Why would God do this?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tommy63
Student

Why would God do this?

Post #1

Post by Tommy63 »

It has been a long time since I have been on here. For 17 years I have tried my best to follow what the Bible has told me to do. I have not been perfect in my walk, but I have tried to do the best I can.

For the past 2 years now I have started to question my beliefs in my religion, and have started to lose my faith in what God can do. My whole life has been one failure after another. I have never been able to be happy due to judgement, gossip, lies, and greed being placed upon me. I was told by the bible that if you knock, it would be opened for you....ask, and you shall receive....that we are God's children....and God loves us. I have read these things, but have not seen them in my life, which has caused me to question the things I have read, and been told. Here are a few of the things that are heavy on my soul now.

1. I understand that God created the heavens and the earth, and that satan was expelled from heaven. I would have to assume that satan was kick out of heaven after God created the earth and put Adam and Eve there, for how could satan have fell to earth if it was not created yet? With that being said, If God is the most powerful, why would he allowed satan to fall to earth, a place he created, and placed man upon it to live in peace and harmony, with beauty all around? God also told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree. If God is everywhere, all the time, why would he have allowed satan to enter the garden of Eden, and why would he allow satan to persuade Eve to eat from the tree? If he expelled satan from heaven, could He not have expelled him from earth or smite him down? Man is now punished for something God allowed to happen. Why would God do this?

2. The story of Noah talks about God flooding the earth because of sin overwhelming earth. Since God allowed satan to fall to earth, and not protect his children from this evil by destroying satan, is this not God's fault for allowing the evil to grow? Why is man to blame for a seed that God allowed to be planted on this earth? Why would God do this?

3. Man has always been a sinner since the days of Eden. I know the Bible is written by man. I know that there were debates over which books would be put in the Bible. I know that Jesus is a part of God made into man that came to earth. So if Jesus is God himself as man, then why didn't Jesus write the bible? Why would God put trust in man, who has failed short of the glory because of his vanity, greed, lies, and temptations, why would God allow man to write the Bible? Why would God do this?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Why would God do this?

Post #41

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #39]
Eve didn't actually reject God, she believed the serpent/devil, when the devil's message was you surely shall not die if you eat of the fruit of good and evil, and can determine good and evil separately from the commandment/commandments of God.
That's debatable at best. At the very least, it nets the same thing based on the story: death.

Additionally, simply by believing the devil is the same as rejecting god simply when it comes to good vs. bad.

"but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36

"Yet if in spite of this you do not obey Me, but act with hostility against Me, then I will act with wrathful hostility against you, and I, even I, will punish you seven times for your sins." Leviticus 26:27-28

"but he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God" Luke 12:9

“But if you turn away and forsake My statutes and My commandments which I have set before you, and go and serve other gods and worship them, then I will uproot you from My land which I have given you, and this house which I have consecrated for My name I will cast out of My sight and I will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples." 2 Chronicles 7:19-20
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tommy63
Student

Post #42

Post by Tommy63 »

Okay....I'm going to stop this thread now, as we are starting to go down rabbit holes here.

For starters, I was only explaining what was laying heavy on my heart, and was not asking for an answer, as there is no way to answer these things.

We have been left with words written by man, to try and figure out why we are here, and where do we go from here, and we are told we must believe these words are true, not by God, but by man.

No one here has ever had God speak to them, and if they say He has, there is no way to prove it true.

No one here knows where heaven is.

No one knows where hell is.

I know what the Bible says, but in my years of life on this planet, we are not doing what we are told to do in the Bible, and the only answer that man can give me is I have to trust in something without knowing if it is the truth.

Only God can answer these questions I have, not man. So I now have to live my life not knowing why.

I do thank you for trying to help me, but for me this thread has ended.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by Mithrae »

Tommy63 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 pm We have been left with words written by man, to try and figure out why we are here, and where do we go from here, and we are told we must believe these words are true, not by God, but by man.

No one here has ever had God speak to them, and if they say He has, there is no way to prove it true.

No one here knows where heaven is.

No one knows where hell is.

I know what the Bible says, but in my years of life on this planet, we are not doing what we are told to do in the Bible, and the only answer that man can give me is I have to trust in something without knowing if it is the truth.

