex so interesting to God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why is sex so interesting to God?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

We see 'the church' actively trying, throughout history, to control the sex lives of humanity. From saying what's right or what's wrong, to birth control, it seems like 'the church' has an interest in the sex lives of everyone, even committed couples. People even use the bible to say what's right and wrong in the context of sex.
While we can guess why 'the church' is interested in the sex lives of people, what's God's deal?
If he can see everything you do, why does sex seem to be one of his (many) hot buttons? Why does God want to control who (and in some cases, what) people have sex with?
Or does he not care and it's 'the church' that's taking up the battle?

MODS: If this better suits the RELIGION AND SEXUALITY section, feel free to move as necessary.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

dnj231

Re: Why is sex so interesting to God?

Post #61

Post by dnj231 »

Miles wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:40 pm
dnj231 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:14 pm You never defined the premises.
Is there a logical argument? I must have missed it. What was the conclusion?

Why is murder and theft so interesting to God?
My guess: Because he kills so many people and steals their lives from them.

I want to know the OP's definition of God and he/she thoughts of it's tenants its rules. OP struggles between "the church" and all ideologies. That would really settle this argument.

dnj231

Post #62

Post by dnj231 »

Excuse my poor grammar 😃

Miles
Savant

Post #63

Post by Miles »

dnj231 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:32 pm

I want to know the OP's definition of God and he/she thoughts of it's tenants its rules. OP struggles between "the church" and all ideologies. That would really settle this argument.
Hold on. How about answering my question first. You said "You [by which I assume you mean nobspeople, the author of the OP] never defined the premises." And I'm still curious as to what the conclusion was for which you're looking for premises. What was the conclusion?

dnj231

Post #64

Post by dnj231 »

Miles wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:04 pm

Hold on. How about answering my question first. You said "You [by which I assume you mean nobspeople, the author of the OP] never defined the premises." And I'm still curious as to what the conclusion was for which you're looking for premises. What was the conclusion?

Miles,
My initial post was never directed towards you. Sorry about that ?

Miles
Savant

Post #65

Post by Miles »

dnj231 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:24 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:04 pm

Miles,
My initial post was never directed towards you. Sorry about that ?
Well you certainly seemed to appreciate my input when, in post 59, you said:

"These users thanked the author Miles for the post:
dnj231"

So I figured it made no difference if your initial post was directed toward me or not. But in as much as it does now . . .

. . . have a good day.

otseng
Savant

Post #66

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:15 pm If you are concerned your world view is wrong I can only suggest you seek help from a preacher, priest, lawyer or mental health care professional.
Moderator Comment

Please avoid suggesting to others about seeking help, esp in regards to mental health.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #67

Post by nobspeople »

Dimmesdale wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:18 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 am We see 'the church' actively trying, throughout history, to control the sex lives of humanity. From saying what's right or what's wrong, to birth control, it seems like 'the church' has an interest in the sex lives of everyone, even committed couples. People even use the bible to say what's right and wrong in the context of sex.
While we can guess why 'the church' is interested in the sex lives of people, what's God's deal?
If he can see everything you do, why does sex seem to be one of his (many) hot buttons? Why does God want to control who (and in some cases, what) people have sex with?
Or does he not care and it's 'the church' that's taking up the battle?

MODS: If this better suits the RELIGION AND SEXUALITY section, feel free to move as necessary.
I believe eroticism exists in God in a sense. Many mystics have reported experiences which seem to mirror the ecstasies felt in orgasm. This is not to say sex exists in any gross form in God. But perhaps what we find on earth is a mirror of that ecstatic joy. Perhaps God thinks that, given how the world is sinful, we are apt to pervert this natural urgency of the sexual instinct - and therefore also pervert the meaning of true ecstatic joy.

If we are given to think that sexuality is the highest good in terms of pleasure, then we may idolize it and overlook what it really mirrors - something deeper that exists in God.
It makes me wonder if this feeling they, well, feel, is more mental than an actual real feeling.
In other words, do these mystics experience what they want, developed by themselves (unconsciously maybe?) and attribute it to more than it is?
Of course, all feelings could be, in a sense, seen that way.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #68

Post by JehovahsWitness »

If by interesting it is meant "enjoys observing or participating in" then I dont believe either is to YHWH (Jehovah) my God. They are however part of our human history, and since the bible centers on the human condition mentioned in scripture.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #69

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:58 pm

If by interesting it is meant "enjoys observing or participating in" then I dont believe either is to YHWH (Jehovah) my God. They are however part of our human history, and since the bible centers on the human condition mentioned in scripture.

JW

https://www.vocativ.com/news/309748/all ... index.html
From above source:
"Of the 107 occasions where God’s unimaginable killing power can be counted, a single massacre in 2 Chronicles immediately makes that book the bloodiest in the entire book. Asa, King of Judah, one of the 12 tribes of Israel, begged the Lord to stop an army of “a thousand thousand” Ethiopians, which were attacking his kingdom. God liked Asa because he “took away the alters of the strange gods,” and so his request was granted. “The Lord smote the Ethiopians … they were destroyed before the Lord,” it states in 2 Chronicles 14:12-13. It’s one of several times God steps in to help his followers, the Israelites, win a war.

But God doesn’t discriminate—earlier in 2 Chronicles, the Lord smites 500,000 of his own men, simply because other Israelites ask him to. Facing an ambush from the defected Kingdom of Israel, the men of Judah “cried onto the Lord.” It was all God needed. “There fell down slain of Israel five hundred thousand chosen men,” it’s written in 2 Chronicles 13:17."

Sure seems like he's interested in it, at least in some fashion.
Of course, all these killings were justified I'm sure. :chuckel:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #70

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Sure seems like he's interested in it, at least in some fashion.
Of course, all these killings were justified I'm sure.
Yes I agree, tGod never kills without just reason.

However I was addressing the question of "murder* and lying" (which God is never depicted as doing) rather than killing which, sadly he has had to do on occassion but only as you speculated, when entirely justified. If by "interested" in murder and lyjng, you mean concerned about them happening and not indifferent to their effects, then yes I believe God is interested in murder and killing. Being interested in a crime is the first requirement if a judge is to give justice to its victims.

* murder: unlawful killing
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8