Why is sex so interesting to God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why is sex so interesting to God?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

We see 'the church' actively trying, throughout history, to control the sex lives of humanity. From saying what's right or what's wrong, to birth control, it seems like 'the church' has an interest in the sex lives of everyone, even committed couples. People even use the bible to say what's right and wrong in the context of sex.
While we can guess why 'the church' is interested in the sex lives of people, what's God's deal?
If he can see everything you do, why does sex seem to be one of his (many) hot buttons? Why does God want to control who (and in some cases, what) people have sex with?
Or does he not care and it's 'the church' that's taking up the battle?

MODS: If this better suits the RELIGION AND SEXUALITY section, feel free to move as necessary.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Why is sex so interesting to God?

Post #71

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:03 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Sure seems like he's interested in it, at least in some fashion.
Of course, all these killings were justified I'm sure.
Yes I agree, tGod never kills without just reason.

However I was addressing the question of "murder* and lying" (which God is never depicted as doing) rather than killing which, sadly he has had to do on occassion but only as you speculated, when entirely justified. If by "interested" in murder and lyjng, you mean concerned about them happening and not indifferent to their effects, then yes I believe God is interested in murder and killing. Being interested in a crime is the first requirement if a judge is to give justice to its victims.

* murder: unlawful killing
I don't know about lying (but I don't think he was totally truthful at times in the bible), but he surely killed people, as I see it. And by killing I mean unjustifiable killing. Not that there's anything I can do about it, but that IMO on the matter.
I wonder why killing is something such a supreme being is interested in at all? I mean, surely he's above such barbaric, common place practices and emotions as, by comparison, people are. But I don't hold God up to as high of a standard as some people.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #72

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:13 pm
And by killing I mean unjustifiable killing. ...
I disagree, every single instance when God has chosen to take a life, or even (as in the case of many bible accounts allow a life to be taken) it has, in my opinon been justifiable.

... I mean, surely he's above such barbaric, common place practices and emotions
I agree, God is above barbarism. He is always just, balanced and controlled, even in his justified righteous anger. And he is never cruel (willfully indifferent the affects of his actions). The bible says he takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked and certainly not in those who they are responsible for.
... I don't hold God up to as high of a standard as some people.

That much is evident, what is less clear is why.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #73

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #73]
every single instance when God has chosen to take a life, or even (as in the case of many bible accounts allow a life to be taken) it has, in my opinon been justifiable.
I don't see how that's possible honestly, but we each believe what we want.
God is above barbarism...
Not from what I read. Not always, I should say. He seemed quite 'human-like', especially in the Old Testament: wars, sacrifices, drowning, drowning again..... doesn't seem civilized at all, even for a human, much less a supreme being.
That much is evident, what is less clear is why.
I tried not to make it so obvious 8-)
I started listing some of the reasons but deleted them. Why? Because you wouldn't accept them - you truly don't care. No one on here does. Which is fine - I don't loose sleep over it.
Ultimately it boils down to this:
Your God isn't real outside your mind.
You've constructed a being which fits your world and reject all others, based on a book, your experiences and what you 'think' is God. As such, there's no reason to hold your god (aka God) to any standard, hi, lo, intermediate.
And that's fine for you - believe in what ever magical puffy thing you'd like. Or not. So long as you don't force it on others, I don't much care. Outside of that, how you (general) treat others - that's something of importance IMO.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #74

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:56 pm
God is above barbarism...
Not from what I read.
Yes from what I've read.

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:56 pm
Not always...
Yes always. Always a good reason, never hasty and unfeeling. Always with a view to saving the righteous and rendering justice to the oppressed. Always with the longterm view of saving humanity.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, "BAD" GOD and ...THE DIVINE PERSONALITY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #75

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:56 pm Your God isn't real outside your mind.
Can you prove that? If not you are sharing a belief. You believe God isnt real and that's fine for you - believe whatever you'd like. If it makes happy to believe that, enjoy. Of course that doesnt make what you believe true, but of course I suspect you know that.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #76

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #75]
Yes from what I've read.
Fortunately I don't read any Watchtower publications. It might very well stroke God's ego enough to make believe it.
Always a good reason, never hasty and unfeeling.
If you think drowning babies, animals for no other reason that he was 'mad' and woman in the middle of giving birth (though not documented in detail in the bible, but in a world full of people, this must have been happening at some point) not 'hasty' and 'feeling' then I understand why you think how you do.
Can you prove [God isn't real outside your mind]?
I proved it for me. And for me, that's all that matters. But to answer your issue:
I can't prove my claim any more than you can prove it's not outside your mind, which I'm sure you are aware, no?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #77

nobspeople wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:48 am
If you think drowning babies, animals for no other reason that he was 'mad' and woman in the middle of giving birth (though not documented in detail in the bible, but in a world full of people, this must have been happening at some point) not 'hasty' and 'feeling' then I understand why you think how you do.
I do not recall asking for your understanding. That God had no other reason for his action is your belief. I do not share them or the rationale upon which your conclusion is based.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #78

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:53 am
I do not recall askjng for your understanding. That God had no other reason for his action is your belief. I do not share them or the rationale upon which your conclusion is based.

JW
I would hazard a guess that there is no rationale in your eyes past 'God said'. Which is fine, of course, for those that accept what they're told from the bible, watchtower, watchtower leader, editor, elder, guy on the street corner.
I, maybe in a sinful way, choose to think about what was done and avoid the ''cause God said' and 'anything God says of does is right and I have to contort reality to make it seem right to me'.
But to each their own!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #79

I proved it for me. And for me, that's all that matters. But to answer your issue:
I can't prove my claim ...
Emphasis MINE

Well then ...thanks for sharing your beliefs. In that you are no different than any believer. You can't prove your claim but you believe it anyway: that is what many would call ... faith. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, faith in something or someone is for many, a basic component of life. That said it is ironic to see someone express distain for those that express their beliefs about God, all the while expressing beliefs about God.

Same tune, different sandals.

JW

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #80

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:04 am
I can't prove my claim ...
Emphasis MINE

Well then ...thanks for sharing your beliefs. In that you are no different than any believer. You can't prove your claim but you believe it anyway: that is what many would call ... faith. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, faith in something or someone is for many, a basic component of life. That said it is ironic to see someone express distain for those that express their beliefs about God, all the while expressing beliefs about God.

Same tune, different sandals.

JW
Why would you think an opinion from one, about a belief, is any better or worse than any other's belief? Or that it's surprising someone has a belief about anything?
That makes literally no sense.
Do you think you caught me in a quandary? That I can't prove my belief?!? Oh my god!!!
No where did I ever claim my beliefs are right, here or otherwise.
All beliefs are faith based, are they not?