Only God can answer these questions I have, not man. So I now have to live my life not knowing why.
If I were still religious I'd probably say that embracing uncertainty is the beginning of faith. Many Christians seem to think that faith equals false certainty, dogmatism with no doubts: Hence the need to reverence the bible as the supposed 'word of God,' so that everything is nailed down in black and white... whichever bits they choose to emphasize, at least. It's an ultimately selfish attitude which prioritizes our own wants - our discomfort with not knowing stuff - rather than the needs of others. I think a big part of the reason is because they don't do what Jesus tells them to do, nor even try to use his 1st century prescriptions as a loose guide for better living in the 21st. It's much easier to feel good about ourselves (and to try and get more bums on pews) by saying that the important thing is what we believe, rather than the wealth we're hoarding, the poor and hungry we're ignoring and the marginalized people we're shunning. The same applies for many non-Christians also, of course.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #44

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:51 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:52 am [Replying to Tcg in post #32]

All men die, including David for his iniquities, and Paul and his contemporary followers for their sins.
The coward David got away with adultery and the murder of a true war hero.

The child's death was just a further punishment for David...
Yes. Just as I said. The child died because of his father's iniquity not because of his own.

Tcg
As you judge others, so shall you be judged. King David is slated to rule the world again (Ezekiel 37:24), you might have to get used to it. As for your lily white soul, have you looked at a woman with lust in your heart?

Tcg
Savant

Post #45

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:11 pm

All men die, including David for his iniquities, and Paul and his contemporary followers for their sins.

Yes. Just as I said. The child died because of his father's iniquity not because of his own.

Tcg
As you judge others, so shall you be judged. King David is slated to rule the world again (Ezekiel 37:24), you might have to get used to it. As for your lily white soul, have you looked at a woman with lust in your heart?
None of this changes the fact that, at least according to the story, David's child died because of David's iniquities.

I never claimed to have a "lily white soul", but unlike David, I've never committed adultery nor have I ever murdered anyone and certainly haven't a murdered a war hero in an attempt to hide the theft of another man's wife. I have no fear of being judged in any of these areas.

As far as David ruling the world, he's long dead and no longer a worry for anyone.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #46

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:31 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:11 pm

Tcg
None of this changes the fact that, at least according to the story, David's child died because of David's iniquities.

I never claimed to have a "lily white soul", but unlike David, I've never committed adultery nor have I ever murdered anyone and certainly haven't a murdered a war hero in an attempt to hide the theft of another man's wife. I have no fear of being judged in any of these areas.

As far as David ruling the world, he's long dead and no longer a worry for anyone.

Tcg
Apparently, according to Ezekiel 34:1-23, the "fat" "shepherds" have judgment and destruction to worry about, plus being ruled by "My servant David".

As for adultery, I am thinking that if you have ever looked at a women with lust, you have already been convicted (Matthew 5:28).

Rational Atheist
Student

Post #47

Post by Rational Atheist »

Tommy63 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:59 am It has been a long time since I have been on here. For 17 years I have tried my best to follow what the Bible has told me to do. I have not been perfect in my walk, but I have tried to do the best I can.

For the past 2 years now I have started to question my beliefs in my religion, and have started to lose my faith in what God can do. My whole life has been one failure after another. I have never been able to be happy due to judgement, gossip, lies, and greed being placed upon me. I was told by the bible that if you knock, it would be opened for you....ask, and you shall receive....that we are God's children....and God loves us. I have read these things, but have not seen them in my life, which has caused me to question the things I have read, and been told. Here are a few of the things that are heavy on my soul now.

1. I understand that God created the heavens and the earth, and that satan was expelled from heaven. I would have to assume that satan was kick out of heaven after God created the earth and put Adam and Eve there, for how could satan have fell to earth if it was not created yet? With that being said, If God is the most powerful, why would he allowed satan to fall to earth, a place he created, and placed man upon it to live in peace and harmony, with beauty all around? God also told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree. If God is everywhere, all the time, why would he have allowed satan to enter the garden of Eden, and why would he allow satan to persuade Eve to eat from the tree? If he expelled satan from heaven, could He not have expelled him from earth or smite him down? Man is now punished for something God allowed to happen. Why would God do this?

2. The story of Noah talks about God flooding the earth because of sin overwhelming earth. Since God allowed satan to fall to earth, and not protect his children from this evil by destroying satan, is this not God's fault for allowing the evil to grow? Why is man to blame for a seed that God allowed to be planted on this earth? Why would God do this?

3. Man has always been a sinner since the days of Eden. I know the Bible is written by man. I know that there were debates over which books would be put in the Bible. I know that Jesus is a part of God made into man that came to earth. So if Jesus is God himself as man, then why didn't Jesus write the bible? Why would God put trust in man, who has failed short of the glory because of his vanity, greed, lies, and temptations, why would God allow man to write the Bible? Why would God do this?
Because God doesn't exist and the Bible is a collection of fables written by humans who weren't smart enough to write a book without massively problematic contradictions.

Tcg
Savant

Post #48

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:43 am
Apparently, according to Ezekiel 34:1-23, the "fat" "shepherds" have judgment and destruction to worry about, plus being ruled by "My servant David".
I'm not a shepherd of any kind. Beyond that, a scare tactic involving a person who died long ago doesn't worry me in the least.

As for adultery, I am thinking that if you have ever looked at a women with lust, you have already been convicted (Matthew 5:28).
Why should I consider Jesus' ramblings authoritative? As I've already stated clearly, unlike David, I am not guilty of adultery and never murdered a true war hero to cover the theft of his wife.

Scare tactics and guilt trips don't work on me. I'm not scared of events that will never happen and have nothing to feel guilty about. Now if you've got any verifiable evidence to present, that I'll consider.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #49

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:51 pm
I'm not a shepherd of any kind. Beyond that, a scare tactic involving a person who died long ago doesn't worry me in the least.

Why should I consider Jesus' ramblings authoritative? As I've already stated clearly, unlike David, I am not guilty of adultery and never murdered a true war hero to cover the theft of his wife.

Scare tactics and guilt trips don't work on me. I'm not scared of events that will never happen and have nothing to feel guilty about. Now if you've got any verifiable evidence to present, that I'll consider.

Tcg
I must assume you take the Law and the prophets as true witnesses if you believe that David slept with someone's wife and let his general die in battle. What other evidence do you have that that occurred. If the Law and the prophets are true, then Ezekiel 34 is true, and the "fat" "shepherds" were given enough rope to hang themselves, and will be judged and destroyed. And what is a "fat" "shepherd", but someone who doesn't feed, or heal the sheep, but who eats of their fat (resources). As for you being "scared", if you have done nothing wrong, and happy with your situation, what would you have to worry about. When the world starts to fall apart, you can always claim that you weren't warned of what was about to happen or why. If you want evidence of the things to come, look at your newest progressive president, sleepy Joe. The writings is on the wall. It only takes someone who can read what is written. Not that Chief Justice Roberts won't fall because of his Epstein involvement and who is now in a situation to be black mailed, and the military might hold court on the election due to foreign involvement per the 2018 executive order, or that the Arizona Senate will get an audit, but that would be a light in a dark room, and would depend on God's love for the deplorables whose votes were switched per weighted race software.
https://www.sgtreport.com/2020/11/domin ... -response/ According to Lt General General Mcinerney, the vote was 169 million for Biden and 179 million for Trump. The military confiscated the Dominion software in Germany. https://noqreport.com/2021/01/13/lt-gen ... s-started/ The war has started, and it will play out in the middle east centered around Biden's friend, Iran (Elam), and it will affect everyone. (Zechariah 14) & (Jeremiah 49:35).
http://www.truenewshub.com/politicalite ... %20Germany.

Tcg
Savant

Post #50

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:28 pm
Tcg wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Tcg
I must assume you take the Law and the prophets as true witnesses if you believe that David slept with someone's wife and let his general die in battle.
If you had paid careful attention to my posts you would have noted when I stated, "according to the story." So no, I don't take the law and prophets as a true witness.
What other evidence do you have that that occurred.
None, thus my statement, "according to the story."
If the Law and the prophets are true, then Ezekiel 34 is true, and the "fat" "shepherds" were given enough rope to hang themselves, and will be judged and destroyed. And what is a "fat" "shepherd", but someone who doesn't feed, or heal the sheep, but who eats of their fat (resources).
Nice try, but as I've already explained. I don't accept the law and the prophets as true. Given this, relying on my testimony provides no support for the claims of Ezekiel 34 or any other biblical mthology.
As for you being "scared", if you have done nothing wrong, and happy with your situation, what would you have to worry about.
As I explained quite clearly I am neither scared nor worried. This is precisely why your attempt to generate either fails completely.
When the world starts to fall apart, you can always claim that you weren't warned of what was about to happen or why.
An additional scare tactic is as useless as the original.
If you want evidence of the things to come, look at your newest progressive president, sleepy Joe. The writings is on the wall. It only takes someone who can read what is written. Not that Chief Justice Roberts won't fall because of his Epstein involvement and who is now in a situation to be black mailed, and the military might hold court on the election due to foreign involvement per the 2018 executive order, or that the Arizona Senate will get an audit, but that would be a light in a dark room, and would depend on God's love for the deplorables whose votes were switched per weighted race software.
https://www.sgtreport.com/2020/11/domin ... -response/ According to Lt General General Mcinerney, the vote was 169 million for Biden and 179 million for Trump. The military confiscated the Dominion software in Germany. https://noqreport.com/2021/01/13/lt-gen ... s-started/ The war has started, and it will play out in the middle east centered around Biden's friend, Iran (Elam), and it will affect everyone. (Zechariah 14) & (Jeremiah 49:35).
http://www.truenewshub.com/politicalite ... %20Germany.
Political based conspiracy theories don't worry me either.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom